Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,787
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:45:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I still like Slayer

Started by Dirty Boy, February 24, 2024, 09:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Quote from: Kankurette on February 25, 2024, 01:04:30 AMNot a massive fan but liked them at Reading, though putting them on before My Chemical Romance was a questionable decision.

why? they're a less popular, less entertaining band

The Mollusk

Never understood the reasoning behind this "big 4" label and why it's supposed to matter, especially 40 years later when it's long been established that there were plenty of other excellent bands around at the time. Any sub ranking of those 4 bands seems even more exclusionary.

lankyguy95

Quote from: madhair60 on February 26, 2024, 09:37:12 AMwhy? they're a less popular, less entertaining band
I presume she's referring to the fact that MCR got bottled that year. A lot of people put that partly down to being on straight after Slayer, performing to Slayer's audience, and suggested that they probably should have shifted Slayer somewhere else on the bill.

madhair60

Quote from: lankyguy95 on February 26, 2024, 10:56:52 AMI presume she's referring to the fact that MCR got bottled that year. A lot of people put that partly down to being on straight after Slayer, performing to Slayer's audience, and suggested that they probably should have shifted Slayer somewhere else on the bill.

surprised to learn that Slayer fans are all cunts

ASFTSN

Only My Chemical Romance fan I've ever met in real life was my manager who used to mutter in a panicked fashion "Just get rid of 'em, quickly" in my ear whenever a black person walked onto the shop floor. Eventually he stopped doing it because he knew - in his words that - I didn't like it as if it was a strange personal quirk I had.

Still, you can't generalise can you.

madhair60

Quote from: ASFTSN on February 26, 2024, 11:26:20 AMOnly My Chemical Romance fan I've ever met in real life was my manager who used to mutter in a panicked fashion "Just get rid of 'em, quickly" in my ear whenever a black person walked onto the shop floor. Eventually he stopped doing it because he knew - in his words that - I didn't like it as if it was a strange personal quirk I had.

Still, you can't generalise can you.

one who certainly won't be joining the black parade.

and look, i know not all Slayer fans are cunts, that's insane. it's all metal fans, full stop

dontpaintyourteeth

Most young people I seem to encounter these days love My Chemical Romance. And Paramore. They're both like legendary bands to the kids these days apparently

iamcoop

When I was a young boy
My boss he, asked me right on the shop floor
To banish all the blacks 

idunnosomename

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 26, 2024, 10:49:45 AMNever understood the reasoning behind this "big 4" label and why it's supposed to matter, especially 40 years later when it's long been established that there were plenty of other excellent bands around at the time. Any sub ranking of those 4 bands seems even more exclusionary.
it's totally objective in terms of album sales. Anthrax have two albums certified gold (500k confirmed shipped), no other thrash band outside the four does (Im pretty sure. Its relatively rare for a metal album to go gold). I don't think any one person came up with it because it was so self-evident how far these bands were ahead in sheer popularity from other thrash metal bands by the end of the 80s.

The Mollusk

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 26, 2024, 12:08:22 PMit's totally objective in terms of album sales. Anthrax have two albums certified gold (500k confirmed shipped), no other thrash band outside the four does (Im pretty sure. Its relatively rare for a metal album to go gold). I don't think any one person came up with it because it was so self-evident how far these bands were ahead in sheer popularity from other thrash metal bands by the end of the 80s.

Yeah I get it, but it just seems like a dull placeholder term which keeps analysis of music relatively fenced in when decades later that term doesn't really mean anything. Especially in a genre that can be as stuffy and closed off as metal notoriously is.

idunnosomename

Primarily now it's kept alive as a marketing term. By everyone else other than Metallica.

And like not just their management, oh Dave.

QuoteAnd I really think it's time for the guys in Metallica to step up, and us do one last round, see if we can get Slayer to come out of retirement and do a "Big 4 passing of the torch" to the new Big 4. It would remain to be seen who they are, but I have a feeling it would include some of the players we already mentioned.

