Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,397
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:32:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2022

Started by selectivememory, January 04, 2022, 12:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selectivememory

Quote from: chveik on January 22, 2022, 02:54:07 AMhope simona wins the whole thing, she won't get many more shots

Yeah, that defensive game probably isn't built to last deep into her thirties. And she was very unlucky with how it went when she made the AO final a few years back, so it would be pretty sweet to see her win it now. Draw's opened up nicely for her to make the semis at least.

rjd2

Not sure Mertens done ought of note in the last few months but cruising along.

Collins is a bit of a berk, definitely get the vibe that she was all in on Clinton in 2016 and hasn't recovered from the loss , but it was a fun match with Tauson who can't be far away from really breaking through big time.

selectivememory

Oof. I'd heard Keys was in some blistering form here, but she really is looking good. Badosa just blasted off the court.

chveik

yeah that was pretty ruthless from her

rjd2

She was scratchy the other night was Keys so a small shock, but yeah when in the zone she is so good.

Badosa is talented but has done sfa in slams so far.

Aza gone which is also pleasing but a little perplexing as she excellent v Svitolina.

Deanjam

God that Shapovalov/Zverev result felt good.

selectivememory

Nice one Shapo. May Zverev continue to flop every time he comes up against half decent opposition in the slams.

buttgammon

Enjoyed watching Monfils win this morning, although he did look done in by the end of the match.

It's a minor gripe but have Eurosport ever successfully shown the first point of a set?

Deanjam

Quote from: buttgammon on January 23, 2022, 10:38:49 AMIt's a minor gripe but have Eurosport ever successfully shown the first point of a set?

No. Just be thankful they don't turn over before the end for some skiing.

buttgammon

Quote from: Deanjam on January 23, 2022, 10:58:59 AMNo. Just be thankful they don't turn over before the end for some skiing.

I happened to be watching at the time - that was unforgivable!

Deanjam

No allez Cornet? Come on French fans! Turning into a good slam for the French.

selectivememory

Bottom half of the draw pretty open now. Swiatek's in a real fight with Cirstea, and if she doesn't make it through, the only top seed left is Sabalenka with her malfunctioning serve.

selectivememory

Swiatek's squeaked through that one. Real consistent performer at the majors now; keeps making the second week and has only really lost to very good players since she won RG. Real chance at making the final here, though I guess a lot will depend on how Sabalenka does.

selectivememory

Just when you think Sabalenka's turned the match around, she throws in three double faults and gets broken to love. Kind of wanted her to win this one, would have enjoyed her up against Swiatek.

Edit: and then she saves four match points and breaks back, and then holds easily. Loving the absolute chaos of her matches lately.

selectivememory

Quarters then:

Barty - Pegula
Keys - Krejcikova
Collins - Cornet
Swiatek - Kanepi

Nadal - Shapovalov
Monfils - Berrettini
Tsitsipas - Sinner
Medvedev - Auger-Aliassime

Pretty good line up. Can genuinely say I'm happy with any men's winner now, which is very rare at this stage.

Deanjam

My choices would be Barty (for the home fans) and Monfils.

selectivememory

I'd also like Barty to win, partly for the home crowd thing, partly because I think she's better than everyone else and it would be nice to have a strong and undisputed no.1 in the WTA. She's been a bit of an underachiever in the majors thus far, though still has plenty of time to make up for it.

Would happily settle for Swiatek, Keys, Krejcikova or even Collins though.

And yeah, Monfils would definitely be my preference.

druss

Quote from: selectivememory on January 24, 2022, 01:09:20 PMQuarters then:

Barty - Pegula
Keys - Krejcikova
Collins - Cornet
Swiatek - Kanepi

Nadal - Shapovalov
Monfils - Berrettini
Tsitsipas - Sinner
Medvedev - Auger-Aliassime

Pretty good line up. Can genuinely say I'm happy with any men's winner now, which is very rare at this stage.
It's "anyone but Nadal" for me.

chveik

wild shit

sabalenka has no business being no. 2, she's a mess

chveik

selectivememory

Unfortunately not. Watching it on Eurosport. Haven't found a decent stream in a while.

selectivememory

Tough match-up for Monfils. Playing really well at times, but Berrettini's just so solid, and his level doesn't seem to drop. Ah, well.

selectivememory

Allez! The fightback is on.

druss

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/60124407

He's right of course. I find Nadal unwatchable due to the amount of time he takes between points, must be even more frustrating when you are playing against him.

selectivememory

Damn. Couldn't keep the intensity up into the final set. But Berrettini was very impressive. Definitely has a shot against Rafa.

selectivememory

Brilliant match here between Medvedev and FAA. Didn't know Felix had a performance like this in him.

buttgammon

Really enjoying this match. Auger-Aliassime seems to have responded well to losing match point and then the fourth set.

buttgammon

selectivememory

That felt like the first dip in his level. For four hours he's been so solid. Might just cost him the match though unfortunately.

buttgammon

Bloody hell, that was some match.