Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,800
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:08:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Types of Twitter arsehole you don't like

Started by canadagoose, October 27, 2020, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

Quote from: Menu on December 01, 2020, 04:26:14 AM
A 'comedy' thing on Twitter I hate is when somebody places two usually incongruous words together in a sentence, and some slackjaw then isolates them and pretends it's a name of a band. For example, and taking a random sentence from this thread:

PDD: "The purportedly anti-Trump Resistance grifter account with half a million followers that clearly only exists as some kind of astroturfing campaign to piss off left-wing voters and stop them from voting."

Slackjaw: "I think I heard 'Astroturfing Campaign' on a 1978 Peel Session.

Shut UP! Fuck OFF! I was doing 'that should be the name of our band' jokes in 2002, and they weren't funny then. Can't believe people who get paid for writing are still doing them 18 years later. Richard Osman is still doing them. Even Danny Baker pulled one out of his bottom drawer the other day. Such hackwork.

I was going to scan your post for a phrase to hilariously say sounds like a band name (I think I heard Danny Baker's Bottom Drawer on a 1978 Peel Session!!!!) but then I remembered one of my own hated Twitter comedy things is when someone complains about something, and eighty blokes reply ironically doing the thing, to show they get it.

idunnosomename

I think I've got an EP by Eighty Blokes Reply Ironically somewhere

Menu

Quote from: BritishHobo on December 02, 2020, 10:16:03 PM
I was going to scan your post for a phrase to hilariously say sounds like a band name (I think I heard Danny Baker's Bottom Drawer on a 1978 Peel Session!!!!) but then I remembered one of my own hated Twitter comedy things is when someone complains about something, and eighty blokes reply ironically doing the thing, to show they get it.

It would have made me laugh though.

Menu

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 02, 2020, 10:21:19 PM
I think I've got an EP by Eighty Blokes Reply Ironically somewhere

<Richard Osman comes heavily>

Menu

That whole "chef's kiss" thing, whether as an image or text. It's so fucking lazy. Glinner loved it!

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Menu on December 03, 2020, 01:09:48 AM

<Richard Osman comes heavily>

Presumably we've already done stupid World Cups of mundane items. Or baldy footballers, where the joke wears 'thin' after you've seen them all in the first round.

petril

A 'comedy' thing on Twitter I hate is when somebody places two usually incongruous words together in a sentence, and some slackjaw then isolates them and pretends it's a name of a band. For example, and taking a random sentence from this thread:

PDD: "The purportedly anti-Trump Resistance grifter account with half a million followers that clearly only exists as some kind of astroturfing campaign to piss off left-wing voters and stop them from voting."

Shut UP! Fuck OFF! I was doing 'that should be the name of our band' jokes in 2002, and they weren't funny then. Can't believe people who get paid for writing are still doing them 18 years later. Richard Osman is still doing them. Even Danny Baker pulled one out of his bottom drawer the other day. Such hackwork.

you'd get more comedy value out of writing a bot to scrape twitter and gradually steer an AI towards generating good names for bands or albums or horses or suhin like 'at. and the paper descriving the process, natch

I've claimed Such Hackwork and added it to my big text file of those sorts of things, in case I ever need something like that in future

Menu

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on December 07, 2020, 09:58:29 AM
Presumably we've already done stupid World Cups of mundane items. Or baldy footballers, where the joke wears 'thin' after you've seen them all in the first round.

I think so!

Menu

Quote from: petrilTanaka on December 07, 2020, 11:49:24 AM
you'd get more comedy value out of writing a bot to scrape twitter and gradually steer an AI towards generating good names for bands or albums or horses or suhin like 'at. and the paper descriving the process, natch

I've claimed Such Hackwork and added it to my big text file of those sorts of things, in case I ever need something like that in future

Ha!

Paul Calf

frajer

OSSSSSMAAAAAAN. Richard, thy name is banality.

Idiot. Limited toast is obsolete now anyway.

Menu

canadagoose

Just bumping this to say how much I REALLY dislike #1[nb]1) The "picks a fight, then when someone argues back, play the victim and get your followers to harass them" type[/nb], and I blocked so many of them last night. How come so many people get taken in by them too? People are daft.

Also all Twitter historians seem to be snotty wankers that talk down to everyone.

Old Nehamkin

Definitely in contention for worst ever tweet.

canadagoose

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on January 24, 2021, 11:03:13 PM

Definitely in contention for worst ever tweet.
Oh man, that's disappointing from Osman. Unless it was a parody of somebody.

king_tubby

No, Osman is pretty much the ur-media centrist melt.

bgmnts

If a centrist party went full ethnic cleansing, Osman would be the lad on the poster to highlight the centrist madter race, surely to god?

non capisco

Christ, I'd forgotten all about that stinking Osman tweet. It's the "witty" part I find so emetic. It's how he sees himself and he just wants the world to all be versions of him. "Woh woh woh let's not have any attempts at any movement towards economic democracy and helping the disadvantaged, all I ask of our political leaders are that they are handy with a smug quip, like MEEEEEEEE."

Yeah. How's Starmer working out for you, Rich? He seems hilarious. Get him on House Of Games, mate, he'll tear the roof off.

pcsjwgm

Where was Osman during CUK-TIG? They turned out well.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: non capisco on January 24, 2021, 11:29:31 PM
Christ, I'd forgotten all about that stinking Osman tweet. It's the "witty" part I find so emetic. It's how he sees himself and he just wants the world to all be versions of him. "Woh woh woh let's not have any attempts at any movement towards economic democracy and helping the disadvantaged, all I ask of our political leaders are that they are handy with a smug quip, like MEEEEEEEE."

Yeah. How's Starmer working out for you, Rich? He seems hilarious. Get him on House Of Games, mate, he'll tear the roof off.
Fuck off Martin Luther King till you get some bantz.

petril

Osman with the free period, common room, sunny Thursday afternoon in June chat there.

and we're the assistant head who's just popped in to remind everyone to leave by 3 so the cleaners can get in early

Brundle-Fly

Naa, it's a time-honoured tradition.

Three more from them later

petril

Them Later's tracks will all be played at the wrong speed for thirty seconds, before Peel returns from an aborted slash to correct it

BlodwynPig

Quote from: petrilTanaka on January 26, 2021, 12:03:43 PM
Them Later's tracks will all be played at the wrong speed for thirty seconds, before Peel returns from an aborted slash to correct it

Always thought Three More From Them Later were just another US indie punk band from the mid-2000s.

Cuellar

Quote from: canadagoose on January 24, 2021, 11:06:47 PM
Oh man, that's disappointing from Osman. Unless it was a parody of somebody.

Disappointing?! This is pure Osman. This is essence of Osman. This is he. I hate the cunt.

frajer

Quote from: Cuellar on January 26, 2021, 12:20:06 PM
Disappointing?! This is pure Osman. This is essence of Osman. This is he. I hate the cunt.

Yeah I can't stand the smug bastard either. Aims for the middle then tells everyone it's actually the top. I'd love to run a rope around his colossal legs and bring him down like an AT-AT.

madhair60

Quote from: frajer on January 26, 2021, 05:00:41 PMI'd love to run a rope around his colossal legs and bring him down like an AT-AT.

Cackled

phantom_power

Quote from: frajer on January 26, 2021, 05:00:41 PM
Yeah I can't stand the smug bastard either. Aims for the middle then tells everyone it's actually the top. I'd love to run a rope around his colossal legs and bring him down like an AT-AT.

Seems to work though. I am reading his book at the moment and it is so incredibly average and yet is getting rave reviews