Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:01:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 2021: well done, he's 13

Started by sevendaughters, January 09, 2021, 04:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Look, the lads know there's a project here and we're a work in progress, I had my eyes open from Day 1

DrGreggles

Project Chelsea:
1. Spend loads of money
2. ?

chveik

Quote from: Mobius on January 19, 2021, 09:08:24 PM
Wonder if Chelsea will chuck Lampard today. 2 nil down at half time.

the better team is winning, nothing to be embarrassed about

rue the polywhirl

Need to give Frank more time. They've spent a lot of money and they need more time to gel.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: finnquark on January 19, 2021, 09:47:06 AM
National League now telling clubs that the money agreed as a condition for restarting the season will be available in loans, rather than grants as previously understood. So part-time clubs, with no income from gate money, are supposed to load themselves with debt to complete a zombie season. 25 people, some having worked outside their home all week, expected to hop on a bus and drive the length of the country, with absolutely zero testing. It was always comforting knowing that top level football was the business, and the lower down you went the more rooted in reality things became. Non-league without fans is totally redundant, but I guess this is the issue with having a league including Alty and Notts County - they bought players in from Holland and Israel trying to win promotion, so I would imagine they could be fucked without getting back up. It's all so sad.

It's rubbish, isn't it? So many clubs lied to and completely fucked over and hardly anyone gives even the slightest shit. Is there anything the clubs can do apart from the usual pressuring of MPs etc?

Chedney Honks

Mad that this is the most exciting shit season ever. It's just not the same without fans and I think the fans are all dickheads. It's more that it doesn't mean as much to the players in the moment so I would argue that it's not truly elite football in the upper echelons. It's more like an exhibition tournament played during the last few weeks of the off-season. If Everton go on a run, there's every chance they could win the league from this position, but it would mean very little, same as Liverpool last year. The motions would continue, bit of pomp and ceremony and etch it on the trophy and all that but deep down, just like Liverpool fans last year, you'd know it didn't really count and didn't mean what it normally would. I actually feel for Liverpool that they peaked exactly at the moment that footballing success was completely invalidated by circumstance. Feels like the end of the brief era for them, as well. Salah's got his problems off the pitch. Man's head turned every which way. Dijk still not able to walk properly never mind make physical contact. The magic was there but it's definitely gone. A lot of my mates are Reds and a couple can't watch any more because they said it's like seeing Van Basten when his knees were gone. You're just waiting for the deathblow.

bgmnts

I don't think Van Dijk being hardly able to walk has much to do with the current state of football and more to do with Everton being one of the nastiest group of bastards going.

Hopefully Pickford gets AIDS or something, to balance things aout.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Chedney Honks on January 20, 2021, 07:01:32 AM
Mad that this is the most exciting shit season ever. It's just not the same without fans and I think the fans are all dickheads. It's more that it doesn't mean as much to the players in the moment so I would argue that it's not truly elite football in the upper echelons. It's more like an exhibition tournament played during the last few weeks of the off-season. If Everton go on a run, there's every chance they could win the league from this position, but it would mean very little, same as Liverpool last year. The motions would continue, bit of pomp and ceremony and etch it on the trophy and all that but deep down, just like Liverpool fans last year, you'd know it didn't really count and didn't mean what it normally would. I actually feel for Liverpool that they peaked exactly at the moment that footballing success was completely invalidated by circumstance. Feels like the end of the brief era for them, as well. Salah's got his problems off the pitch. Man's head turned every which way. Dijk still not able to walk properly never mind make physical contact. The magic was there but it's definitely gone. A lot of my mates are Reds and a couple can't watch any more because they said it's like seeing Van Basten when his knees were gone. You're just waiting for the deathblow.

** in May.

biniput

Quote from: bgmnts on January 20, 2021, 09:18:08 AM
I don't think Van Dijk being hardly able to walk has much to do with the current state of football and more to do with Everton being one of the nastiest group of bastards going.

Hopefully Pickford gets AIDS or something, to balance things aout.

Not bitter are you?

bgmnts

Quote from: biniput on January 20, 2021, 04:06:20 PM
Not bitter are you?

I'm not an Everton fan no LOL.

I do, however, think that a blatant attempt to injure a player is mega cunty and the fact that there was no punishment is a bit mental.

I grew up watching the Merseyside derby in the late 90s and 00s and I always hated watching it, it was so nasty and shite.

phes

It was retribution for a slightly cunty challenge Van Dijk had made shortly before in that game. Pickford saw his chance and came out and battered him, and may well have fucked his career. Heard a commentator describe it the last time Pickford played as 'over enthusiastic'. Thankfully his England career will be done the second Henderson takes over from DeGea, likely before.

chveik

Chedney Honks

Football is a fast-paced contact sport for professionals.

chveik

Quote from: Chedney Honks on January 20, 2021, 04:55:17 PM
Football is a fast-paced contact sport for professionals.

this really isn't representative of your best work.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Chedney Honks on January 20, 2021, 07:01:32 AM

You're trying too hard, you need to let the bitterness flow naturally. Don't force it.

