Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:30:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Extraordinary - Disney + series

Started by Virgo76, February 05, 2023, 08:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgo76

Nothing on here about this?
Great, funny new series. An odd fit for Disney + and slightly reminiscent of Misfits. But definitely worth watching.
Mairead Tyers plays Jen who lives in a world where everyone has a different superpower which is traditionally revealed to them on or around the time of their 18th birthday. Everyone, it seems, except Jen who still seems to be powerless despite the fact she's well into her twenties.
Some people have fairly predictable powers - they can fly, turn invisible or are super strong.
Others are less so - somebody can give people orgasms simply by touching them, someone else can generate mood-appropriate soundtracks for anyone around them, someone else can laser print with their arse.
Great fun. Highly recommended.

PlanktonSideburns

Ron Superior

Oh blimey, I kept seeing the banners for it on Disney+ and assumed from the look of all the artwork for it that it was some ITV2 Comedy that I hadn't heard of. Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

neveragain

It's really quite fun and well produced. A bit too reliant on sexual jokes perhaps. Some great voice cameos involving a character who can speak with the dead.

Oosp

Alberon

Not watched this yet, but I think it's got a second series already.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on February 05, 2023, 09:42:37 AMBe funnyer if it was was dot matrix
Not if you consider the size of the mechanism in a laser printer which is massive compared to a dot matrix print head. Obvs would be even funnier if they had Johann Gutenberg up their arse casting metal type, but maybe that's silly.

Anyway, show sounds interesting. Ta.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 05, 2023, 08:31:18 PMNot if you consider the size of the mechanism in a laser printer which is massive compared to a dot matrix print head. Obvs would be even funnier if they had Johann Gutenberg up their arse casting metal type, but maybe that's silly.

Anyway, show sounds interesting. Ta.

Yea but the sound of the dot matrix makes it funny

Butchers Blind

Watched a couple so far. Even though they are only 30 minutes an episode, they feel overly long.

Virgo76

Quote from: neveragain on February 05, 2023, 03:14:06 PMIt's really quite fun and well produced. A bit too reliant on sexual jokes perhaps. Some great voice cameos involving a character who can speak with the dead.
There are a lot of sexual jokes early on (as I say, a slightly odd choice for Disney+). It settles down a bit later.
Siobhán McSweeney also great (as ever) as her mum, whose own superpower enables her to manipulate technology even though as a fairly typical middle-aged person, she doesn't really understand how it works.
Luke Rollason (the cat) another talent to watch here along with writer, Emma Moran. Lead actress Máiréad Tyers also good.

no_offenc

Ardal O'Hanlon appears in voice form here too. Binged through the whole thing across a few days, enjoyed it a good fair bit.

mjwilson

Quote from: Virgo76 on February 06, 2023, 07:00:42 AMThere are a lot of sexual jokes early on (as I say, a slightly odd choice for Disney+). It settles down a bit later.

There's plenty of non-family-friendly stuff on Disney+ (Pammy and Tommy, for example, is quite a bit stronger than Extraordinary). It's only the US where they hive it off onto Hulu.

Virgo76

Quote from: mjwilson on February 06, 2023, 10:21:25 PMThere's plenty of non-family-friendly stuff on Disney+ (Pammy and Tommy, for example, is quite a bit stronger than Extraordinary). It's only the US where they hive it off onto Hulu.

True. I guess the Aliens films have their moments too.

BlodwynPig

Superpowers are a pretty ubiquitous staple of entertainment these days. A existential desire to escape the drudgery and fear of modern society?

poloniusmonk

Quote from: Virgo76 on February 06, 2023, 07:00:42 AM...her mum, whose own superpower enables her to manipulate technology even though as a fairly typical middle-aged person, she doesn't really understand how it works.

This came across as incredibly lazy writing - surely 'a typical middle-aged person doesn't understand technology' is two or three decades out of date. You'd have to be an elderly person now for that to be even vaguely right...

Virgo76

Quote from: poloniusmonk on February 07, 2023, 10:04:35 AMThis came across as incredibly lazy writing - surely 'a typical middle-aged person doesn't understand technology' is two or three decades out of date. You'd have to be an elderly person now for that to be even vaguely right...
Are all middle-aged people bad with technology? No.
Are some middle-aged people bad with technology? Yes.

Virgo76

Quote from: poloniusmonk on February 07, 2023, 08:42:22 PMDoes that make them typical? Nah.
I said, "fairly typical." And yes.
Bearing in mind the show already features a character who can use their own arse as a laser printer, it's surprising that you think that the idea that some forty or fifty somethings struggle to programme their own TV is the least plausible thing here.

poloniusmonk

Not the least plausible, just the least funny bit.

mjwilson

Quote from: Virgo76 on February 08, 2023, 06:24:21 AMBearing in mind the show already features a character who can use their own arse as a laser printer

It's a 3D printer.

Alberon

Technically all arses are 3D printers. They're just very limited on what they can print.

Virgo76

Quote from: mjwilson on February 08, 2023, 09:38:44 PMIt's a 3D printer.

See?
I'm middle-aged and bad with technology!
There's the proof...

Blue Jam

Marvel does Fleabag. Quite enjoyable though. Might stick with it.

Blue Jam

On episode 2 now. Had valium before, and not only could a dentalist not just say "Hey, have some valium!" and chuck you some without a prescription, you'd need a pretty big dose to get that out of it.

This is kind of like Starstruck as well. Similar feel. Dtill enjoying it for that reason.

dead-ced-dead

Enjoyed the first episode quite a bit, might stick with it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

So this is actually funny then? The trailers did their best to hide that fact.

holyzombiejesus

I've watched the first 4 episodes. 20% laughs, 40% smiles, 30% straight face, 5% sighs, 5% wondering how much of the budget was used for licensing songs. Was nice to hear True Love Will Find You In The End even if it wasn't the original.

Virgo76

Bently Sheds

Enjoyed this, felt the soundtrack was trying way too hard - yes, we know Wet Leg are cool and therefore by you plastering their song all over the episodes, this show is also Wet Leg cool.

I particularly liked the idea that
Spoiler alert
Kash & Carrie's relationship could be built on Kash just secretly turning back time repeatedly in order to fix his mistakes and keep Carrie sweet.
[close]

Also the Jen starting off as a sympathetic character and then
Spoiler alert
being revealed to be historically a terrible friend was pretty cool
[close]

Virgo76

Surprised this isn't more famous really. It should be.
The lead actress is on Rob Brydon's podcast this week.
Both she and Extraordinary are great.
Second series on soon...