Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:45:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 4

Started by Ambient Sheep, June 04, 2020, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanjam

Quote from: Malcy on July 23, 2020, 01:24:23 PM
Trailer for The Power Of The Daleks SE.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fv36UuCkUtg&t

The while since I saw the story so don't know if it looks any better or not.

Either way, I ain't buying it again.

[edited to include quote; new page rage]

mjwilson

Remember when trailers came out before the thing they were promoting?

daf

They need to do a split-screen comparison video - this looks exactly the same to me, except Pat is now wearing a different pair of trousers.

Norton Canes

Wish they'd let the people who did the Mission To The Unknown remake loose on this.

daf

There's still the Season 4 blu ray set to come of course * - so they could always do something for that as an extra.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* not announced yet - just that they are planning to do all 27 seasons . . . that's right, Pancho - I said 27 - Paul McGann's going to have his own chuffing box!)

JamesTC

Quote from: daf on July 23, 2020, 06:55:51 PM
They need to do a split-screen comparison video - this looks exactly the same to me, except Pat is now wearing a different pair of trousers.

The majority of the changes are more about making characters more expressive, it seems. The original animation, as good as it was, was very stilted.

daf

Power of the Daleks split-screen comparison :

https://vimeo.com/442353545

(<--left 2016  |  2020 right-->)

Deanjam

Quote from: daf on July 28, 2020, 02:32:07 PM
Power of the Daleks split-screen comparison :

https://vimeo.com/442353545

(<--left 2016  |  2020 right-->)

I preferred the animation on the left. Aside from adding fog that makes the animation less clear, is there any real difference?

JamesTC

I watched the recon as I've seen the animation several times already. Very good recon though I can't help but wonder if some of those AI powered that people like Clayton Hickman are using to restore old Who pictures could be used to improve the look of the telesnaps to a better standard. Just a thought rather than a criticism.

I actually wondered watching it if I prefer recons or animation. There were moments where I genuinely felt like I was watching it which never happens on the animation. Either way it doesn't matter as thankfully these releases give you the opportunity to watch both in rotations which always makes the story feel fresh. Hopefully recons remain a standard even with the Season 1-6 releases.

The new documentary is rather impressive as I think it was largely made in lockdown. The other odds and sods on Disc 3 are great too. Whicker's World was particularly enjoyable.

olliebean

The animation on the right seems slightly smoother. Also the Doctor is wearing different trousers for some reason.

JamesTC

Quote from: olliebean on July 28, 2020, 05:04:49 PM
The animation on the right seems slightly smoother. Also the Doctor is wearing different trousers for some reason.

Tartan is incredibly difficult to animate so they've made his trousers plain in order to animate more movement in his legs.

Malcy

Lytton is getting a comic spin-off.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/room5064/lytton-a-comic-mini-series-by-doctor-whos-eric-saward/rewards

First issue is out soon. Be good to get a Sabalom Glitz one next!

Bad Ambassador

Info released for the animated Fury from the Deep, out on 14 September.

Animation by a new animation house, produced by Gary Russell.
Extras to include a commentary, making of documentary, all surviving footage, animation feature, archive interviews with writer Victor Pemberton and visual effects designer Peter Day, teaser trailer, photo gallery, PDF scripts and The Slide - a 1965 radio series based on an earlier version of the script, starring Roger Delgado.

https://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2020/08/03/fury-from-the-deep-animation-to-be-released-on-dvd-blu-ray-and-steelbook-in-september-2020/

daf

Cheers - I was wondering what had happened to this.

The Standard cover is quite nice this time, but as I started collecting the steelbooks, I'm sticking with them (curse you OCD!)

JamesTC

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on August 03, 2020, 01:30:27 PM
Info released for the animated Fury from the Deep, out on 14 September.

