Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:13:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The George Lucas Talk Show

Started by dr_christian_troy, January 23, 2021, 09:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: From Wikipedia
The George Lucas Talk Show is an improvised cult talk show in New York City hosted by comedian Connor Ratliff, who appears as George Lucas, the creator of Star Wars, and he interviews real guests as themselves in a panel format. He is joined by sidekick Star Wars characters: initially Jar Jar Binks, played by comedian Shaun Diston; and in current shows, Watto, played by Griffin Newman. The show premiered in 2014, and was performed monthly live on stage at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre. The show is produced and booked by Patrick Cotnoir.

On May 4, 2020, after a brief hiatus due to the Coronavirus Pandemic, the show returned in an online format on the comedy network Planet Scum Live to host a more than 30 hour live stream in which Lucas, Watto, and Cotnoir (now acting as an on-air co-host), live from their own separate homes, watched every Star Wars movie in chronological order to raise money for the out of work employees of the UCB Theatre.

Since the Star Wars marathon fundraiser, The George Lucas Talk Show has continued a weekly four-hour Sunday evening broadcast which typically includes two guests for the show proper, and additional surprise guest appearances during the after show; once every month, the show hosts additional marathon fundraisers watching TV shows like Arli$$, 1600 Penn, Big Lake, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, Muppets Tonight, and On The Air. During the marathons, some of the cast and crew of the related series make guest appearances. Through these fundraising events, The George Lucas Talk Show has raised over $167,000 for various charities and organizations.

Has anyone else been watching this? It was recommend to me a while ago and I've now finally tucked in and am thoroughly enjoying it.

All previous episodes are on their YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH1XwfxXB--rl_Nqxvun8zQ

They stream a new episode live every Sunday via Planet Scum's Twitch channel, created by Chris Gethard - https://www.twitch.tv/planetscumlive/schedule

If you're not too sure where to start, I took a look at the episode guide for reference - the Marathon episodes are great fun, but my gateway was through the Andy Daly and Tom Scharpling episodes.

Connor is also the man behind the very enjoyable podcast series Dead Eyes, in which he investigates as to why Tom Hanks fired him from having a small role in Band Of Brothers, having been informed it was because he had "dead eyes".

If you're not a Star Wars fan, don't let this put you off - there's very little Star Wars chat (apart from the Star Wars marathon episodes of course) and some of the humour is drawn more from George Lucas as a person - as one example, there's several references to Norman Rockwell because as I discovered in one episode, Lucas and Spielberg did actually co-author a book about collection Norman Rockwell art.

It also helps that they're all big comedy history fans - there's usually the occasional insight with guests about SNL stories for example, and Griffin Newman (who is dressed is Watto) knows his onions when it comes to cinema knowledge too (he co-hosts the excellent podcast Blank Check). I also like how they will occasionally bring out unique anecdotes from their guests by going through their IMDB profile and asking about minor roles.

The community are a lovely bunch too - more often than not, "George" and co will suggest fan art and it's usually created within minutes to great effect.

Dusty Substance

Nice one, DCT.

Even though I've just got started and so a lot of the in-jokes have probably already gone over my head, these FAQs on IMDB made me laugh.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12661310/faq?ref_=tt_faq_sm

BritishHobo

Thanks for the links and information. I absolutely love Ratliff and the enthusiastic dedication he brings to everything he does, so I've been meaning to give this a try.

dr_christian_troy

Tonight they're doing their monthly marathon - I believe they are watching the Air Buddies films, raising money for the US version of the RSPCA. I've never seen a single one so I may very well watch along!

Dusty Substance

Any podcast/stream which starts to flag at the two hour mark and then the host decides to finish off with a watch-a-long of The Irishman is OK with me.

Absolutely loving TGLTS.

That JD is a prick though, right?

St_Eddie

Thank you for the recommendation, dr_christian_troy.  I'm thoroughly enjoying working my way through the Star Wars marathon watch alongs.  You give the best prescriptions, Dr. Troy M.D.

dr_christian_troy

I got a mention on the most recent After Show episode! See if you can find it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItI6oMwn_3A[nb]Just checked, it's about 45 mins in[/nb]

Connor has a lot of love for British comedy, and so it was no surprise when he revealed his original Spitting Image Ronald Reagan bendy puppet was rotting. I felt compelled to share a photo of my original rotting Micky Dolenz Spitting Image puppet...

bgmnts

Unless its Rich Evans in his Lucy's costume, not interested!

