Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,804
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:26:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs That Are So Inimitable That Nobody Is Foolish Enough To Cover Them

Started by Dr Rock, February 01, 2024, 05:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Bohemian Rhapsody was also covered by Rolf Harris, who released it as a single.

Brundle-Fly

This is like a musical Googlewhack game. It's hard to find an example.

Cool For Cats by Squeeze?

jobotic

Flipper's Sex Bomb but Terminal Cheesecake Tom Jones did a cracking version.

dontpaintyourteeth

desperately searching every song that gets mentioned in the hope i can be the first one to pedantically point out that someone covered it

even though that's not really the point

imitationleather

Oh, I dunno... How about Rape by Peter Wyngarde?

Would actually like to hear someone attempt to cover it, ngl.

Dr Rock

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on February 02, 2024, 06:07:53 PMdesperately searching every song that gets mentioned in the hope i can be the first one to pedantically point out that someone covered it

even though that's not really the point

Try this ultrabanger

I haven't checked, so maybe some fool has.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: imitationleather on February 02, 2024, 07:47:44 PMOh, I dunno... How about Rape by Peter Wyngarde?

Would actually like to hear someone attempt to cover it, ngl.

I heard the brass riff sampled on a Big Beat track about twenty five years ago if that counts?

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Dr Rock on February 02, 2024, 08:20:57 PMTry this ultrabanger

that whole album fuckin rules and I haven't heard it in ages

I'm going to listen to it NOW.

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on February 02, 2024, 05:25:15 PMJustin Hawkins doing This Town Isn't Big Enough For the Both of Us

You know what? I think he did OK on what should on paper be a completely impossible task. The Maels seem to be having fun in the video at least.

Dr Rock

One of my exes was a locust abortion technician.

And sometimes she'd dress up as a clown and hold a little dog on her hand to make the other clowns laugh.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Shaxberd on February 02, 2024, 08:26:00 AMI was gonna say Bohemian Rhapsody - why would you cover another band's most famous song, that is also quite long and unusually structured - but Panic at the Disco apparently did it, the fools.

lazyhour

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on February 01, 2024, 05:43:48 PM
edit: ah fuck those boring Uncut pleasing losers Lambchop did this

Er, excuse me? One of the greatest bands of the last 40 years, thank you very much. I don't usually give a shit if someone slags off a band I love but shitting on Lambchop is just stupidly wrong.

I'm shocked. Shocked!

Schlippy

You'd struggle to do any Life Without Buildings song justice with another singer. Went viral on TiKTok with someone lip-syncing, but that doesn't count.

And yeah, shit-talking Lambchop, what the fuck.

famethrowa

Parklife?

(I'm not finishing someone's post, I'm asking about the song)

Dr Rock

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: famethrowa on February 02, 2024, 11:53:27 PMParklife?

(I'm not finishing someone's post, I'm asking about the song)

True. Blur's back catalogue has rarely been covered (apart from Song 2 and Girls & Boys).  Rather like the aforementioned Squeeze, Dexys, Ian Dury & The Blockheads, for some reason.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 03, 2024, 12:15:17 AMTrue. Blur's back catalogue has rarely been covered (apart from Song 2 and Girls & Boys).  Rather like the aforementioned Squeeze, Dexys, Ian Dury & The Blockheads
, for some reason.

Nouvelle Vague dunnit.

Indomitable Spirit

Not a cover but a shameless cut and paste job by crap skate punk band Pennywise

boki

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 02, 2024, 08:24:59 PMI heard the brass riff sampled on a Big Beat track about twenty five years ago if that counts?
It was also sampled by Black Box Recorder on their cover of Uptown Top Ranking (the original of which could have been a decent contender for this thread, come to think of it).

Mr_Simnock

PaulTMA

Daniel Johnston did, possibly because he resembled one at the time

Lambchop's cover of When You Were Mine is smug and useless and belongs on an Uncut free CD

gilbertharding

Somehow feels as if saying 'Nouvelle Vague covered it' doesn't really count in this thread. Like, technically, that's the entire point of Nouvelle Vague - to cover unlikely songs.

Like - I could say that Convoy GB is a song that's so inimitable that etc etc, but then - there's a version of it on one of the Hallmark Top of the Pops albums

Schlippy

Doesn't really fit here as loads of people have covered Jawbreaker (almost always terribly), but I've just discovered Jahbreaker and this had me hooting with delight:

It's a one-note joke and all their covers sound exactly the same, but a white boy reggae band doing rasta-themed covers of Schwarzenbach's angsty proto-emo makes me laff like a drain.

dex

Minami Minegishi

I was going to say a couple of Antony and the Johnsons songs because she seems to have a very particular sound and that tone, and the lyrics are unusually personal.

But TIL that loads have covered her songs, and a couple of them have even been used on those Idol shows. Huh.

Kankurette

Mr Banlon