Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:23:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Moon Knight, new Disney Plus Marvel show

Started by samadriel, January 18, 2022, 12:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samadriel

Comes out in March. Looks kind of different to most Marvel, I'm looking forward to it. What say you, haters?

https://youtu.be/BNnk3AvyWF0

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

samadriel

bgmnts

Does anyone care about Moon Knight? I remember him being in the Marvel Ultimate Alliance game but that's it. I've never even seen a comic book of his in a shop or heard anyone talk about him.

samadriel

mothman

Presumably he has some other previous identity/persona (Mark not Steven) who isn't English which explains why they've cast Oscar Isaac and his rather Chris-Pratt-does-Essex accent.

Jerzy Bondov

The 6 issue Warren Ellis run is brilliant, collected as "From the Dead" if you wanted to track that down. Moon Knight is weird as fuck.

Dr Rock

Quote from: bgmnts on January 18, 2022, 12:46:07 PMDoes anyone care about Moon Knight?

He's got a sizeable cult following. I like the character. Batman but properly mental.

letsgobrian

I was expecting something resembling that Shalvey/Ellis run, in part because it reads like a bible for a TV show and because the current run written by Jed MacKay with art by Alessandro Cappuccio feels like they wanted something similar to the Ellis run on the shelves, but not have the disgraced Ellis's name on it.

But instead it appears to be 1985's Moon Knight: Fist of Khonshu from Alan Zelenetz & Chris Warner that's the inspiration here.

An odd choice on the surface, but that seems to be the era of comics that both Marvel & DC TV shows are mining these days.

madhair60

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 18, 2022, 01:43:37 PMThe 6 issue Warren Ellis run is brilliant, collected as "From the Dead" if you wanted to track that down. Moon Knight is weird as fuck.

£85.

samadriel

bakabaka

Moon Roach had quite a long run in Cerebus, fighting capitalism by dropping large stone crescent moons on businessmen and politicians. A hero for our times.

The Culture Bunker

Can't say I think much of the "cor blimey, guv'nor" accents, for which I blame Michael Caine's Alfred Pennyworth. I guess the main thing that stood out was the absence of any connections to other Marvel shows/films, unless I (quite probably) missed something.

Probably for that reason, it's ratings won't be great and six eps will be yer lot. 

samadriel

Setting all the connectivity stuff aside, this is the most appealing Marvel trailer I've seen on Disney Plus. Actually, I think the lack of connectivity is a plus for me, even though I've seen all the recent movies; I really can't be arsed with Wandavision and Loki, I'm not in a rush to watch What If, and I'm finding Hawkeye hard to finish, so a lot of TV connections are likely to go over my head.

(Still got a massive anticipatory boner for She-Hulk though, that's gonna be great.)

The Culture Bunker

Whilst I do enjoy the connectivity stuff, I do get what you mean - it'll be interesting to see if Disney can build something up entirely on it's own merits, rather than relying on a character from one of the films turning up in the last couple of episodes. It worked for the Daredevil/Punisher shows, which I think made at most very fleeting references to the films.

Lord Mandrake

I think his out with the accent is that the charachter is an American impersonating a Brit, probably without realising it.

The connections will likely tie in to Eternals post credits.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on January 18, 2022, 05:37:02 PMI think his out with the accent is that the charachter is an American impersonating a Brit, probably without realising it.

I just wish they had gone a bit leftfield and have him sounding like he's from the Cornwall or Carlisle.

samadriel

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on January 18, 2022, 05:37:02 PMI think his out with the accent is that the charachter is an American impersonating a Brit, probably without realising it.

The connections will likely tie in to Eternals post credits.

Oh yeah, wouldn't mind seeing Kit Harrington in it, or even Mahershala Ali, although MK might be a bit low profile for the reveal of the new Blade.

This article blah-blahs about Ethan Hawke's character: https://thedirect.com/article/moon-knight-ethan-hawke-marvel-character

phantom_power

I thought it was a decent stab at an estuary twang and not the normal "posh" or "vague cockney" American actors often go for when they try for an English accent

samadriel

Hey, you know who I want to see who's even more obscure than Moon Knight?

BROTHER VOODOO.

I love that guy, years ago I bought a compilation reprinting a bunch of old Marvel horror characters, and his story stayed with me. Shame Sony own Morbius, I hope their movie is better than it looks.

Mister Six

At last, a Marvel hero who's a British guy played by an American, not an American guy played by a Brit.

Hope they introduce Captain Midlands.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: madhair60 on January 18, 2022, 03:30:52 PM£85.
if only there was another way to Get Comics hehehehehe wink wink 😉 ooooooooo

mothman

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 18, 2022, 04:27:16 PMI guess the main thing that stood out was the absence of any connections to other Marvel shows/films, unless I (quite probably) missed something.

Probably for that reason, it's ratings won't be great and six eps will be yer lot. 

I suspect the connections will be there; the thing with this is, it's a whole new character being introduced instead of all the TV shows so far which have been based on established ones.

What strikes me is the way Marvel is introducing new heroes right now. The individuals seem to be coming in via TV (OK, streaming, but still TV) - Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel; while ensembles/teams come on via film - Shang Chi, Eternals. Contrasted with how the MCU was established, it suggests they're playing safe and only gambling on cinema releases for proven characters (Strange, Ant-Man) or ensemble pieces which have something for everyone.

Crenners

This looks like a real game changer for the mcu. One to look forward to.

Mister Six

Quote from: mothman on January 18, 2022, 07:47:20 PMI suspect the connections will be there; the thing with this is, it's a whole new character being introduced instead of all the TV shows so far which have been based on established ones.

What strikes me is the way Marvel is introducing new heroes right now. The individuals seem to be coming in via TV (OK, streaming, but still TV) - Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel; while ensembles/teams come on via film - Shang Chi, Eternals. Contrasted with how the MCU was established, it suggests they're playing safe and only gambling on cinema releases for proven characters (Strange, Ant-Man) or ensemble pieces which have something for everyone.

Shang-Chi was a standard solo superhero origin thing, not a team movie, but maybe you're onto something. The only non-sequel films that have been slated seem to be Fantastic Four and Blade (both with no set date), and they're reboots of existing film properties.

Then again, I suppose most of the Disney+ series have been hung on film characters, even if they introduce new characters for the films to okay around with.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Crenners on January 18, 2022, 07:55:41 PMThis looks like a real game changer for the mcu. One to look forward to.

Yeah.....

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 18, 2022, 01:43:37 PMThe 6 issue Warren Ellis run is brilliant, collected as "From the Dead" if you wanted to track that down. Moon Knight is weird as fuck.

It'll have to be digitally but, as the paperback goes for ridiculous money on eBay, like 60 or 70 quid last I checked. It is ace, right enough.

Edit: I see this has been mentioned. Wait til the show comes out and it'll be about 3 quid on Comixology.

13 schoolyards

The Moon Knight series that Ellis' six issues started ended up running for (I think) eighteen issues all up, with new creative teams every six issues. So maybe Marvel might put out a big book collecting the whole series to get the (very good) Ellis issues back in print without just reprinting the notorious sex pest's work on its own?

The Ellis issues worked because they largely kept the mental stuff about the character as creepy hints, barely focused on Moon Knight's personality(-ies) at all and just had him as a solo high(er)-tech Batman who took on weird crime cases and also beat the crap out of an entire building. Going by the trailer this seems to be taking the opposite approach, so we might get him punching a mugger by episode three