Dusty Substance

These have been so great.

Connor Ratliff is an extraordinary improviser. The best "Yes And"-er I've ever seen. The way he stays in costume* as Creator Of Star Wars George Lucas is astounding.

*Character, you dick.

dr_christian_troy

I'm currently checking out a podcast Connor did with friend J. D. Amato called 12 Hour Day - there's been 17 episodes so far between 2013 and 2019, and as you can imagine, each episode is 12 hours. I'm only on the first episode but it's really bloody lovely. Two friends walking around New York, going for lunch, discussing all sorts of things. I love field report recordings so this is an absolute treat.

Tonight's guests on the show are Bill Oakley and Heather Anne Campbell. While the marathon shows start at 8pm GMT, the standard shows (like tonight) start at 1am. I'm working at 9am on Monday, but staying up to see the show live on Twitch as it goes out is definitely worth it.

dr_christian_troy

Will anyone else be watching live tonight? 1am start with work for me in the morning, but I'm going to hold out for as long as I can. I want to be around for the After Show if possible.[nb]If I had been into the show sooner, there would have been times I would have woken up and it would still be going[/nb]

Retinend

I tried an episode of this. It started with some funny interactions between "Lucas" and his sidesick, Watto..., but then they started inviting their IRL friends onto the call. The Star Wars angle got quickly lost by the wayside and instead they slip into "networking mode", as if they were more concerned with bonding than putting on a show; exchanging their humblebrag stories about e.g. being at the Kids' Choice 2005 MTV Movie Awards ceremony standing alongside e.g. Academy Award nominee Holly Hunter and finding images of themselves at such parties for sale on Getty images. Like, oh my God!

To be fair, this is a problem with American radio-format stuff in general for me - the unapologetic networking-as-entertainment and rampant "insider chat" that our media culture normally tries to avoid... but even though it's a cultural difference, it didn't leave a good first impression on me.

Maybe it's partly the format's fault, too? The individual episode in question is literally 3.5 hours long - longer than the combined runtime of a typical British comedy series.

I feel as if they are made for someone to watch on one screen while playing video games on the other screen, all of these sorts of shows. I don't think it is a coincidence that the gamergate bros LOVE the Joe Rogan podcast - they can crank it on and be guaranteed 2-4 hours of uninterrupted chatter while they engage with their game. Back when my brother wanted to play the Gamecube after school in our family home we would make a compromise between my wish to watch TV and his wish to play his Gamecube. We used a split-screen function on the TV - watching two tiny 16:9 boxes on screen at once - TV and SCART respectively - and I didn't mind at all. It was relaxing to have a free choice of watching the game or watching the TV, and often I would ignore the actual TV image and just watch my brother playing Metroid Prime or whatever, while listening to the news. It's the reason I regularly watch "Games Done Quick" or "Let's Play"s today, even though I have not owned a videogame for over ten years.

I've seen two other shows in this format: "The Perfect Women" and "TruthPoint: Darkweb Rising" (both Adult Swim). I wanted to like both of them, and stuck with both them for a fair bit... but I ultimately had to give up on them because of how flabby they were, content-wise. As much as I liked the people, I always got the feeling that a lot of what they were saying was not intended for me to find as funny as they found themselves.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Retinend on February 08, 2021, 10:27:15 AM
I tried an episode of this. It started with some funny interactions between "Lucas" and his sidesick, Watto..., but then they started inviting their IRL friends onto the call. The Star Wars angle got quickly lost by the wayside and instead they slip into "networking mode", as if they were more concerned with bonding than putting on a show; exchanging their humblebrag stories about e.g. being at the Kids' Choice 2005 MTV Movie Awards ceremony standing alongside e.g. Academy Award nominee Holly Hunter and finding images of themselves at such parties for sale on Getty images. Like, oh my God!

