Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 21, 2024, 01:38:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Why are mobile phone games shit?

Started by small_world, July 07, 2013, 12:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

small_world

Is it SNG who does game development?
I've just thought of a quality little game.
If you're about SNG, and can be fucked to listen to my little idea, please nod your head, or post in here... Whichevs.

lazarou

There's a few developers around here, far as I know. SNG, gout_pony, me (sort of) and I think a couple of others. I'm backed up 'til fuck knows when with ongoing and potential projects, but I still wouldn't mind hearing your idea.

Replies From View

Quote from: glitch on July 10, 2013, 05:52:56 PM
You're also ignoring the fact that... adding a controller to a mobile platform. Really? I know they exist but for your average mobile game, which is just killing time before/on a bus, it would seem a bit much to have to carry additional hardware round with you.

Presumably it would be a good add-on for most people, rather than something strictly necessary to complete the experience.  I've been playing Limbo on my tablet and as much as I've enjoyed it I have been annoyed on a few occasions by the limitations of the touch controls, making jumps happen at the wrong time, for example.  If it wasn't for the unlimited lives I'd have given up on it (and indeed I've given up on Sonic for this reason, turning it on now only for the nostalgia of the classic music and sound effects, which itself gets boring after about a minute). 

I've wondered whether I have the option to control it with my Bluetooth keyboard (didn't get around to trying), not with the thought of carrying that Bluetooth keyboard around with me all the time, but to make the game (and other platformers) more playable when I've had it to hand.

glitch

Ah, to be fair, I hadn't really thought of tablets. I imagine if someone were to write an API-type thing that would allow pairing, it might get some traction and eventually Apply would support it, similar to how Games Center came out after OpenFeint had already been about for a while.

Ignatius_S

iOS 7 is going to support third party controllers - Apple has already announced it's working with Logitech and another manufacturer (can't remember which one off the top of my head).

Currently, you're able to connect iOS games on a TV, either through a wired connection or wirelessly - when that's combined with physical controllers, I think a lot of people are going to be very interested. Certainly when I chatted to people about it, they like the idea of being able to take a device (which they are carrying anyway), round to a friend's house and play on their TV.

Replies From View

If it's anything like my old friend Ben bringing his Game Boy around and playing Duck Tails by himself, it will be rubbish.

Jerzy Bondov

I've just got addicted to Granny Smith. You have to make a rollerskating granny jump around collecting apples. Old ladies doing uncharacteristically energetic things isn't exactly a rich vein of humour, but the game itself is very good, especially if you're still amused by ragdoll figures crashing through walls, which I am.

They've also brought Magic the Gathering 2014 out on Android, which is an absolute disaster for my social life and sleeping patterns. It doesn't really work on phones though; you need a tablet. Six quid or so for the full thing, which is pretty high for a tablet game, though obviously much cheaper than the real life version considering how many decks you get to try out.

momatt

The new Kavinsky game is pretty cool and very free (Android and Apple).  Which is the maximum price I am willing to pay.

Otherwise, the Megadrive emulator does me fine.

Robot Unicorn Attack 2's just been released for free on Android. I happily paid four bucks to get all the extra licensed tracks. This game is an ideal phone game. I wouldn't enjoy it half as much on a keyboard or a controller.

Playing on a tram with my headphones up listening to the Never Ending Story theme is flippin' magical. Flying through the sky as Corey Heart's saxaphone solo starts up is also magical. Everything in this game is magical.

It's charming and enthusiastic, and downright fun. It's likely the best endless runner there is. I highly recommend it. You still get a couple good tracks for free regardless if you're not interested in spending any money on it.

Also, all this talk of Earthbound makes me want to search for the best super Nintendo emulator, so I can leave negative feedback and condemn them to the bowels of hell. could anyone recommend me a functioning one so I can avoid such illicit software at all costs!?
Please. I need to destroy this evil.

momatt

Quote from: Bored of Canada on July 21, 2013, 02:14:30 PM
Robot Unicorn Attack 2's just been released for free on Android. I happily paid four bucks to get all the extra licensed tracks. This game is an ideal phone game. I wouldn't enjoy it half as much on a keyboard or a controller.

Cheers for this tip, I've previous played (and enjoyed) crappy free rip-offs of this, so the real thing should be great.  :)

mcbpete

Quote from: Bored of Canada on July 21, 2013, 02:14:30 PM
Also, all this talk of Earthbound makes me want to search for the best super Nintendo emulator, so I can leave negative feedback and condemn them to the bowels of hell. could anyone recommend me a functioning one so I can avoid such illicit software at all costs!?
Please. I need to destroy this evil.
Yongzh's GBoid/NESoid/SNESoid all got pulled from the Android store in 2011 when Google went a bit nuts and pulled down all console emulators, but they're available here and IMO are the best Nintendo emulators out there - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1102195

Quote from: mcbpete on July 22, 2013, 12:00:47 PM
Yongzh's GBoid/NESoid/SNESoid all got pulled from the Android store in 2011 when Google went a bit nuts and pulled down all console emulators, but they're available here and IMO are the best Nintendo emulators out there - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1102195

Cheers for that. I've noted them down and sent their names to Nintendo's lawyers, and will do the same for this English translated Earthbound one.

I can vividly remember the first 15 minutes of it when I legally purchased the game back in the day. I still remember the disappointment I felt when I realised there wasn't enough spaces in the name to call my guy Ballbag as I generally do. The sound design in this thing is crazy so far, and it's got the flying circus theme in there. Like, literally sampled. Not a 8 bit midi synthesized version or anything.

I'm on my phone so I can't change some of those to past tense. Please do so in your mind. Also, if you are a police officer you have to tell me.

mcbpete

Yeah the soundtrack is bloody nuts, it's all over the shop stylistically but just adds to the offbeat charm of the thing. A tip [for the game you're definitely not playing], don't get disheartened by the first proper boss (the weird teddy-boy type guy) - he'll be a right pain in the arse if you're not levelled up enough, get to Level 8 and you should find things much easier.

Yeah, it reminds me a lot of Space Funeral. And I love Space Funeral. Though clearly Earthbound inspired that and not the other way around. Both have crazy soundtracks and odd, offbeat humour and charm.

lazyhour

There's a fan-made English patch available for Mother 3 (ie Earthbound 2) on the GBA. Thanks to this thread I'm going to track it down and put it on my hacked PSP for funtimes!

Consignia

I've recently bought Crazy Taxi for Android because I had all that credit from buying a Nexus 7 ages ago[nb]And what else was I going to spend on? Buying all the Bisei Tokei's again?[nb]..which I probably will anyway[/nb][/nb]. I'm kind of conflicted over it. Crazy Taxi is actually one of my favourite games ever, I sometimes fire up the Dreamcast to have another quick go on it every now and then. On the one hand, the Android port is acutally quite good technically, it looks the business. It also has all the original music, which is an achievement in itself, as most ports have left these out. But the issues again come down to the controls. Two control schemes are available, and neither map particularly well to Dreamcast controls. The touch one is adequate, enough to be able to get a class S license[nb]although, I'm sure they've lowered the threshold for the scores $3500 for an S? That's a B in my book [nb]EDIT: $7k for a Crazy. Definitely screwed up.[/nb][/nb] but the tricks are difficult and the touch is just nowhere as accurate as a controller. I'm not even going to mention the tilt controls. I'm still finding it fun and addictive though.

So in conclusion, I'm not sure I'd say this disproves the rule, but for an arcade game on Android, it comes out pretty well.

SetToStun

Quote from: Bored of Canada on July 21, 2013, 02:14:30 PMRobot Unicorn Attack 2's just been released for free on Android. I happily paid four bucks to get all the extra licensed tracks. This game is an ideal phone game. I wouldn't enjoy it half as much on a keyboard or a controller.

Based on your enthusiasm, I downloaded RUA2 onto my phone. You were clearly not wrong - it's a fantastic little game for whiling away a journey or whatever. The controls are simple but work brilliantly when you start using them in combination in the trickier sections.  Kudos and karma to you, sir - you certainly know your mobile games.

'Rayman Fiesta Run,' the sequel to the brilliant mobile game, 'Rayman Something Or Other That I Liked But Deleted Once I Finished It And Have Forgotten What It Was Called But I Still Recommend it', has just released. Honestly, there's not much I actually play on my phone these days. So this is good timing. Instant purchase.

Unless it's free to play with shitty micro-transactions everywhere. I don't think it would be.

T-They...They wouldn't do that?

...Would they?

chand

Rayman Jungle Run was the other one. I kept it because they sporadically released additional levels for it for free.

Replies From View

For people who are looking for a decent Mario-esque game on their ipad, possibly other tablet computers and I don't know about phones, Lep's World 3 has recently come out.

