Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:12:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Alan Moore: ‘I’m giving all my screen royalties to Black Lives Matter'.

Started by Glebe, September 14, 2023, 10:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

madhair60

Glebe

bgmnts

Quote from: madhair60 on September 20, 2023, 11:49:33 PMthis is the kind of analysis that keeps me coming back to CaB

What did you think of the ending to From Hell?

madhair60

haha, I have never finished it. started a few times but not finished. maybe after One Piece.

Midas

Tangentially related:

Saw that writer Bill Willingham has released a statement claiming he has put his Fables comic series into the public domain after a dispute with the "thugs and conmen" running DC Comics:

https://billwillingham.substack.com/p/willingham-sends-fables-into-the

He has also made comparisons to Alan Moore's situation in the 1980s:

https://billwillingham.substack.com/p/more-about-fables-in-the-public-domain

I think DC Comics has since issued a counter-statement threatening legal action and claiming they reserve all rights to the property (despite it being one of those so-called "creator-owned" things)

What a lark!

Midas

I don't like some of what I've read about this Ham Willingbill cunt, but I do enjoy seeing DC Comics getting spat at

madhair60

fables is dog shit compared to even alan moore's worst work, also bill willingham is a cunt

Midas

Ferris

13 schoolyards

I got a good laugh out of the idea that a series based on fairy tale characters was now "in the public domain" - especially as even Willingham has gone on to say that all the stuff he's written is still owned by DC, he's just given the thumbs up to other people writing stories about Snow White and Jack Be Nimble and so on.

Fully expect the comics internet to demand Alan Moore give the green light to other people writing stories about Captain Nemo and Jeckle & Hyde any minute now

Mister Six

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on September 21, 2023, 07:24:20 AMI got a good laugh out of the idea that a series based on fairy tale characters was now "in the public domain" - especially as even Willingham has gone on to say that all the stuff he's written is still owned by DC, he's just given the thumbs up to other people writing stories about Snow White and Jack Be Nimble and so on.

Fully expect the comics internet to demand Alan Moore give the green light to other people writing stories about Captain Nemo and Jeckle & Hyde any minute now

Obviously anyone can write a series set in modern America and based on fairy stories. It's when you have a wolf called Bigby who's the sheriff of Fabletown and hangs out with a guy called Jack who's a conman and the Jack in every fairy story that you tread into Willingham's territory.

I wish I were absurdly rich because I'd love to fund a lawsuit challenging DC on this (plus the usual stuff about helping the poor and all that).

Magnum Valentino

I'm reading Providence - can I get away with skipping the lengthy handwritten passages at the back of each issue? I understand there's lots of character work going on there but it's literally difficult to read. Fucking HANDWRITING like. Takes ages squinting which is an issue as the story is very compelling.

bgmnts

Ugh don't tell me that; I have it waiting to be read in the pile. I skipped the lengthy prose at the end of the LoEG issues and felt shit about it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: bgmnts on September 27, 2023, 10:39:16 AMUgh don't tell me that; I have it waiting to be read in the pile. I skipped the lengthy prose at the end of the LoEG issues and felt shit about it.

I read the prose bits in LoEG but I can't say I enjoyed many of them, most of the time it seemed like an arduous task, and though there are moments which are inspired a lot of the time I wish he'd told these stories in comics form rather than text. The Black Dossier is a bit different, and some of that I loved, but I've recently picked up the Nemo trilogy and was really dismayed to see they had prose stories at the back as well!

Magnum Valentino

I don't mind it if it's typed but the cursive handwriting makes it so difficult.

Same for Mary Jane's monologues in the mid 1990s Spider-Man books if anyone remembers.

13 schoolyards

I made it to the end of Providence without reading the squished-up text pages and it all come together fine, but I've read that (if you can be bothered) they do add a bit to the story - I keep meaning to go back and re-read it and skim the text pages looking for important tie-in information. I think The Black Dossier was probably the high point in Moore actually integrating text passages into his comics, though I've always been happy to read the back matter in Watchmen.

That said, I really enjoyed the annotations in From Hell - there was a stage where I'd probably read them more than the comic itself

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on September 27, 2023, 01:15:16 PMI made it to the end of Providence without reading the squished-up text pages and it all come together fine, but I've read that (if you can be bothered) they do add a bit to the story - I keep meaning to go back and re-read it and skim the text pages looking for important tie-in information. I think The Black Dossier was probably the high point in Moore actually integrating text passages into his comics, though I've always been happy to read the back matter in Watchmen.

That said, I really enjoyed the annotations in From Hell - there was a stage where I'd probably read them more than the comic itself

I think with The Black Dossier there was an infectious sense of fun as Moore tackled so many disparate writing styles, but the text stories in the comics themselves were stodgy, and I felt he made exciting stories feel quite drab.

Magnum Valentino

Sacked Providence off, just too much like Alan Moore using comics as a medium for relaying research he'd undertaken. Every one of the first 8 or so issues was a man going to a place and being told things. 90 percent exposition and the occasional really satisfying bit of spooky business, but without the beauty or vitality of From Hell which is similar in format.

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 17, 2023, 09:51:29 PMThat sounds like the best possible way to experience From Hell for the first time, I am completely jealous. Also, I love a good emergency, as long as it's not life-threatening.

You what the ending is?

It's a tour de force.

We lost power during Cyclone Philippe so I sorted my familiar "candle-armchair" setup in the front room and finished this.

It was absolutely fucking
Spoiler alert
brilliant. I proper loved the madness of it all, and all the "gull-catching" metaphors which were slightly heavy handed but so much fun who cares? Delighted I pushed through with it.

Just started hurricane season here so I'm sure I'll read it again, and am looking forward to it (which I never thought I'd say about a power cut).
[close]