To be fair, this is a problem with American radio-format stuff in general for me - the unapologetic networking-as-entertainment and rampant "insider chat" that our media culture normally tries to avoid... but even though it's a cultural difference, it didn't leave a good first impression on me.

Maybe it's partly the format's fault, too? The individual episode in question is literally 3.5 hours long - longer than the combined runtime of a typical British comedy series.

In fairness, that particular episode is Part 1 of a marathon show, in which they're watching all of the Air Buddies films for charity, and so the people they have on are associated with the films providing insight into their experiences too. I'm not sure this would have been a good episode to be introduced to the show.

The normal main shows are two hours with two guests, with an additional After Show available in a second part.

Retinend

What do you think is the best episode to watch as an introduction to the show?

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Retinend on February 08, 2021, 12:32:39 PM
What do you think is the best episode to watch as an introduction to the show?

I would say one of these episodes perhaps:

Episode XVI with D'Arcy Carden and Cameron Esposito
Episode X with Bill Corbett and Dana Schwartz
...the two above also include extremely chaotic After Shows, which descend into madness but are very enjoyable. The After Show with Jon Gabrus after Episode X in particular.

Episode III with Kevin Smith

Episode XVII with Scott Aukerman and Niccole Thurman

I think it helps to find one where you might be familiar with one or two of the guests as a good starting point. You'll find though that there's most likely going to be comedy or improv chat along the way, purely because Connor and Griffin are both UCB alumni (the live show was at the UCB in NY - the theatre closed soon after Covid, which lead to their first marathon watching all the Star Wars films to raise money for out-of-work employees), but also the guest are usually connected to the comedy improv world too.

A wee primer for reoccurring bits too:

Butter Boy / Butter Girl
The real George Lucas co-wrote a book about his Norman Rockwell, with his pal Steven Spielberg. Occasionally the trio will share their vast collection of (often creepy) Rockwell ephemera, specifically focusing a boy and a girl Rockwell drew demonstrating their love of butter.

Cuckold George
The real George Lucas has a glass stained roof in his library - the man who created it had an affair with George's wife, and arguably as a power-play, George kept the stained glass roof regardless.

Vlad
Early on they discovered a chap called Vlad who provided royalty-free music, and so once in a while they'll break into a dance to one of his songs, often saying "it's good to be Vlad".

George's appearances
There's the occasional reference to real George's appearances in films such as Hook and Beverly Hills Cop III, and shows like Just Shoot Me.

George's museum
The real George has a museum due to open in Los Angeles in the next couple of years. They occasionally discuss its unusual shape and consider what will go into the museum.

Bryson
Bryson occasionally appears in the After Show, who they assign to create various bumper graphics for segments of the show - these often end with an absurdly prolonged explosion.

Fan Art Challenge
The fans are notoriously quick at providing any fan art on request. They often ask the guests what they would like to see, and the fans more often than not deliver in record time.

IMDB / Wikipedia
The GLTS pages for IMDB and Wikipedia are often updated during the show, usually with absurd facts and quotes.

Patrick laughing at death
Patrick has a tendency to inexplicably laugh at any news of death.

Watto's snacks
Watto will often attempt to feast on a sandwich or meal throughout the show that is in some way connected to the guests of the week, usually of ridiculous proportions.

The Irishman +1
Occasionally, if an After Show is going long, they'll commit to making sure the episode is at least one minute longer than the film The Irishman.

Tom Scharpling
Occasionally, Tom is lurking in the chat and will often message the guys offering a donation to charity if they commit to doing something vaguely grueling. The precedent was set early on in Episode II when Scharpling paid for George and co to watch The Irishman in the After Show, having already watched a Spider-Man film.

There's a fair few more, but that should be a good starting point.

Fishfinger

I think the episode where they watch David Lynch's doomed sitcom On The Air (and George Lucas' Radioland Murders) is good value with some great guests, including Kimmy Robertson and Dana Ashbrook off of Twin Peaks.

dr_christian_troy

This After Show episode is gold. Fellow Planet Scum host Riley joins them alongside JD who decides to encourage a Star Wars trivia game. When Watto gets Tom Scharpling involved it's ridiculously funny. Riley's optimism, JD's uptight demeanour, Tom's hostility, Patrick's neutralism, George's disinterest and Watto fueling the whole thing - a perfect storm.

