Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:20:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Let's All Discuss Joseph Heller

Started by markburgle, August 30, 2023, 11:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markburgle

I read Catch 22 and it's one of my favs of all time. I read Good As Gold and - after I'd gotten used to the fact that it wasn't Catch 22 and forgiven it - really enjoyed it. Even though the characters aren't as loveable nor the situation as compelling, it's still very funny, and it's great that there's another book-length dose of that patented Heller absurdism to enjoy - and Washington is a deserving target (I didn't really get the Henry Kissinger stuff though).

After that my knowledge falters, and I'd be interested to hear from people who've explored further. I know Something Happened is considered his other masterpiece, if very different in tone. Any others worth bothering with? Apparently there's one set in biblical times (which Martin Amis reckoned started great then went to shit halfway through, not that I regard him as an authority or anything).

Mister Six

I've only read Catch-22, which was a fave of mine although I haven't read it for 20 years now. I got a little way into the sequel, Closing Time, when it came out in paperback but it was a bit too bleak for young Master Six. I'll give both another crack next year, I think.

Not very useful for your thread, I know, sorry.

dontpaintyourteeth

Something Happened is incredibly well-written but I don't think I ever want to read it again: it's quite overwhelming living in that character's head for almost 600 pages.

Somehow I've never read Catch-22 but completely coincidentally I just got myself a copy the other day

Oh, Nobody

>deep breath<

Catch-22 is obviously great, there's a 'deleted scenes' type companion book called Catch As Catch Can with some good bits too.

Something Happened is an absolute belter, but bleak is an understatement. I gave a copy to a tutor in college and they never spoke to me again.

I love Good as Gold, remember nothing of the plot AT ALL but very funny, well written characters as you'd expect. "Boggles the mind" being a running gag has stayed with me for some reason.

I owned God Knows for about ten years and never read it. Assumed I wouldn't get the references.

I have never even seen a copy of Picture This.

Enjoyed bits of Closing Time but the stuff with the angels fell flat for me. Also I know Heller riffs on old vaudeville routines in every book but it seemed a bit too much in this. (probably didn't help that I'd just read a Groucho Marx book before it in which he talks about Gallagher & Shean, who are heavily referenced in Closing Time) Maybe I just knew more of the references than before.

Portrait Of The Artist As An Old Man, shite.

Always been curious about We Bombed In New Haven, I imagine the meta stuff would seem quaint in this day and age.

JaDanketies

My dad really loved Catch 22, it was his favourite book of all time, so I read it. I did read every page so it must've been alright. This would've been eight years ago.

Don't really have much more to add

Oh, Nobody

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 05, 2023, 01:05:15 PMI did read every page so it must've been alright.

Slap that on the front cover.

Incy Wincy Mincey

Quote from: Oh, Nobody on September 05, 2023, 01:02:59 PMI owned God Knows for about ten years and never read it. Assumed I wouldn't get the references.

I loved God Knows when I read it 15 or so years ago, but that was at the point I'd just stopped being a Theology student and God-botherer. Not sure it'd have the same impact now, should probably revisit it.

Toki

I loved Good as Gold too. Universal family dynamics, imo, although my family are mainly from Manchester so take with a pinch of salt. I haven't actually read any other Heller yet. Got a long train journey coming up on Friday, will give Catch 22 a go.

Pranet

Catch 22 is boringly enough one of my favourite ever books.

I read Something Happens as a teenager. Certainly at that point in my life I'd never read anything like that before. It might be interesting to find out what I make of it now that I am old, but yeah I'm not sure I am robust enough to take it.

markburgle

Quote from: Oh, Nobody on September 05, 2023, 01:02:59 PM>deep breath<

Catch-22 is obviously great, there's a 'deleted scenes' type companion book called Catch As Catch Can with some good bits too...

Yes I did read that, there's a deleted chapter in it plus an accompanying anecdote about Heller only realising some time after publication that it had been excised. The thought of a whole chapter just getting cut from something so intricate seems a bit criminal on it's face, but I remember almost nothing about it, so maybe it was the right call.

There's also a biography written by his daughter which I'd be interested to read, and I reckon I'll also give God Knows a go.

Quote from: Oh, Nobody on September 05, 2023, 01:02:59 PMEnjoyed bits of Closing Time but the stuff with the angels fell flat for me. Also I know Heller riffs on old vaudeville routines in every book but it seemed a bit too much in this.

Is it the sort of shit sequel that spoils the original in any way? If not maybe I'll give that a go too

Oh, Nobody

Quote from: markburgle on September 05, 2023, 09:42:40 PMIs it the sort of shit sequel that spoils the original in any way? If not maybe I'll give that a go too

From what I remember I don't think so? Like I don't think they even specify what happens with Yossarian after Catch-22 ends, I think it's more of a "it's x years later, here's what's happening now" kind of deal.

I don't think there's any retconning of Catch-22 but it has been a good 20 years* since I read it.

*Well, not a GOOD 20 years.

Mortimer

Quote from: Oh, Nobody on September 06, 2023, 08:58:24 PMFrom what I remember I don't think so? Like I don't think they even specify what happens with Yossarian after Catch-22 ends, I think it's more of a "it's x years later, here's what's happening now" kind of deal.

I don't think there's any retconning of Catch-22 but it has been a good 20 years* since I read it.

*Well, not a GOOD 20 years.
Closing Time doesn't spoil the original but it isn't in the same league. Underwhelming, a bit like Going Straight that followed Porridge.

MoreauVasz

I read Closing Time and it isn't in the same league really but it has a few moments. There's a bit where Yossarian is wandering through a bus station and people are offering him drugs and sex and there's this wonderfully exasperated inner dialogue where he thinks 'I'm an old man... I should be able to walk the streets without someone offering to blow me!'

Virgo76

The famous quote from Heller goes something like this:
Q: Mr Heller, would you agree that you've never written anything as good as Catch 22?
Heller: Neither has anyone else.