Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:18:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Les Savy Fav - new album and tour

Started by Schlippy, February 08, 2024, 02:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schlippy

Oh fuck yes.

Tickets go on sale for a run of UK dates in May tomorrow morning, was too ill to catch them last time they played the UK in 2010 so couldn't be more excited. The Brudenell gig is apparently gonna be "a curated multi room & multi band takeover" so that sounds fun.

New song:

fuzzyste

Last time I saw them was ATP vs the fans around 2007, insane live show. Must admit I forgot all about this band, will revisit this weekend.

The Mollusk

Quote from: fuzzyste on February 08, 2024, 10:42:34 PMLast time I saw them was ATP vs the fans around 2007, insane live show. Must admit I forgot all about this band, will revisit this weekend.

I was there too, great set. Hope you weren't the annoying mega fan in the crowd who kept screaming at them to play Cat and the Cobra! ;)

They still put on an awesome show, dude was surfing across the crowd on a huge wooden panel in a white suit covered in red wine at Primavera 2022.

Enzo

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 08, 2024, 11:14:32 PMI was there too, great set. Hope you weren't the annoying mega fan in the crowd who kept screaming at them to play Cat and the Cobra! ;)

Was there myself. Such a good band. very happy they are back!

wonder how many of us were at ATP vs the fans 2007? Magic.

Epic Bisto

I was there too.  Their drummer looked like John Majors.

non capisco

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 08, 2024, 11:14:32 PMThey still put on an awesome show, dude was surfing across the crowd on a huge wooden panel in a white suit covered in red wine at Primavera 2022.

Ha, yeah that was great! I admire Tim Harrington's practical improvisational skills at creating the right amount of stage chaos even in a festival environment. That and the fact that he now looks even more like a painting of an ancient and vengeful Athenian god.

fuzzyste

Quote from: Enzo on February 09, 2024, 01:30:30 AMWas there myself. Such a good band. very happy they are back!

wonder how many of us were at ATP vs the fans 2007? Magic.

I went to a few of the ATPs and every single one was brilliant, really miss those days. The weekend tickets were ridiculously cheap look back now, dont think I ever saw bad performance at one of them.

fuzzyste

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 08, 2024, 11:14:32 PMI was there too, great set. Hope you weren't the annoying mega fan in the crowd who kept screaming at them to play Cat and the Cobra! ;)

They still put on an awesome show, dude was surfing across the crowd on a huge wooden panel in a white suit covered in red wine at Primavera 2022.

I was not! I didnt and still dont really know much of their stuff but very much enjoyed what I saw, I seem to remember the singer painting himself black and running into the crowd

The Mollusk

Quote from: fuzzyste on February 12, 2024, 01:08:52 PMI was not! I didnt and still dont really know much of their stuff but very much enjoyed what I saw, I seem to remember the singer painting himself black and running into the crowd

Haha yeah, and also in a sort of brown furry animal costume at some point as well? I'd love to see that bloke's wardrobe. Wouldn't like to smell it though.

dontpaintyourteeth

slightly off topic but regret never doing an ATP as a sober person because I can only vaguely remember who I saw and whatnot

Schlippy

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 12, 2024, 02:41:22 PMHaha yeah, and also in a sort of brown furry animal costume at some point as well? I'd love to see that bloke's wardrobe. Wouldn't like to smell it though.
The amount of costumes Tim gets through in a single set is absolutely bananas, saw him go from half naked to a full lycra bodysuit then some sort of big bird type effort with millions of tassels once. Gotta admire the committment to the bit.

fuzzyste

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on February 12, 2024, 02:44:37 PMslightly off topic but regret never doing an ATP as a sober person because I can only vaguely remember who I saw and whatnot

They were absolute free for alls, walking around butlins absolutely off your face and then you bump into Johnny Marr/Nick Cave/Sonic Youth...it was mental. The trip back home to Leeds was never fun however, thank god I didnt live in glasgow at the time.

I think to this day seeing Cornelius there was one of my favourite ever shows, the MDMA probably helped with that however.

cosmic-hearse

Haven't thought about this band for ages. I would echo the sentiment that they were a fantastic live act (records somewhat lacklustre, though I've not heard one for over 20 years so who knows).

Very much an early 2000's band, one I associate with The Dismemberment Plan, The Fucking Champs, (later) Rye Coalition etc. etc. I saw them at 93 Feet East on Brick Lane, an equally extremely early 2000's venue (does it even still exist?).

Schlippy

Quote from: cosmic-hearse on February 14, 2024, 05:33:07 PMHaven't thought about this band for ages. I would echo the sentiment that they were a fantastic live act (records somewhat lacklustre, though I've not heard one for over 20 years so who knows).

Very much an early 2000's band, one I associate with The Dismemberment Plan, The Fucking Champs, (later) Rye Coalition etc. etc. I saw them at 93 Feet East on Brick Lane, an equally extremely early 2000's venue (does it even still exist?).
I'd agree that their earlier stuff was a bit hit and miss, but the last two albums proper (Let's Stay Friends and Root for Ruin) are chock full of bangers. They marry the noise / post-hardcore elements with layers of harmonies and hooks perfectly, well worth a listen and a proper development from their initial run of records.

non capisco

Yeah, that "I HOLD MY BREATH, YOU HIT MY CHEST" hook suddenly crashing in late doors during Raging In The Plague Age never fails to excite me.