Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,802
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:31:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Anouk transphobe [split topic]

Started by Kankurette, February 11, 2024, 10:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

Speaking of TERF musicians, we can add Anouk to the list. She's posted a photo of her period accompanied by:
QuoteChopping ur peepee off doesn't make you a woman.
But this will.
Am I cancelled now?
Why are they like this.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Kankurette on February 11, 2024, 10:49:18 AMSpeaking of TERF musicians, we can add Anouk to the list. She's posted a photo of her period accompanied by:Why are they like this.

Who

Kankurette

Anouk is a Dutch singer who's huge there, or at least she was, but oesn't have much of a following outside the Netherlands. She was their Eurovision entrant a while back with a song called Birds. Her most famous song is Nobody's Wife, when she was going through an Alanis Morissette phrase. I actually like some of her stuff so I'm a bit annoyed, though not as much as I was when I found out about Miki Berenyi.
Quote from: Mx Wrongs on February 11, 2024, 11:05:28 AMI think they were just raised in a deeply sex-segregated society.

I learned yesterday that Debbie Hayton's wife (Stephanie?) is (or at least was) a devout Christian who I think made Debbie convert before they got married.

She has framed Debbie's transition as turning the whole family's world upside down, a devastating event (though she has stayed in the relationship for the most part, probably out of her religious vows, but that's just speculation).

On the face of it, this should have been a non-event. A husband changes the way he dresses. His body shape and fat distribution changes a bit. Gender reassignment surgery is significant, but more to them as a couple, rather than directly affecting the family.

Middle-aged men consume beer, grow beer-bellies, man boobs, start dressing in supermarket-drab. Nobody so much as passes comment.

Cross gender boundaries, and it's suddenly an unquestionably devastating event that threatens the very existence of your world. It's fucking insane.

I'm not familiar with the Netherlands - is it very sex segregated/traditional about gender roles?

All this TERF infighting is so deeply weird. They don't live in the real world.

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: Kankurette on February 11, 2024, 12:38:19 PMShe was their Eurovision entrant a while back with a song called Birds.

Oh well, fair enough then I guess her work has always been quite gender focused.

Kankurette

In one of the Reddit discussions about Anouk's bloody toilet, someone posted this:
QuoteAt this point, I don't wanna hear no more about people fear mongering about cancel culture.

Because I see a lot more irrelevant celebrities trying to get themselves "cancelled" on purpose because they know they can grift to right wing sides in order to get their relevancy up again.
Sounds familiar, eh?

Not gonna lie, I am feeling a lot of schadenfreude seeing Linehan get raked over the coals for not being rabid enough because he has his pet trans woman.

Mx Wrongs

Quote from: Kankurette on February 11, 2024, 12:38:19 PMI'm not familiar with the Netherlands - is it very sex segregated/traditional about gender roles?

All this TERF infighting is so deeply weird. They don't live in the real world.

It's very catholic, and it just seems the closer to christian fundamentalism a culture is, the more numerous and vociferous transphobes seem to be.

My take is quite reductive, but I can't help seeing it everywhere.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Kankurette on February 11, 2024, 12:38:19 PMAll this TERF infighting is so deeply weird. They don't live in the real world.

Unlike us CABbers eh?

iamcoop

Would really love it if I didn't have to see that Father Ted sad cunts name in Oscillations cheers. There's General Bullshit threads

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Mx Wrongs on February 11, 2024, 05:27:45 PMIt's very catholic, and it just seems the closer to christian fundamentalism a culture is, the more numerous and vociferous transphobes seem to be.

Is Netherlands Catholic? I don't particularly associate it that way.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: checkoutgirl on February 11, 2024, 09:55:00 PMWho?