Utter Shit

Quote from: chveik on January 20, 2021, 04:47:59 PM
just watch the video, it's not too hard to find

I saw it at the time. It was a horrible 'tackle', and he should have been sent off (as Michael Oliver has since acknowledged). It was not deliberate. Obviously.

If you genuinely think that was deliberate, you don't understand football at all. It was a stupid, dangerous tackle made by a stupid, impulsive goalkeeper. It wasn't deliberate.

Pickford's just a jumped up thicko, he's not a have that you cunt player.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: chveik on January 20, 2021, 05:00:11 PM
this really isn't representative of your best work.

I have to say that I actually laughed after I posted it, so you might be too close to the bullseye for this one. Then again, as my wife says, the only person who enjoys my jokes more than her...is me.

Bernice

Kidding yourself if you think Van Dijk is still out because he banged his knee back in October 2020.

Chedney Honks

Lot of talk that it's a combination of PS5 launch and McDonald's now available for delivery via UberEats. Either way, guy looks like fucking Stay Puft. Heard he was seen on Smithdown with chicken in a basket under each arm and he spent £40k on FUT so far and counting.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Chedney Honks on January 20, 2021, 05:52:00 PM
Lot of talk that it's a combination of PS5 launch and McDonald's now available for delivery via UberEats. Either way, guy looks like fucking Stay Puft. Heard he was seen on Smithdown with chicken in a basket under each arm and he spent £40k on FUT so far and counting.

no surprise, the new Korean chicken place near Aldi is peng

finnquark

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on January 19, 2021, 11:13:05 PM
It's rubbish, isn't it? So many clubs lied to and completely fucked over and hardly anyone gives even the slightest shit. Is there anything the clubs can do apart from the usual pressuring of MPs etc?

Well it depends on what club you are, I think. Borehamwood, in Dowden's constituency, did the best out of the initial tranche of money, even though they have tiny gates. When the announcement on loans, not grants was made, they were signing a centre half from Solihull to an 18-month contract - money clearly isn't an issue for them.

The problem is so deep, but a lot of it stems from the way in which non-league football (or at least Steps 1 & 2) has characterised itself as 'elite', and not just in getting that definition so play could resume in June 2020. The proliferation of highlights on YouTube and TV, the role of social media in generating hype and the professionalisation of far too much of the league. The presence of professional teams in regional football, with gates struggling to hit 1,500, is farcical, and means the leagues aren't consistent. In our last season in the Conference North, the range of clubs went from York City to Leamington, and those two clubs absolutely cannot be treated in a uniform manner. It's a consequence of confected clubs like Salford, Fylde, Eastleigh et al. They push clubs with sustainable fan bases lower down the pyramid, those clubs remain professional, and begin to affect the nature of their new level.

There's a bit of a race to appear professional in the Conference, to the extent that our (excellent) social media output is rushing to make things seem more than they are - when players sign on short term trials, which happens frequently, they get built up in tweets and YouTube interviews and so on. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, but it creates a false perception of how 'elite' the leagues are. That led to fans demanding the leagues continue, especially because clubs are going above and beyond to live stream games. Mid-ranking Conference social media is cringeworthy at times, all fist-bump emojis and bits of training ground footage to get the engagement, whereas the reality is most teams have 'engaged' fans in pretty small numbers. But it's smoke and mirrors, and it helped get the league back going again. The reality of what that means, particularly with the current government, was subsided beneath the frothing hype machine of Eastleigh and Aldershot social media.

The obvious thing clubs can and should do is suspend the season, but I suspect loans will be taken and, down the line, clubs will fold. But some of them might finish 7th and make the absurdly elongated playoffs, so it's swings and roundabouts.

Edit: Predictably, older clubs with a history of struggling and scraping by want grants or an end to the season (Concord Rangers, fan-owned Chester), and the arrivistes (Gloucester) want to plough on to a pointless conclusion.

bgmnts

Every game in February televised, for anyone interested.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

LOVE TELLY

Looks like VAR made the right decision in the Villa game but it's given it must be a shit rule if it yields that outcome, where now for association football?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Why is Lennon still in a job? 13 wins from 22?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Real Madrid losing in extra time to ten men *checks* Alco *checks* yano

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Only 1 SPL club between 2nd and 12th has got more than 2 wins from the last 5.

Great league.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 20, 2021, 10:29:20 PM
Real Madrid losing in extra time to ten men *checks* Alco *checks* yano

Saw the result and assumed it would be the RM reserves or kids.
But Marcelo, Casemiro, Valverde, Isco, Vinicius and Vazquez all started, with Asensio, Benzema, Hazard and Kroos coming on.
And Alcoyano had a player sent off at 1-1!

Proper cup shock.