Animation by a new animation house, produced by Gary Russell.
Extras to include a commentary, making of documentary, all surviving footage, animation feature, archive interviews with writer Victor Pemberton and visual effects designer Peter Day, teaser trailer, photo gallery, PDF scripts and The Slide - a 1965 radio series based on an earlier version of the script, starring Roger Delgado.

https://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2020/08/03/fury-from-the-deep-animation-to-be-released-on-dvd-blu-ray-and-steelbook-in-september-2020/

It has been confirmed that this one does have proper Production Subtitles too unlike the previous animations. Really stuffed with extras.

Malcy

Was watching a sealed Series 14 Blu Ray boxset on eBay. Went for £50 which I thought was quite reasonable considering what I've seen people pay in the past. Seller has another one for sale as well if anyone has been trying to get one at a half decent price.

Malcy

frajer

Quote from: Malcy on August 28, 2020, 08:09:31 AM
Evil Of The Daleks & The Abominable Snowmen getting animated releases in 2021.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-08-27/doctor-who-lost-episode-animation/

Excellent news. Two cracking Troughton stories, yes please!

Reading that reminded me Evil of the Daleks was intended to be their last appearance. Blimey, can you imagine. I still like that they had a good old rest before Day of the Daleks.

mjwilson

At the moment it's just based on a report from The Mirror.

Deanjam

daf

Malcy

Quote from: daf on September 10, 2020, 05:59:14 PM
Fury from the Deep

Trailer  |  Unboxing

The unboxing video came up on my YT the other day so went to buy it and saw it wasn't out yet. Faceless Ones is down to £11 for Blu-Ray on Amazon. I really don't understand the point of Unboxing videos or how they get so many views!

daf

Quote from: Malcy on September 10, 2020, 06:26:47 PM
I really don't understand the point of Unboxing videos or how they get so many views!

It's quite nice to see the item in 'real life' rather than as a photo - so you know what you're getting -

e.g I spent ages looking for an unboxing of the re-packaged Peep Show season 1-9 DVD set, to check it wasn't a shelf-hogger with 9 DVD cases stuffed in a box. I didn't actually find one, so I had to risk it - but turned out fine (if anyone's interested) as the box is barely an inch wide - result!

JamesTC

Fury is getting great reviews. More so than any previous animation.

Hoping for an early delivery tomorrow.

JamesTC

Just finished Fury from the Deep. Rather good it was too. I don't personally think the story itself is one of the very best as some seem to but still a great atmospheric tale.

Difficult to judge certain elements as I know the story had a certain scale to it when originally made which, production wise, put it above the rest of the season. The animation seemingly adds to the scale which makes it difficult to see the original story within the animation. One to revisit with the recon in a year or two.

The animation looks wonderful. My only criticism is the monkey arms which occasionally look rather silly.

Hoping that the rumour of Evil\Abominable is true and this team have moved right on to Abominable.

pigamus

Well its reputation is partly down to people who saw it in the sixties and partly the novel, which is usually rated the best Target book ever. And from what you can see of Mr Oak and Mr Quill they do look pretty shit scary. Like you say, very hard to judge without the pictures!

Alberon

Yay! Production subtitles are back!

purlieu

After a break to go through a handful of "literary" novels as well as some Tolkien and The Dark Tower, I'm back on the VNAs again now. It's quite nice to read something as simple and pulpy as these again, actually. So I'll be back in a couple of days with my thoughts on Theatre of War. Stay tuned.

Malcy

Watched Fury From The Deep. Thought it was only alright. Wasn't too keen on the animation. It just looked really budget at times in terms of movement. There were points where you could hear people shuffling around but all the characters were still. Lots of instances of long shots of people just looking at each other. I felt they could have added a bit more movement to break the monotony.

Story was good enough. Sad goodbye to Victoria at the end. The original audio for the story must have been really bad at parts as the cleaned up audio was still a bit difficult to understand at times. Think I'll be watching the recons when i do a full Who rewatch next year. Only cost me £4 on Blu-Ray delivered due to various money off Amazon vouchers I had so that was good.

Can't remember what the next release is.

Deanjam

Matthew Sweet just tweeted out that they're back in production on the bluray extras. So hopefully some news of future releases won't be far away