Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:30:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Suzanne Moore quits The Guardian [split topic]

Started by Sebastian Cobb, November 16, 2020, 07:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on November 26, 2020, 06:04:23 PM
Here's the text of that article for people being harassed to subscribe:
Wilby's main rhetorical technique seems to be listing all the things he doesn't know anything about, from trans rights to what a "west coast climate reporter" is. Doesn't the New Statesman report on trivial matters such as climate change? Hasn't he heard of the vast, deadly, economically devastating fires sweeping California? I admit it's not good that I know what an "agile scrum master" is, but if you google it you'll find it's like a project manager but more servile. I'm sure even the New Statesman has project managers, web developers, and advertising relationship managers.

But yeah, this is exactly the same as all TERFs "Waaah I'm stupid and therefore you're wrong!"

pancreas

Quote from: Twit 2 on November 26, 2020, 11:40:49 PM
What a horrid, absurd species we are. Humanity: bringing you Suzanne Moore, transphobia and the Daily Mail. Cheers!

Saw a robin fucking about on my fence earlier, hopping this way and that. No matter what WORM NONSENSE fills its silly little cunt brain, at least it doesn't hate the trans. Give the world to the robins and their sort, I say.

ok buelligan

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 26, 2020, 11:52:42 PM
Wilby's main rhetorical technique seems to be listing all the things he doesn't know anything about, from trans rights to what a "west coast climate reporter" is. Doesn't the New Statesman report on trivial matters such as climate change? Hasn't he heard of the vast, deadly, economically devastating fires sweeping California? I admit it's not good that I know what an "agile scrum master" is, but if you google it you'll find it's like a project manager but more servile. I'm sure even the New Statesman has project managers, web developers, and advertising relationship managers.

But yeah, this is exactly the same as all TERFs "Waaah I'm stupid and therefore you're wrong!"

I'd be lying if I didn't feel a sense of envy when he announced he was blissfully unaware of what an 'agile scrum master' was, much less encountered one.

Pink Gregory

Rugby Correspondent.  Not that fucking hard is it.  Once again the first thought is the best, like they think they're fucking beat writers and not achingly middle-class milquetoasts.

Sebastian Cobb

How can people in Australia, US and UK all agree what they said was racist?

these publications also bought you the headlines "Australia, US and UK all agree the dress is blue and black", probably.

Suzanne now has a Glinner-hole (as advertised by the man himself on his blog yesterday)!

https://suzannemoore.substack.com/p/pull-up-a-chair

Mister Six

Quote from: canadagoose on November 26, 2020, 06:30:31 PM
Lol at these posh sod columnists blaming America for "the trans debate". As if tervery wasn't 100% Great British Bullshit nowadays.

Well if it wasn't for these bloody Americans insisting on treating human beings like people, we'd all be able to sit back and agree that the transes are a bunch of simultaneously pathetic and terrifying freaks out to turn all our beloved hard-won toilets into glitter-strewn rape-o-ramas.

Mister Six

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 26, 2020, 10:59:34 PM
Until it was mentioned in that email I didn't even know The Guardian really had actual outposts. I knew it had staff worldwide (obviously), and offices in America, but still thought it was more-or-less a British paper.

Same as the Mail, The Sun, etc. One office in New York, one in Sydney, one in London, and then each team hands over to the next at the end of each shift to keep the news rolling overnight.

I work for a much smaller media outlet that has one office in New York and one in Asia. Same deal.

(I'm not an agile scrum master.)

Sebastian Cobb

I worked for a telly station with it's own in-house news and I think our news staff weren't 24 hour, with people clocking off in the small AM unless something was kicking off.

I think a lot of news from other sources got recycled in the morning. But I dunno, I was a web developer so not allowed an opinion apparently.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Small Potatoes on November 27, 2020, 02:22:20 PM
Suzanne now has a Glinner-hole (as advertised by the man himself on his blog yesterday)!

https://suzannemoore.substack.com/p/pull-up-a-chair
lmao its like onlyfans for washed up cunts

Johnny Yesno

Oh, this is the letter that 'forced' Moore out:

She's seen Looza's grift and wants a bit of that, doesn't she?

Linehan seems to be trying to convince us (or, more likely, himself) that it's a licence to print money. And he's still very pleased with himself with his mirthful "woke Stasi" catchphrase, managing to drop it twice in the space of two sentences.

QuoteSuzanne Moore has a substack! Haha, she'll still have an income when all her crappy, woke-Stasi colleagues are out on the street.

By the way, Woke Stasi, you must know by now that you're the bad guys, right?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

How many people do the Guardian employ globally, out of interest? Also, did any of her fellow luvvie columnists have the balls to sign it?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Small Potatoes on November 27, 2020, 06:06:42 PM
Linehan seems to be trying to convince us (or, more likely, himself) that it's a licence to print money. And he's still very pleased with himself with his mirthful "woke Stasi" catchphrase, managing to drop it twice in the space of two sentences.

QuoteSuzanne Moore has a substack! Haha, she'll still have an income when all her crappy, PC Brigade colleagues are out on the street.

By the way, PC Brigade, you must know by now that you're the bad guys, right?

When 90s figures turn Tory

Sebastian Cobb

Working in print media, I'll bet her colleagues use macs.

jobotic

QuoteBy the way, Woke Stasi, you must know by now that you're the bad guys, right?

Now that's motherfucking projection!