I wish that stood for leprosy rather than leprechaun, but it's still alright.

brat-sampson

A number of these might work better on tablets than phones but either way the value for money on the latest Humble Mobile Bundle in unbelievable. Pay whatever you want for:

Spell Tower (RRP: £1.32)
Pretty word game that can be as relaxed as you like, ranging from all the time in the world to complete a grid to adding a row regularly/every row you make.
Watch

Rymdkapsel ( RRP: £3.29)
Pretty, again, and this time a simplified take on the base-building/RTS dynamic. Possibly a little too simple, but it does what it does well for the time it does it.
Clip

Epoch (RRP: £1.76)
Haven't played this but it's a cover-shooter. Apparently a pretty decent one too. Hate to add it but yes, it looks pretty.
Gameplay

Swordigo (Unavaliable on the Play Store)
Haven't tried this either but it's a hack/slasher that rated pretty highly on iOS sites as far as I can tell. Action/RPG platforming and sidescrolling.
Footage

Pay over the average and you also get
Kingdom Rush(RRP: £1.23)
Excellent tower defense game. Playable for free over on Kongregate if you want to give it a go. It's tower defencse, so you know if you'll enjoy it already, but it's one of the best ones. At first I thought it was one of the ones that bugged you for in-app purchases to actually get through it, but that doesn't seem to have happened to me yet.
View

Ridiculous Fishing (Also making it's Android debut here exclusively)
I popped briefly into this and stopped an hour or so later. A great little addictive fish-em-up where you tilt the device to avoid fish on the way down until you collide/run out of line, then tilt into as many as you can on the way back up. Then they all fly into the air, hundreds of the buggers, and you tap/drag to gun them all down with a pistol/shotty/minigun etc. Spend money on upgrades to get more fish to get more money and etc. Addictive and great.
Youtube

Current average is < $5 for all six games, some goes to charity, the usual Humble deal. Also if you pay over average, you get more unannounced games next week, which you might already own/might be shite, but based on the pedigree of these might well also be great.

Go for it.

Ridiculous Fishing's out on Android!? Finally!

I've been bloody waiting to play it properly for ages. Played it on a friends iPhone and loved it, instant purchase.

HappyTree

I don't know if I'd say "great", but out of all the iPod Touch games I have, there are only a few I actually go back to:

• Angry Birds: it's trial and error boring, but holds attention enough for the length of time I need to see to my daily evacuation.
  • Jetpack Joyride: quite fun, even doing and re-doing the objectives is fun for the sake of collecting new gear. But blimey it goes fast when you get to 3000m, just impossible!
  • Doodle Jump: has some nice 'just one more go' features like trying to get another rocket ship for a big boost.
  • WELDER: nice little word puzzle that rewards my poor grasp of letter permutations by allowing 4-letter words to score and advance the game ok. Getting to level 15 without buying any cheats is challenging but not impossible.
  • Tiny Wings: simple, colourful, infuriating yet 'addicting' and has nice, relaxing music.
  • Cat Physics: cute puzzler, and cats!
  • Find The Object (various): can get engrossing due to my inability to accept that I just cannot see something. Touch mechanic much more suited to this than a computer mouse.

The rest of the games I have drew me in with promises of greatness and were a bit cack.

brat-sampson

The same Humble Bundle now also includes Hundreds, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor and the inimitable Desert Bus.

Well, two out of three aint bad[nb]Oxford's a complete dump, etc[/nb].

Replies From View

Doctor Who: Legacy will be out today for free on iOS and Android, apparently.

SetToStun

Quote from: glitch on July 08, 2013, 05:29:22 PMPlague Inc

This sounded intriguing, so I downloaded it and I have to say, it's been burning my battery ever since. A great little game, although one caveat is that there is a sure-fire way to win (up to normal level, anyway) every single time, so you can fall into the habit of using that method to go through all the plague types by the numbers. It is such a thrill, though, the first time you see that Stunners (my plague) is about to wipe out humanity and the last remaining humans "lie dying in their holes".

Recommended - still playing.

Beagle 2

Yeah I really enjoyed this one. Did you get past the fungus level?

SetToStun

Yep - I've just unlocked the nano-whatsits by completing the prion level :-)

syntaxerror

Quote from: HappyTree on November 21, 2013, 07:23:01 AM
Doodle Jump: has some nice 'just one more go' features like trying to get another rocket ship for a big boost.   

I recently re-discovered this game and forgot how much of a cunty little joy of a game it is. A couple of rounds is just long enough to pass the time whilst having a poo and like you say the 'just one more go' factor keeps pulling you back to beat your score.

glitch

Quote from: SetToStun on November 27, 2013, 12:28:42 PM
A great little game, although one caveat is that there is a sure-fire way to win (up to normal level, anyway) every single time, so you can fall into the habit of using that method to go through all the plague types by the numbers. It is such a thrill, though, the first time you see that Stunners (my plague) is about to wipe out humanity and the last remaining humans "lie dying in their holes".

I think the first few you can get very easily by playing the long game, but the later disease types will die out if you try that tactic. There have been some updates recently, so I should probably give them a go.

Fancy some challenges?