Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:41:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

13 year old kid DESTROYS Tetris

Started by Deskbound Cunt, January 04, 2024, 12:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
QuoteA 13-year-old in Oklahoma is believed to be the first person ever to beat Tetris since the game's release more than three decades ago.

Previously, only bots powered by artificial intelligence had forced the game, popularised by the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) and Game Boy consoles, to its "kill screen", where its signature blocks are falling so fast that the game itself can't continue. In a video documenting his feat and posted on Tuesday, the Oklahoma teenager, known as Blue Scuti online and by his legal name, Willis Gibson, plays for roughly 38 minutes and reaches level 157 before saying, "Oh, I missed it," believing that a misplaced block scuttled his attempt.

But he recovers, and as blocks zip downward, he says, "Please crash," and completes another line of blocks, the mechanism for scoring points in Tetris. The game freezes, the de facto victory, and he says: "Oh my God! Yes! I'm going to pass out. I can't feel my hands." His score read "999999".

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2024/jan/03/oklahoma-teen-beat-tetris-first-person-willis-gibson

Impressive stuff.

But not according to this smug, patronising Sky News reporter.

Quote51-year-old Sky News journalist Jayne Secker covered the Tetris story during a live broadcast on Thursday. At the end of the segment, Secker appeared to break from script, stating: "As a mother, I would just say step away from the screen, go outside, get some fresh air. Beating Tetris is not a life goal."

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/sky-news-presenter-criticised-for-telling-teenage-tetris-champ-to-go-outside/

Fambo Number Mive

I'm slightly baffled why this Sky News reporter feels obliged to give their opinion whilst doing a news report.

Also seems weird to assume that this 13 year old isn't getting regular fresh air.

Not the first time she's been criticised: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/tv/north-east-born-sky-news-16135146

Quote...The Sky News host got into hot water while interviewing housing campaigner Kirsty Archer who was speaking about her experience of being evicted at short notice for no reason.

But Secker was accused of being "patronising" and "insensitive" by viewers over her line of questioning drawing on her own experience as a landlord.

The host said: "...especially with younger renters, you very often find that they don't often know how to do a great deal in homes

"I, for example, have had tenants complaining that lights have popped because they don't know how to change a lightbulb.

"I've had tenants complaining about the heating and they just haven't turned the boiler on.

"It's just very obvious things - if you lived in a house that you owned no one would be able to fix these things for you, they're just things actually which often require a bit of common sense...

Fambo Number Mive

Famous Mortimer

There was something of a "race" with a more established Tetris player, who I imagine is fucking fuming right now that it's not their name being plastered all over the world's media.

Also, quick recommendation for the "Ecstasy of Order" documentary, featuring the sadly no longer with us Jonas Neubauer, whose records probably look like nothing compared to where it's gone in the last few years.

oustropique

'well done, he's 13' but unironically

Utter Shit

Billy Mitchell is gonna batter this kid if he sees him.

kalowski

Fucking Tetris. I played it so often on a Game Boy in holiday in Corfu I'd see blocks falling in my sleep.

dontpaintyourteeth

shoulders

Yes but... who was shakespeares paremt's

Burger Bar And Disco

Quote"As a mother, I would just say step away from the screen, go outside, get some fresh air. Beating Tetris is not a life goal."

Is she not aware that Gameboys are portable? You can take one of them, or indeed any more recent device like the Switch, out to the garden and play Tetris while sitting on the actual literal grass.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: kalowski on January 04, 2024, 02:32:51 PMFucking Tetris. I played it so often on a Game Boy in holiday in Corfu I'd see blocks falling in my sleep.

There's a name for this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_effect

I've seen people recommend playing Tetris directly after a traumatic event as there's studies that suggest it can diminish the effects of PTSD.

Personally I'm more of a Tetris: The Grand Master sort of person.  NES/Gameboy Tetris is 'ok' but any half decent playing gets restrained by the speed barrier.  TGM is programmed from the ground up to be played as fast as possible.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 04, 2024, 12:59:56 PMThere was something of a "race" with a more established Tetris player, who I imagine is fucking fuming right now that it's not their name being plastered all over the world's media.

Also, quick recommendation for the "Ecstasy of Order" documentary, featuring the sadly no longer with us Jonas Neubauer, whose records probably look like nothing compared to where it's gone in the last few years.

The guy he beat was delighted. There is a video of him stopping his own run to watch the 13 year old complete the feat and he's so happy for him.

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on January 05, 2024, 04:12:37 AMpeople recommend playing Tetris directly after a traumatic event as there's studies that suggest it can diminish the effects of PTSD.

Tastelessly chuckling at playing directly after the event.

Just saw an Astra flip over a drystone wall onto a school picnic. Luckily I've got the GBA-SP with Tetris DX so I'll do 40 rows until the ambulance gets here.

katzenjammer

There's a great video that explains why this is such a massive achievement

madhair60

it's not a massive achievement. he's defo gonna end up a serial killer. remindme! 4 years

Shaxberd

Quote from: Average Comedy Enjoyer on January 05, 2024, 09:40:09 AMTastelessly chuckling at playing directly after the event.

Just saw an Astra flip over a drystone wall onto a school picnic. Luckily I've got the GBA-SP with Tetris DX so I'll do 40 rows until the ambulance gets here.

You joke but I think that's exactly what it is, gives the brain something to focus on rather than developing PTSD.

Going to have to look up the research to find out how they worked this out, though, can't imagine someone just rocking up in a disaster relief camp with a bag full of Game Boys.

Edit: my imagination wasn't far off, the researchers got people who'd just been in motor vehicle accidents to play Tetris while waiting in A&E - https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2017-03-28-tetris-used-prevent-post-traumatic-stress-symptoms

Very well cited, lovely stuff.

When I was in my deepest Tetris phase I did find it filled the brain like expanding foam.
Something about the simplicity and live-action of Tetris blocks out everything else.

monkfromhavana

Can I once say, as probably my only computer-game related mini-triumphs, I was once playing Tetris in an arcade in Japan and got to about level 20...but I also actually drew a crowd of around 12 people* who were watching me and emitted sad noises when I died (in the game).

*Well, at least 6.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 05, 2024, 09:25:21 AMThe guy he beat was delighted. There is a video of him stopping his own run to watch the 13 year old complete the feat and he's so happy for him.
Good to know! Positive community, still (thanks Jonas Neubauer).

Dr Rock

Quote from: madhair60 on January 05, 2024, 12:28:48 PMit's not a massive achievement. he's defo gonna end up a serial killer. remindme! 4 years

But think how tidy the corpses will be

popcorn

This video explains the button technique. It features extensive footage of people mashing controllers like utter nutters. Highly recommended, funniest thing I've seen so far in 2024.

druss

I find Tetris pretty boring compared to 99% of other games but it must have something going for it to still be relevant after this long and to have sold so many copies (and I can still remember the tune so I must have played it a lot as a kid I suppose).

Magnum Valentino

idunnosomename

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 04, 2024, 12:32:41 PMI'm slightly baffled why this Sky News reporter feels obliged to give their opinion whilst doing a news report.

Also seems weird to assume that this 13 year old isn't getting regular fresh air.

Not the first time she's been criticised: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/tv/north-east-born-sky-news-16135146
so funny she's a landlord. She'd be cheering this boy on if he'd amassed a sizeable property portfolio and evicted tenants who couldnt change a lightblub.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Dr Rock on January 05, 2024, 04:21:49 PMBut think how tidy the corpses will be
come on, just need an arm and then all the human remains will vanish