Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:48:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The woke brigade mucking about with Roald Dahl

Started by Twit 2, February 18, 2023, 11:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samadriel

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on February 19, 2023, 09:24:17 AMHis work'll be dead or gone at some point. How many children's classics from even two hundred years back are still knocking about today?

Grimm's tales.

Hank_Kingsley

Quote from: bgmnts on February 20, 2023, 09:35:58 PMAh fuck stuff like that makes me want this.

Fucksaaaaake nooooo.

Imagine the one lesson you learnt from a children's author is to judge a book by its cover. How did that sperm get through? Fucksake.

That Cassandra nutter was one of the organisers of the whole 'dancing man' thing, where a large man was anonymously fat-shamed for enjoying a dance and then a load of women patronised him by putting on a poorly attended celebrity pity party.

Then she went full MAGA and now, well, I don't know what this new thing is. Victorian race scientist?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 20, 2023, 08:29:41 PMI'd hazard a guess that "To Kill A Mockingbird" isn't part of that many school curricula these days, so they (kid and teacher) probably won't have to deal with it at all. Perhaps there are other books that deal with racism, published in the last 60 years, that schools are using.

I don't know if it's as simple as "we need a book about racism", but also one that was culturally (and arguably politically) significant whilst being accessible to a young reader. To Kill A Mockingbird - and Huckleberry Finn - have done a lot of heavy lifting in that regard, so it's a shame to see them replaced by 80s knockoffs (at least at my stepson's school).

Video Game Fan 2000

I was in high school in the late 90s, I remember Mockingbird was replaced by Caged Bird Sings - probably an effective choice since the latter focuses on formative experiences and doesn't lend itself to being given over to simple rhetoric about difference, justice, equality, etc (especially in a religious school where "we're all gods children" was the one-line resolution of every race issue)

we did Mockingbird seperately in A Level history as a part a little divergence into into effects of civil rights on pop culture. but this was probably just because the history teachers were cool

Quote from: samadriel on February 21, 2023, 09:32:03 AMGrimm's tales.

Contained rape, mutilation and more, before 200 years of being revised, censored and Disneyfied to suit shifting tastes.

Future generations won't believe their ears when they find out about the fatism in the original Dahl tomes.

Senior Baiano

I don't care about anyone's opinion of all this, but is there an authoritative list anywhere of all the redactions/alterations identified, and when they date from?

JesusAndYourBush

When I was about 3 I had a book called "Ten Little Friends".  A very simple story, along the lines of "Ten little friends were (something something something), (something happened to one of them) and then there were 9".  Repeat until "then there were none."

When I was older I was made aware that the original book had probably been called something else, as per an Agatha Christie story with the same name also changing it's name.

willbo

are we even allowed to call him Willie Wonka anymore or is it "Non Gendered Appendage Wonka" now?

RetroRobot

Quote from: willbo on February 22, 2023, 06:12:51 PMare we even allowed to call him Willie Wonka anymore or is it "Non Gendered Appendage Wonka" now?

Jesus christ this is the least funny thing I've seen since I spawned on this god forsaken earth

Quote from: RetroRobot on February 22, 2023, 07:57:14 PMJesus christ this is the least funny thing I've seen since I spawned on this god forsaken earth

It's so dire that's it's almost as egregious as most of my stuff.

RetroRobot

bgmnts

Quote from: RetroRobot on February 22, 2023, 07:57:14 PMJesus christ this is the least funny thing I've seen since I spawned on this god forsaken earth

I think this was satirical to be fair.

Video Game Fan 2000

they have to call it Charlie and the Great Glass Menstruator now
they have to call it James and the Plus Sized Peach now
they have to call it Danny the Equal of Everyone in the World now
they have to call them the Womanytchs now

Mister Six

madhair60

Video Game Fan 2000

willbo

next they'll be forcing him to make the Oompa Lumpas African pygmys instead of the magical orange pixies we know!

Senior Baiano

Musing on the possibility of starting a fake-woke shit stirring campaign to get the Oompa Loompas reinstated as Black Africans. Changing them from the original conception is global south erasure, elides neocolonial patterns of primitive accumulation, that sort of thing. Just for jolly

madhair60

every child gets a golden ticket so nobody feels left out, is that a thing?

Golden tickets are issued on an ongoing basis to launder the unfound gold from the Brinks Mat robbery.

willbo

Quote from: Senior Baiano on February 23, 2023, 01:09:31 PMMusing on the possibility of starting a fake-woke shit stirring campaign to get the Oompa Loompas reinstated as Black Africans. Changing them from the original conception is global south erasure, elides neocolonial patterns of primitive accumulation, that sort of thing. Just for jolly

and the gollies in Noddy

Swift

Quote from: Swift on February 24, 2023, 05:19:17 PMPuffin cashing in - https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/feb/24/roald-dahl-publisher-announces-unaltered-16-book-classics-collection

They'll now sell an unaltered collection of the books alongside the edited versions.

They should cash in even further and put our a press release declaring that whichever version sells the most over the next calendar year will become the definitive version and all other editions will be pulped.

I've just seen Ricky Gervais is wading in in opposition to the proposed edits.

Catalogue Trousers

'We all loves fatties
We all loves fatties
We all loves fatties
Mongs an' that.'

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on February 25, 2023, 10:30:48 AMI've just seen Ricky Gervais is wading in in opposition to the proposed edits.

bit late isn't he

lazy cunt

Kankurette

What a surprise, it was all a big publicity stunt.