Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:48:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I Am (no longer) Damo Suzuki

Started by studpuppet, February 10, 2024, 02:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

Famous Mortimer

I had a ticket to see him at a local venue (like, walking distance from my house) in late March 2020. RIP to one of the best to ever do it.

Oosp

Hey you!
You're losing
You're losing
You're losing
You're losing Damo Suzuki

jobotic

Only saw him once when he did a gig with some friends during the tour when he played with local experimental musicians wherever he went. It was very good indeed, but quite weird to be seeing this icon in a shitty pub in Gillingham.

RIP. Great man.

Key

One of the greatest rock n roll frontmen of all time.

A shock but not a surprise, had not been in good health for a long time - he had cancer for at least 10 years, and before that gout. R.I.P. Damo.

Only Mooney & Irmin Schmidt left now (and they are mid-80s) Time's a bastard.

shiftwork2

Ah fuck.  I came late to Can (helped by a poster from this forum) and they became one of my favourite sources of music over the last few years.  An amazing body of work.

RIP.

Kankurette

I also got into Can through CaB and Ege Bamyasi is my favourite. Gutted.

sardines

One of those deaths that requires celebration of the man and an opportunity to belt out some great music. What a fucking spirit he was.
Favourite Damo shows include in a Cologne underground tunnel only a few years ago and him opening a blustery sea-side stage at Barcelona's Primavera to about 50 people every one of us fully appreciating we were watching a legend.

Minami Minegishi

Yeah, pretty gutted. Saw him in various guises over the years and almost always to small but fanatical audiences giving it all a pleasurable culty vibe. Been playing my favourite Can albums for the last 2-hours....

spaghetamine

bollocks. RIP to a real groovy motherfucker.

sevendaughters

Quote from: jobotic on February 10, 2024, 02:46:59 PMOnly saw him once when he did a gig with some friends during the tour when he played with local experimental musicians wherever he went. It was very good indeed, but quite weird to be seeing this icon in a shitty pub in Gillingham.

RIP. Great man.

I once played in a Damo Network band (literally promoter ringing up local musos). He was incredible, smoked the largest joint I've ever seen. Just a brilliant space cadet who played in one of the best bands ever.

Dirty Boy

Fucking hell.

Halleluhwah on a loop it is then.

Kankurette

Kanye might be a pube but he's got good taste.

buttgammon

It's hard to find any original thoughts because his presence was something that you couldn't adequately put into words, just like those vocals which tore at the seams of language. When I first heard Can, he captivated me in a way which hooked me into a musical world that would've otherwise been forbidding and everything that followed led to what's now basically my taste in music. A mind-expanding man.

Head Gardener

I was lucky enough to meet him and get this signed on a tour a few years back, Christ over 20 years ago! R.I.P.

ros vulgaris

RIP.

I think every band I like after the mid seventies stole a lot from them.

Video Game Fan 2000

RIP frontman of my favourite band during their best period

wrec

Quote from: jobotic on February 10, 2024, 02:46:59 PMOnly saw him once when he did a gig with some friends during the tour when he played with local experimental musicians wherever he went.

That was all his tours (in the last couple of decades at least)!

Quote from: sevendaughters on February 10, 2024, 05:12:16 PMI once played in a Damo Network band (literally promoter ringing up local musos).

I did a couple of those gigs too, a mad thing for any Can obsessive to experience. There are a handful of bands that made a run of records about as good as Soundtracks, Tago Mago, Ege Bamyasi and Future Days but none better I reckon.

Cuntbeaks

Saw him a few times with local sound carriers in Glasgow and it was a privilege every time.

It's always funny to hear folk wax lyrical about Tago Mago, a brilliant album of course, but the elephant in the room is the mind-splintering Aumgn. Potentially the most skipped track in music history. It's rewarding if you're in the mood, but you usually feel like you deserve a medal for seeing it all the way through.

Brundle-Fly

jobotic

Quote from: wrec on February 11, 2024, 12:18:26 AMThat was all his tours (in the last couple of decades at least)!

I hadn't realised that. What a great way to tour!

Kankurette

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on February 11, 2024, 12:21:09 AMSaw him a few times with local sound carriers in Glasgow and it was a privilege every time.

It's always funny to hear folk wax lyrical about Tago Mago, a brilliant album of course, but the elephant in the room is the mind-splintering Aumgn. Potentially the most skipped track in music history. It's rewarding if you're in the mood, but you usually feel like you deserve a medal for seeing it all the way through.
It's definitely one of those songs I have to be in the right mood to listen to. Halleluhwah is long as fuck but much pleasanter.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Kankurette on February 11, 2024, 12:40:58 AMIt's definitely one of those songs I have to be in the right mood to listen to. Halleluhwah is long as fuck but much pleasanter.

Just listened to Aumgn on headphones and very much enjoyed it. Peking O just wasn't doing it for me though, couldn't sit through it all.

Tago Mago really does go off the rails in the second half and I'm sure has precipatated a few bad trips in its tine.

"That was the fun bit, now buckle the fuck up"

NoSleep

Tago Mago is one of those albums that is never off rotation round here, particularly "Side One" (first three tracks that segue together, so good). And Mother Sky (Soundtracks) of course.

Went to see him at the Spitz and briefly met him after the gig, where I got to shake hands with him and talk about the way he smoked his cigarette (tore off the filter and smoked from the other end), which was how I used to smoke them before I packed in. Glad to see his demise was not smoking related, otherwise I would have felt guilty for encouraging this technique of his.

The Mollusk

I have literally never listened to sides C/D of Tago Mago. I'm not really a fan of albums that switch up drastically at the halfway point, heard it goes all dark and freaky in the second half which as a standalone thing I have nothing against but I'm so contented with that single LP of the first four songs that I've never ventured further for fear of tarnishing that which I love so much.

NoSleep

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 16, 2024, 05:48:54 PMI have literally never listened to sides C/D of Tago Mago. I'm not really a fan of albums that switch up drastically at the halfway point, heard it goes all dark and freaky in the second half which as a standalone thing I have nothing against but I'm so contented with that single LP of the first four songs that I've never ventured further for fear of tarnishing that which I love so much.

I think it was a last minute decision by Irmin Schmidt's wife (who was their manager)(I think) to append the 2nd album to the planned single album. In recognition of the effort put into what was otherwise now going to be shelved, but had been part of the process of making the album.

Egyptian Feast

You should give 'Bring Me Coffee Or Tea' a listen at least. It's a lovely track in it's own right, but especially appreciated following the madness of the previous two tracks.

Dirty Boy

Not bragging or 'owt, but i never really got what was meant to be so difficult about Aumgn which is practically Herman's Hermits compared to most of the NWW thread. Head music innit?

Peking O is Pingu having a meltdown over a primitive drum machine. Also good.