Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:37:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Reasons why I want to obliterate Guy Garvey

Started by kalowski, March 18, 2024, 08:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: kalowski on March 19, 2024, 06:27:14 AMI bought first one, Asleep in the Back, after a glowing review in Uncut.
I'm guessing you were too young to know better. I know I made the same mistake around the same time with some band who were so bland, I seem to have wiped them from my memory. I only used to buy Uncut (from around 1999-2002) for the free CD, until the point came when I realised all the new stuff they were praising was generally wishy-washy crap made by over-earnest young with acoustic guitars.

LordMorgan

Very patchy output even on that debut album which is easily their best

Very dull most of the time
But definitely a few decent songs.

I always much preferred doves

holyzombiejesus

I remember one of the lyrics penned by this supposed wordsmith went 'Choose your favourite shoes and put your blues on cruise control', with Garvey emphasising all the 'oos'. A friend had the album and we used to get him to put that bit in when we were off our heads so we could laugh at it.
Also, my ex used to live with the guitarist and he used to hack up greenies and spit them in to empty mugs.

jobotic

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 19, 2024, 06:37:40 AMI'm guessing you were too young to know better. I know I made the same mistake around the same time with some band who were so bland, I seem to have wiped them from my memory. I only used to buy Uncut (from around 1999-2002) for the free CD, until the point came when I realised all the new stuff they were praising was generally wishy-washy crap made by over-earnest young with acoustic guitars.

Young people bought Uncut? To hide Gardeners World magazine in?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: jobotic on March 19, 2024, 08:04:36 AMYoung people bought Uncut? To hide Gardeners World magazine in?
I know I picked it up for the first time (around Spring '99) because there was an extensive New Order article/interview as the cover story (there was also a John Cale retrospective piece and interview). There was similar for acts like the Pretenders, Suede, Depeche Mode. It wasn't a bad read for someone with little interest in the contemporary "alternative" music of the time, until they settled into the cycle of Byrds, Beatles, Young, Springsteen etc that seemingly continues to this day.

Plus as I said, as a skint 18/19 year old, the cover CD was a relatively cheap way to hear stuff I didn't already have.

Shaxberd

I wouldn't say they're a favourite of mine, but I don't mind Elbow. As middle of the road indie bands go I'd take them over Snow Patrol or Kasabian.

Quite like this one about betting on the horses:

And their Destiny's Child cover was fun (presented here in grainy novelty flash vid nostalg-o-vision to remind you of the 2000s):

They should have featured the xylophone on more songs.

Endicott

"And why am I telling you this? Because you need to know."

pigamus

The only one I know is that throw those curtains wiiiiide song. I was asleep after the first four bars. Almost wilfully dull.

ProvanFan

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 19, 2024, 06:37:40 AMI'm guessing you were too young to know better. I know I made the same mistake around the same time with some band who were so bland, I seem to have wiped them from my memory. I only used to buy Uncut (from around 1999-2002) for the free CD, until the point came when I realised all the new stuff they were praising was generally wishy-washy crap made by over-earnest young with acoustic guitars.

Turin Brakes?

dontpaintyourteeth

That era of Uncut was mostly "Americana" wasn't it? (Not the Offspring album)

poodlefaker

Quote from: Endicott on March 19, 2024, 08:23:07 AM"And why am I telling you this? Because you need to know."

This is the aspect of his radio show that really grinds my gears. So deeply condescending. Now here's some more achingly beautiful, truly WORTHY music. By one of my great mates...a top bloke.

LordMorgan

I do quite enjoy the guy Harvey from the vaults programme on sky arts

Some fantastic footage

sevendaughters

band are prime liggers, proper bunch of Mr. Manchesters

phantom_power

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on March 18, 2024, 09:11:48 PMLiterally don't hear any resemblance to any era of Talk Talk either

The first album is a bit Talk Talk. It has moments of minimalism and is quite atmospheric. I think you can be influenced by someone without sounding like them though

Garvey is an odd sort to hate. He seems pretty harmless and seems to genuinely love music, even if you think he might be being over-earnest about it

Stoneage Dinosaurs

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: phantom_power on March 19, 2024, 09:55:37 AMI think you can be influenced by someone without sounding like them though

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 18, 2024, 08:50:44 PMI remember when they appeared and Q magazine made a Talk Talk comparison

Kankurette

Ah, the New Acoustic Movement. Or NAM as the NME called it.

sevendaughters

I remember him saying he loved Laughing Stock once in Q probably, I mean it is good, maybe overrated next to Colour of Spring, don't know where I'm going with this, that he lacks the restraint maybe.

dontpaintyourteeth

Right, NME. Uncut was too busy kissing the hoop of Ryan Adams to notice any of that shite

The Culture Bunker

Not sure I need to add: the Q line caught my attention, but after hearing Elbow, I put it down to the journo being a lazy hack.

Norton Canes

Bought some Guy Garvey product by accident once - he sings on 808 State's Lemonsoul

iamcoop

I've got a really nice Talk Talk book and Garvey is one of the main contributors to it so he's obviously seen as an authority on them in the music world (sadly).

shiftwork2

I call his 6 Music show Guy Garvey's Self-Satisfaction.

I'm Guy Garvey the lead singer of Elbow and this is my Self-Satisfaction

Hobo With A Shit Pun

iamcoop

Quote from: shiftwork2 on March 19, 2024, 10:45:59 AMI call his 6 Music show Guy Garvey's Self-Satisfaction.

I'm Guy Garvey the lead singer of Elbow and this is my Self-Satisfaction

He once did the smuggest intro I've ever heard which was about fifteen minutes of him going 'I'm recording this show from a beautiful hotel room in New York, my balcony is overlooking Central Park and the sun is beginning to set....' like who cares mate get on with your dross and play some more thuddingly dull Arlo Parks or something.

Vodkafone

Dr M1nx PhD

Quote from: PaulTMA on March 18, 2024, 11:36:25 PMA friend of mine years ago told me that his mum said she was watching a band on Glastonbury on the telly and texted to say that a pop star looked like like him.  Turns out she meant the keyboard guy out of Elbow.  "He's about 23 stone", he said in horror

I honestly thought this was going to turn out to be a "but doctor, I am the 23 stone keyboard player in Elbow!" thing about them being so dull their mothers don't recognise them.

boki

Quote from: pigamus on March 19, 2024, 08:23:17 AMThe only one I know is that throw those curtains wiiiiide song. I was asleep after the first four bars. Almost wilfully dull.
I have a crackpot theory that this song was pushed so hard so that Liam Gallagher would only be the second worst Manc at singing the word 'sun'.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy