Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:35:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wiley's coming to town

Started by lazyhour, January 29, 2024, 06:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazyhour

Or more specifically, Wiley's on the bill of an upcoming festival in the town just down the road from me.

Am I being a sensitive snowflake wokerati cuck for being really shocked by this booking? In case anyone didn't know, he's been a vile bigoted prick for years now. Here's his wiki page:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiley_(musician)

Here's the relevant section:

QuoteFollowing the controversy surrounding Nick Cannon's antisemitic allegations on 14 July 2020, Wiley made a series of posts and videos on social media on 24 July 2020, generally condemned as antisemitic,[86][8] that described Jewish people as "cowards" and "snakes",[87] alleged significant racism and exploitation from Jewish people towards black people (particularly in business and the music industry), and compared the power of the Jewish community to that of white supremacist group Ku Klux Klan.[88][89] He also claimed that Jews write laws, own the police, run banks and run the world.[90] His management ceased representing him and Wiley received a temporary ban from Twitter.[91][92] A police investigation was launched into the posts.[93] The next day, Wiley's manager John Woolf announced that Wiley had been dropped from A-List Management.[94]

On 27 July, a 48-hour boycott of Twitter by some users was started under the hashtag "#NoSafeSpaceForJewHate", protesting the social media site's slow response to the tweets.[98] The following day, Facebook, Inc. deleted his personal accounts on Facebook and Instagram for "repeated violations" of their terms of conduct in his posts towards Jewish celebrities who had criticised him.[8] On 29 July 2020, it was announced that Wiley was permanently suspended from Twitter.[99]

On 29 July 2020, Wiley apologised for generalising about Jewish people and said that he is not a racist.[100]

note: see his 'apology' below

In August 2020, Wiley was suspended from YouTube[101] and TikTok.[102] In response, he joined social media app Parler, a right-wing social media platform.[103] The following month, the Metropolitan Police dropped their investigation when it was discovered that Wiley was in Rotterdam in the Netherlands when he sent the messages, and thus not under the jurisdiction of English law.[104]

In October 2020, The Campaign Against Antisemitism said that it had launched a private prosecution against Wiley to pursue race-hate charges.[105][needs update]

On 2 December 2021, Wiley was banned from Twitter and Instagram again for using a new account to share antisemitic content.[106][107]

And here's his apology, on Sky News (reported by the BBC):

Quote"My comments should not have been directed to all Jews or Jewish people. I want to apologise for generalising, and I want to apologise for comments that were looked at as anti-Semitic."

Sky News reported that the offensive tweets were sparked by a falling-out between the rapper and his former manager, who is Jewish. The pair cut ties in recent days.

"I just want to apologise for generalising and going outside of the people who I was talking to within the workspace and workplace I work in," Wiley said.

"I'm not racist, you know. I'm a businessman. My thing should have stayed between me and my manager, I get that."

However, the artist appeared in the interview to refuse to distance himself from most of the anti-Semitic comments he posted on social media.

Would you book this guy? Would you support a festival that did? Would you do anything about it if you didn't support this booking?

Nobody seems to give a shit about this locally, which really surprises me.

Thoughts?

Kankurette

No, but then I'm one of those snaky Jews so he wouldn't play for me anyway.

lazyhour

Please also use this thread to showcase creepy wronguns being booked to play shows in or near your town.

DrumsAndWires

Wiley got banned for speaking the truth lol

the truth is a bitter pill to swallow eh

Blinder Data

Quote from: DrumsAndWires on January 29, 2024, 06:56:44 PMWiley got banned for speaking the truth lol

you an anti-Semite as well, then?

Vodkafone

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 29, 2024, 07:04:48 PMyou an anti-Semite as well, then?
Quote from: DrumsAndWires on January 29, 2024, 06:56:44 PMWiley got banned for speaking the truth lol

Yeah I think you need to clarify whether this is supposed to be some kind of sarcastic diss of Wiley or whether we need to eject you.

Vodkafone

The line 'I'm not a racist, I'm a businessman' is quite hard to get your head around and just makes me think of "What, in my shop?"

lazyhour

I suppose the bigger question I'm asking is 'should we no-platform bigots' and 'does no-platforming work?'

A partial answer to both questions would be: try to find a review online of his post-controversy album "Anti-Systemic" (geddit??).

DrumsAndWires

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 29, 2024, 07:04:48 PMyou an anti-Semite as well, then?

depends on which definition you're using. IHRA?

course i don't hate jewish people, but that don't mean they can't be criticised.
the "alleged significant racism and exploitation from Jewish people towards black people (particularly in business and the music industry)" is a little closer to the truth than some people might care to admit.

Calling jews snakes and cowards ain't classy though.

DrumsAndWires

Quote from: lazyhour on January 29, 2024, 07:58:07 PMI suppose the bigger question I'm asking is 'should we no-platform bigots' and 'does no-platforming work?'

A partial answer to both questions would be: try to find a review online of his post-controversy album "Anti-Systemic" (geddit??).

is there any point no-platforming him though? he's pretty much had his entire reputation ruined, so it would surprise me if tickets sold well

Kankurette

Yeah, some Jews are racist bastards, everything that's going on in Israel is proof of that, doesn't make what Wiley said right. The twat compared us to the KKK even though they hate Jews.

I'm glad you don't hate us though, that reassures me ever so slightly.

bgmnts

Quote from: WikipediaHe supports the English football team Tottenham Hotspur

Kankurette

Many rappers are apparently Spurs fans. As is Adele.

The Mollusk

Quote from: DrumsAndWires on January 29, 2024, 08:10:31 PMcourse i don't hate jewish people, but that don't mean they can't be criticised.

Wiley has been a gobby twat making an idiot of himself online for years. Try not to fall into the same habit mate, it won't go well.

Blinder Data

@DrumsAndWires, here is some of the so-called "truth" that Wiley spoke about

"Jewish people are cowards do something to me I am waiting."

"Jewish people act rough but they hide behind the police."

"Who writes the laws? Who changes the laws? Who implements new laws? WHO? What is the 5%ers? Who are they all? Who runs the world? Who runs the banks? WHO WRITES THE LAW BOOK? Who hides behind the police? Who owns the police?"

Quote from: DrumsAndWires on January 29, 2024, 08:10:31 PMCalling jews snakes and cowards ain't classy though.

"ain't classy"?! it's more than that, it's racism. thought experiment: replace any other ethnic group with Jews in that sentence.

you show a worrying lack of awareness or seriousness about antisemitism.

phantom_power

Quote from: DrumsAndWires on January 29, 2024, 08:10:31 PMdepends on which definition you're using. IHRA?

course i don't hate jewish people, but that don't mean they can't be criticised.
the "alleged significant racism and exploitation from Jewish people towards black people (particularly in business and the music industry)" is a little closer to the truth than some people might care to admit.

Calling jews snakes and cowards ain't classy though.

Obviously black people don't suffer racism from any other group of people so it is only right and fair to single out Jewish people in this practice

gilbertharding

This doesn't look good for Corby.

Kankurette

Hahaha, those Jews getting offended by Wiley, they're just making it up, amirite? Because we know how much Jews lie. Antisemitism isn't real after all.

Head Gardener

Phew, I was worried Jo Wiley was DJing in Dundee for a minute

bgmnts

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 30, 2024, 07:35:02 AM@DrumsAndWires, "Who writes the laws? Who changes the laws? Who implements new laws? WHO? What is the 5%ers? Who are they all? Who runs the world? Who runs the banks? WHO WRITES THE LAW BOOK? Who hides behind the police? Who owns the police?"

Sebastian Cobb

Jeez, I remember that happening at the time but I thought it happened more recently than 4 years ago.

phantom_power

Anti-Semitism in rap about Jewish people running everything dates back the likes of Professor Griff in Public Enemy and probably before then as well. Typical UK rapper, just copying the Americans.

Funcrusher

Festival should be fine, booking Wiley isn't doing a bad antisemitism. If they have a showing of 'Oh Jeremy Corbyn: the big lie' or if they have Lowkey on and he says 'from the river to the sea' is where things get tricky.

phantom_power

Have they condemned Hamas lately?

The Mollusk

Bigger picture here is that the festival are mugging themselves off purely on the basis that Wiley will almost certainly not show up for the gig

JaDanketies

Did he ever show up to his court case? It seemed like his brains fell out at around the same time as his anti-semitic Tweets, with him getting arrested for breaking into someone's house and smashing stuff up, and then failing to appear to court. In the latest update I can see, the police were looking for him, and this was over a year ago. Surely he can't still be 'on the lam' if he's touring

dontpaintyourteeth

never really got this guys reputation anyway besides like two early grime instrumentals. even a fan would concede he's done nothing of any consequence since all that stuff leaked in 2010 or whenever it was

JaDanketies

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on January 30, 2024, 12:10:58 PMnever really got this guys reputation anyway besides like two early grime instrumentals. even a fan would concede he's done nothing of any consequence since all that stuff leaked in 2010 or whenever it was

This is the biggest Wiley song I know, it even has Idris Elba and Sean Paul on it, and it was released just before his career-defining tweets

The Mollusk

I loved grime back in the day, though I've not revisited it in years but I remember never being that taken by Wiley either. I was always more of a Kano fan.

dontpaintyourteeth

I didn't say he didn't have hits.