I think it would be really cool symbolically if we did something at like, the LA Coliseum, even if it's one show and that's it. Slayer is from Los Angeles, so it would probably make it more convenient for them to go home at night. I personally have been hoping for this for a while, and I keep asking and asking and asking. They're just not into it. But that's up to them.

https://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/dave-mustaine-of-megadeth

Incidentally the most interesting bit there is him saying Lars wrote the intro of Master of Puppets on an acoustic. Thats why it's just chromatic, because he cant play scales. Huh.

thugler

Quote from: lankyguy95 on February 26, 2024, 10:56:52 AMI presume she's referring to the fact that MCR got bottled that year. A lot of people put that partly down to being on straight after Slayer, performing to Slayer's audience, and suggested that they probably should have shifted Slayer somewhere else on the bill.

I've noticed this before at festivals, really dumbass behaviour. But as mentioned in my previous post, it wasn't like that at their own gigs, at least when I was going as a teen.

I would agree that metal fans are the most snobby tedious conservative cunts at times. But i find that with anyone who insists on associating themselves with one specific 'scene'.

ASFTSN

Could be worse eh, there's always Manowar fans.

Goldentony

Quote from: iamcoop on February 25, 2024, 01:51:04 PMAnthrax are by far the worst of the big four. That's objectively true.

there is nothing Megadeth or Metallica have in their entire recorded arsenal that's close to as good as the WARDANCE bit of Indians

Goldentony

Anthrax are absolutely not objectively the worst sorry, the more I think about that the more mental it is, there's no world where Megadeth win any sort of head to head with Anthrax!  Anthrax wrote A.I.R! Scott Ian wrote MARCH OF THE FUCKING SOD!!!!!

Dirty Boy

It's been many eons since I listened to Megadeth, but isn't it basically the first two records and maybe bits of Rust In Peace are good then the rest is rodent shite?

dontpaintyourteeth

Megadeth are a greatest hits band, but one of those greatest hits goes HEURLEUGH MEEUUGH MEEEART THE REUUURL MEEUUGHH.

kngen

Kick Megadeth out of Big 4.

Put in Exodus (or Testament or Dark Angel or Possessed or The Evil Dead or Violence).

Megadeth are a bad band.

iamcoop

Megadeth are musically fucking boss but Mustaine is an intensely unlikeable weirdo and his vocals get increasingly shit.

(I'd still take them over Anthrax though).

Pranet

Back when I listened to bands like this, the thing I liked most that Megadeth did was the drunk version of Black Friday on the Wake Up Dead  single. Perhaps they should have done all of their recordings pissed.

Video Game Fan 2000

i dont care much for Slayer but South of Heaven is a great album, i think because the guitars a little lazier and more phoned in than they should be it gives it a chunky and pleasantly generic hard rock feel that appeals to me in contrast with the evvvvviiillllll they're going for in the rest of it. got a touch of Powerage to it

iamcoop

How about the big phwoar and it's just Dave Mustaine soaping up his tits

idunnosomename

AND MY BALLBEARINSMELTFROMDAHEAT!!!!

OH YEAH YEAH!!!

Goldentony

Battery with Dave Lombardo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96nV-x3jfLg

something very funny about this by the time they get to around 1:15 and the instruments have kicked in, it's like a scooter taking off too fast and James singing has to catch up, 3:40 is the peak

kngen

I've only met one person who thought Mechanix was better than The Four Horsemen and he died of a heroin overdose. Makes you think ...

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Goldentony on February 26, 2024, 08:59:43 PMBattery with Dave Lombardo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96nV-x3jfLg

something very funny about this by the time they get to around 1:15 and the instruments have kicked in, it's like a scooter taking off too fast and James singing has to catch up, 3:40 is the peak

That is fucking extraordinary, don't think I've ever watched it properly before. Seems to be half broadcast footage and half fan-shot?

hermitical

Quote from: kngen on February 26, 2024, 09:29:32 PMI've only met one person who thought Mechanix was better than The Four Horsemen and he died of a heroin overdose. Makes you think ...

Well, I'm not dead yet.

hermitical

The Megadeth demo version is great as well

idunnosomename

i'm glad we have both. a turbo horny car sex version and a slower version with two more riffs that doesnt really know what the four horsemen of the apocalypse are. or what pestilence is. where the fuck they got "Time" from I have no idea.