Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:26:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shogun (2024)

Started by Butchers Blind, February 20, 2024, 08:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butchers Blind

Starts this week on Disney+ if you've got it.
Reviews have been very positive so far so looking forward to some fuedal japanese action.

MojoJojo

Is this based on the James Clavell book?

sevendaughters

"On the bus I was absorbed in the James Clavell novel Shogun" ~ Bret Hart

jobotic

Looking forward to a bit of 16th Century Gillingham on the screen. Gills!

George White

Quote from: MojoJojo on February 26, 2024, 02:16:38 PMIs this based on the James Clavell book?
Yep, shot in Vancouver, rather than Japan, and featuring rather less familiar British character actors than the original.

ProvanFan

Edit: you'll never guess which thread I meant to post that in

Chollis

really hope this isn't shit

Dex Sawash

1980 miniseries was a big deal when I was a kid. At school we were all Hai-ing to everything and carving out our guts with rulers. No fucking idea what it was about though.

Watched first episode of this and it seems quite good so far. Comic relief Rodriquez comes in at just the right point.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: MojoJojo on February 26, 2024, 02:16:38 PMIs this based on the James Clavell book?

Hai, and the author himself is based on Miss Clavel off the Madeline books

Dex Sawash

Top shelf swearing in this

Dex Sawash

Going to be uncharacteristically unambiguous and say this is very good. Unless someone says no it's shit then I will change my mind.

Dex Sawash

Dex Sawash

I sometimes struggle with keeping all the cunts straight. Rewatched e1 this am and enjoyed and understood it more.

I do often wonder if stuff mostly in forn and subtitled gets artificially improved by reading it.

dead-ced-dead

Cosmo Jarvis, the lead British character, reminds me so much of Tom Hardy it's a bit distracting.

No issue with his acting. He's good and the other things I've seen him in (Lady Macbeth, Calm With Horses) he's very good in, but his face, voice and build are very close to Hardy's.

Hobo

I get Egg from this life vibes

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Hobo on March 02, 2024, 06:36:28 PMI get Egg from this life vibes

I used to date an actress and her agent used to send her out on auditions as "She's like (this actress) meets (this actress)!" Which, as I understand is par for the course for actors who haven't yet broken out.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jarvis' agent sent him out as "Like Tom Hardy meets Andrew Lincoln!"

Dex Sawash

I thought it was Tom Hardy

Dex Sawash

Maybe need to rewatch E3 as I'm not sure what really was going on at any poInt. Decided to skip going to see DUNC and watch this and basketball due to be fatigued.

13 schoolyards

Is it ok to skip this and go straight to Shogun Assassin?

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on March 02, 2024, 06:29:29 PMCosmo Jarvis, the lead British character, reminds me so much of Tom Hardy it's a bit distracting.

No issue with his acting. He's good and the other things I've seen him in (Lady Macbeth, Calm With Horses) he's very good in, but his face, voice and build are very close to Hardy's.

isn't he still the main clown at blackpool tower? big break for him

Joe Oakes

Main thought about episode 3:

Spoiler alert
How did Japanese people jump into water before an Englishman had to teach them how to do it? Were they bellyflopping or doing some weird open-mouthed faceplant?
[close]

Dex Sawash

I'm wondering if my inability to retain who is who is  because I am focused on the subtitles or because I am racist. May do a second watch of the dubs. Just baffled by who is on what side or if it is all just chaos. Obvs,  I know catholics and english are bad.

Fishfinger

Quote from: Joe Oakes on March 06, 2024, 10:39:35 PMMain thought about episode 3:

Spoiler alert
How did Japanese people jump into water before an Englishman had to teach them how to do it? Were they bellyflopping or doing some weird open-mouthed faceplant?
[close]

I think he was re-establishing status, but also perhaps enjoying himself.

Spoiler alert
Said Englishman had saved his life and more besides. He was making him follow his increasingly absurd orders, and exhausting him to win the swim challenge. There's also the bit about "I warn you not to let him win. He hates that." The lord may actually have been doing him a favour.
[close]

chutnut

Always up for watching something with your man from Ring in, but after the first episode I probably won't bother watching any more. It was ok, quite liked the Spanish guy but other than that just wasn't doing anything for me

George White

Quote from: chutnut on March 09, 2024, 05:05:12 PMAlways up for watching something with your man from Ring in, but after the first episode I probably won't bother watching any more. It was ok, quite liked the Spanish guy but other than that just wasn't doing anything for me
Ever checked out Sanada's Eighventies action hero career? Was basically the George Cole to Sonny Chiba's Alastair Sim. Roaring Fire and Message from Space are top fun.

Butchers Blind

'PEERING INTO LADIES PRIVATE QUARTERS! IT'S NOT PROPER!""

elliszeroed

Is the novel any good?

I remembering reading King Rat a decade or so ago, and thinking "that was alright, but not as good as the Finnish wanne-be neo-nazi at the local claimed it was".

AliasTheCat

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on March 02, 2024, 06:29:29 PMCosmo Jarvis, the lead British character, reminds me so much of Tom Hardy it's a bit distracting.

See also Logan Marshall-Green, or as I call him, Tom Hardly.

Dex Sawash

After the seating disaster at the Dune imax, quite a satisfying episode as a substitute.

chutnut

Quote from: George White on March 10, 2024, 07:39:12 AMEver checked out Sanada's Eighventies action hero career? Was basically the George Cole to Sonny Chiba's Alastair Sim. Roaring Fire and Message from Space are top fun.

Nah I haven't actually, I'll check those out nice one