Miki Eleonora Berenyi (born 18 March 1967)[1] is an English singer, songwriter, and guitarist best known as a member of the alternative rock band Lush and currently a member of Piroshka.[2][3]

Biography

Berenyi circa 1990
Berenyi was born in Chelsea, London to a Japanese mother,[4] actress Yasuko Nagazumi, and Hungarian father, Ivan Berenyi. She is also a second cousin of the Japanese singer-songwriter Cornelius.[5][6]

At age 14, Berenyi met friend and future bandmate Emma Anderson while both were students at Queen's College. They became interested in music and together published a music fanzine, Alphabet Soup (which lasted for five issues).[7] Berenyi first played bass with the band the Bugs.[8] In 1987, Berenyi studied English literature at North London Polytechnic, where she met drummer Chris Acland and singer Meriel Barham. Along with Anderson, they decided to form their own band, originally called the Baby Machines.[9][7] Bassist Steve Rippon joined and they changed their name to Lush. When Barham left, "the remaining members of Lush placed ads in local papers looking for Barham's replacement, but they couldn't find the singer they wanted and Berenyi took over the vocals".[7]

From 1987 until 1996, she played with Lush, releasing several albums, singles and music videos and toured extensively through the UK, North America, Japan, Australia and other countries.[7][10] She and Acland also collaborated with members of Cocteau Twins and Moose, releasing one song in 1991 under the name Lillies.[11][12]

Lush officially announced their breakup in February 1998,[7] following Acland's death by suicide in October 1996.

After Lush split, Berenyi appeared on The Rentals' album Seven More Minutes (1999). She also contributed vocals to a remix of a Flat 7 track by Robin Guthrie (who also produced Lush's early work) and appeared on Seinking Ships' debut album, Museum Quality Capture, released in 2010.[13][14]

When asked if she missed anything about her time in Lush, Berenyi stated, "I miss the excitement and energy of playing live and the camaraderie of touring—being with the band and crew in a foreign country is like going on holiday with your mates but even more fun because it's free."[15] She also said, "I enjoyed being in the band immensely, I'm glad I did it".[16]

Berenyi later worked for a magazine as a sub-editor[17] and did not perform for many years. She explained: "I was never a proper guitarist—only in the context of Lush. I played the guitar to write songs on and to play live".[15]

Lush, including Berenyi, announced a reunion on 28 September 2015, with former Elastica drummer Justin Welch taking over for Acland.[18] They toured extensively throughout 2016 and released an EP of new material; "Blind Spot" in April of that year.[19][20] Bassist Phil King left the band in October 2016 and as a consequence Lush played their final farewell gig, with Michael Conroy of Modern English on bass at Manchester Academy on 25 November 2016.

In September 2018, Berenyi announced that she had formed a new band, Piroshka, with Welch, Conroy and former Moose member K.J. "Moose" McKillop.[21] Berenyi and partner McKillop have two children.[22] Their debut album, Brickbat, was released by Bella Union on 15 February 2019.[23]

In September 2022, her memoir Fingers Crossed was published, to strong reviews. Berenyi was set to do a series of live Q&As to coincide with the release of the book from October 2022, including at Rough Trade Records London,[24] at Lincoln Drill Hall in conversation with Guy Mankowski,[25]and at IINSIDE, Manchester in conversation with John Robb (musician) of Louder Than War.[26]

In 2024, it has been announced that she will be on tour in the US in May and June. The Miki Berenyi Trio will perform Lush and Moose repertoire in Los Angeles at The Fonda Theatre on May 29th, Schellraiser McGill on the 31st, San Francisco at the Great American Music Hall on June 1st, Portland at Doug Fir Lounge on the 3rd, Seattle at Madame Lou's on the 4th, Denver at Bluebird Theatre on the 6th, Chicago at Bottom Lounge on the 7th and New York at Webster Hall on the 8th; Lol Tolhurst of The Cure and Budgie of Siouxsie and the Banshees will play their album Los Angeles as the special guests during all the tour bar the two first dates.[27]

Influences
In 2020, Berenyi cited The Shangri-Las as an influence for their harmonies and lyrics.[28] She has also cited ABBA and The Smiths as influences.

Mx Wrongs

Quote from: jamiefairlie on February 11, 2024, 09:46:12 PMIs Netherlands Catholic? I don't particularly associate it that way.

Not so much now, though I was more referring to historical social attitudes that were underpinned by strict readings of Christian moral law. I wasn't singling out the Dutch, I consider the UK to also have been historically a deeply sex-segregated society.

I was really just saying it's the cause of arbitrary bigotries like homophobia and now transphobia. Most of the bigots can't articulate why they e.g. have a negative opinion of same-sex relationships, I think it's because of the tacit disapproval they pick up from religious social values.

Same with breaking of gender-norms, like gender non-conforming - non-conforming to what? To biblical norms.

Kankurette

Miki Berenyi is the singer out of Lush and she's not openly TERFy like Anouk or Roisin Murphy but she has liked TERF shit and follows quite a lot of TERFs. So it looks pretty bad tbh.
Quote from: jamiefairlie on February 11, 2024, 05:35:10 PMUnlike us CABbers eh?
WTAF. CaB is nothing like the TERFosphere.
Quote from: iamcoop on February 11, 2024, 09:42:03 PMWould really love it if I didn't have to see that Father Ted sad cunts name in Oscillations cheers. There's General Bullshit threads
Sorry, this is my fault. I brought her up in the Glinner thread as an example of TERFs being dickheads and it got split off.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Kankurette on February 11, 2024, 10:45:23 PM.WTAF. CaB is nothing like the TERFosphere.

I was referring to this bit

"They don't live in the real world"

Kankurette

Go and practice your debating skills on someone else.

dontpaintyourteeth

fair play, saying 'who' about every person that gets mentioned is a good bit, i should have known the dutch pop star

Kankurette

I didn't expect anyone to know who she is, that's why I posted the link to Wikipedia.

lazyhour

Kankurette

Anouk Ist Bananen Geworden (I can't speak Dutch)

phantom_power

I thought one of the key things about feminism was to not boil women down to their biological essence as babymakers or whatever. This whole "you are only a woman if you have a period" seems like a massive step backwards in that respect. As well as ignoring the cis women who can't or don't have periods for whatever reason so it doesn't even work on its own terms

Pink Gregory

anyone pointed out that it's a bit weird to post your period on twitter

Kankurette

Apparently she got a roasting in the comments.

Pink Gregory

well posting a photo of your period isn't *normal* behaviour is it now

Cuellar

Point of order but the Netherlands only became the Netherlands because they WEREN'T catholic.

All the Catholic ones buggered off to Flanders and became Belgium. The protestants all stayed in the north and became Netherlands after kicking the Catholic Spanish out.

Kankurette

Even Tori Amos hasn't posted photos of her period. She is a GBOL about trans people though.

jobotic

Quote from: phantom_power on February 12, 2024, 06:31:49 PMI thought one of the key things about feminism was to not boil women down to their biological essence as babymakers or whatever. This whole "you are only a woman if you have a period" seems like a massive step backwards in that respect. As well as ignoring the cis women who can't or don't have periods for whatever reason so it doesn't even work on its own terms

Well quite.

Glebe

QuoteChopping ur peepee off doesn't make you a woman.
But this will.
Am I cancelled now?

Anouk already!

I was working in the Netherlands with my mates when I first heard of her I think, she was kind of having a moment with catchy singles 'R U Kiddin' Me' and 'The Dark'.

badaids

Quote from: Mx Wrongs on February 11, 2024, 05:27:45 PMIt's very catholic, and it just seems the closer to christian fundamentalism a culture is, the more numerous and vociferous transphobes seem to be.

Is the Netherlands very catholic?  I thought those that were religious were proudly protestant; all that orange everywhere.  That's not to say that proddies can't be all nasty and conservative.

Glebe

It's a predominantly protestant country, innit? William of Orange and all that.