It's also what Paulie used to say.

Sebastian Cobb

It's rare to see 'woke stasi' being used unironically in the wild tbf.

Annie Labuntur

Has anyone done a Suzanne Moore's "fuck-me views" joke yet? Sorry if I missed it.

idunnosomename

theres just the right amount of rubbishiness to the IDS song efforts. v good

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on November 26, 2020, 06:04:23 PM
Here's the text of that article for people being harassed to subscribe:

Sorry, but the idea that the trans wars are imported from America is insane. The trans culture war is entirely a British creation. They're looking at us aghast that we have a Very Serious Media Culture where Very Serious People appear to genuinely believe that trans people are faking it for entry to public toilets. The import here is their normal values clashing with our insane ones.

Thursday

Yeah I've seen a lot of US commentators asking "What's up with so many British people being TERFS?"

idunnosomename

The bathroom thing started in America c.2015. But that wasn't feminism, it was blatant anti-LBGT bigotry. And it is that acronym because its rooted in conservatism. The feminist thing is British because our columnists are trapped in their own opinions, including trad rad feminism that doesn't incorporate intersectionalism

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Thursday on November 27, 2020, 06:57:45 PM
Yeah I've seen a lot of US commentators asking "What's up with so many British people being TERFS?"

You know we've got a particular problem when Trump initially saw no obvious issue with transpeople and toilets (albeit while seemingly surprised by the question, I believe his advisors may have 'corrected' him since) and Brits are still mired in this.

QuoteThe feminist thing is British because our columnists are trapped in their own opinions, including trad rad feminism that doesn't incorporate intersectionalism

This is important to point out, although it spreads wider than columnists' poison pens, to a poorer wider understanding of the issues by major public figures who previously would have never been asked, would never have volunteered and wouldn't have had such instant opportunities to display what utter prats they are.

This time to be alive is also unusual because a lot of people who would otherwise have drifted out of relevance have maintained their profile while getting older, due to the increasingly nepotistic way mainstream media works and the opportunities afforded by new media. Nepotism is a particular issue in Britain in comparison to the US. We have a glut of people whose cultural opinions aren't worth a dime but whose status makes them impossible to get rid of in this new tech age.

Zetetic

I wonder if there is something about here as well about feminism (particularly anything resembling "radical feminism") now largely facing a battle with liberalism as much as anything else (in start contrast to Poland or much of the US, for example), and that involves a very painful struggle with principles and people's self-images and desires in a context built to rip apart anything that doesn't speak only to individualism.

Much more comforting, for everyone, to have a fight about trans rights and bit more abstracted issue of how to apply "woman". Not least because for most of the people in the fight, it's not actually practically that important to them either way.

Urinal Cake

It could be that it's US individualism vs UK collectivism. In the US Transgender issues are seen as an individual's choice and it's up to society to accept it or get out of the way. Otherwise you have to join the (moneyed) religious right. In the UK there's been an emphasis on bathrooms, transitioning 'too early' and 'minimising naturally born women' or something. There's no huge religious right in the UK so you have to poke holes in science and try and fight transgender issues  from the view it's bad for society.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Zetetic on November 27, 2020, 08:42:06 PM
I wonder if there is something about here as well about feminism (particularly anything resembling "radical feminism") now largely facing a battle with liberalism as much as anything else (in start contrast to Poland or much of the US, for example), and that involves a very painful struggle with principles and people's self-images and desires in a context built to rip apart anything that doesn't speak only to individualism.

Much more comforting, for everyone, to have a fight about trans rights and bit more abstracted issue of how to apply "woman". Not least because for most of the people in the fight, it's not actually practically that important to them either way.

Not to mention that a lot of the prominent figures from first wave feminism who began from working class (or alternatively from arch-conservative patriarchal backgrounds) have become wealthy, independent and - in most ways liberal - haute bourgeoisie, without gaining full self-awareness that this makes them at least among the most privileged members of any society, whilst simultaneously, their grasp of social trends and attitudes dims, just as is does with every middle aged person, accelerated in some classes and circles.

It's an interesting situation to have a group so interested in class and gender falling into (what seem to me) such obvious traps foreseeable from a younger age, but this must be due to the dynamics of their jobs and status and the reinforcement of social media telling them they're right and everyone else is wrong, and anyway, money -> this way

idunnosomename

do you mean second-wave? first wave is early 20th century suffragettes and all that

second-wave rad fem had its place in the 60s/70s when women were just getting their bums slapped and making the tea. and while sexism and gender inequality has not been solved, it is a different situation and requires a different approach. as said in the glinner thread "sisters are doing it for themselves: and killing it" is just fucking cringeworthy but that's the level of idiots like Moore operate on

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 27, 2020, 09:14:53 PM
do you mean second-wave? first wave is early 20th century suffragettes and all that

second-wave rad fem had its place in the 60s/70s when women were just getting their bums slapped and making the tea. and while sexism and gender inequality has not been solved, it is a different situation and requires a different approach. as said in the glinner thread "sisters are doing it for themselves: and killing it" is just fucking cringeworthy but that's the level of idiots like Moore operate on

That's it, cheers

pigamus

Would it be fair to say that a lot of these feminists have been saying their whole lives that they're not defined by their ability to have children, but now trans women have come along[nb]well they were always there but you know what i mean[/nb] they're having to do a sort of complete 180 and say, actually, our childbearing capacity is bloody important thank you very much?