Retinend

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on February 08, 2021, 02:49:30 PMEpisode XVII with Scott Aukerman and Niccole Thurman

there's most likely going to be comedy or improv chat along the way, purely because Connor and Griffin are both UCB alumni

I love Aukerman so thanks for highlighting this one. Your primer on the in-jokes was fun to read and I look forward to spotting some of those in the wild, so to speak.

In the days of the early 2010s podcasting boom, I used to be really "up" on the whole LA improv comedy scene. Matt Besser, who I understand was a founder, was all over the Earwolf network on various podcasts. People I liked always fawned over him for his seniority in the improv comedy world, and he had a smugness of delivery that matched that admiration, but was always the least funny person in the room to my ears. Just a little digression, there.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on January 23, 2021, 09:15:59 PM
Connor is also the man behind the very enjoyable podcast series Dead Eyes, in which he investigates as to why Tom Hanks fired him from having a small role in Band Of Brothers, having been informed it was because he had "dead eyes".

I was intrigued to hear more of Connor Ratcliff, so I binge listened to six episodes of Dead Eyes last night and absolutely loved what I've heard so far. A really fascinating idea for a podcast. I find it especially interesting as I worked as background actor on Band Of Brothers so hearing all those stories of Hatfield aerodrome in the summer of 2000, has brought back a ton of memories.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Dusty Substance on February 09, 2021, 03:43:23 PM
I was intrigued to hear more of Connor Ratcliff, so I binge listened to six episodes of Dead Eyes last night and absolutely loved what I've heard so far. A really fascinating idea for a podcast. I find it especially interesting as I worked as background actor on Band Of Brothers so hearing all those stories of Hatfield aerodrome in the summer of 2000, has brought back a ton of memories.

Oh wow! You should email him, he may very well be interested into further insight as to what it was like on set.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on February 09, 2021, 03:53:51 PM
Oh wow! You should email him, he may very well be interested into further insight as to what it was like on set.

Once I've completely caught up on Dead Eyes (probably get the rest of them finished off today) I'll be sure to drop him an email! There are at least three moments that stand out from my experience on the set which I'm sure he'll be interested to hear.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Dusty Substance on February 09, 2021, 04:20:35 PM
Once I've completely caught up on Dead Eyes (probably get the rest of them finished off today) I'll be sure to drop him an email! There are at least three moments that stand out from my experience on the set which I'm sure he'll be interested to hear.

Sounds like a plan. I'm hoping to email him too at some point soon - I'm looking to interview him for an episode as part of a new run of Podpit episodes, although admittedly it's been very hard to get any guests at all at the moment sadly.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Griffin Newman has a podcast with film critic David Sims, Blank Check, about films made by directors who reached at some point of their career full confidence from the studios, and shot some weird stuff. The first episodes were naturally about the SW prequels, but they also took on M. Night Shyamalan. I've only listened to the episode about The Book of Henry, but I remember that Newman was really eviscerating it, mentioning a ton of details that I hadn't even noticed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blank_Check_with_Griffin_%26_David

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on February 11, 2021, 03:06:26 PM
Griffin Newman has a podcast with film critic David Sims, Blank Check, about films made by directors who reached at some point of their career full confidence from the studios, and shot some weird stuff. The first episodes were naturally about the SW prequels, but they also took on M. Night Shyamalan. I've only listened to the episode about The Book of Henry, but I remember that Newman was really eviscerating it, mentioning a ton of details that I hadn't even noticed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blank_Check_with_Griffin_%26_David

An excellent podcast! The Patreon is worth checking out too. Aside from a ton of bonus episodes, they have very recently a second part of a two-hour video episode where they go through the history of various film fanfare. Very interesting and informative.

dr_christian_troy

They've reached out for potential fan art for their charity event on 21st February, "Ford vs Febrrari" - in which they will be speaking with people who have worked with Harrison Ford in aid of Wings for Hope. This was my contribution:

Dusty Substance

DCT, were you by any chance watching this one when it went out live?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xczooPX3eQ

Watto makes a call at around the 16m mark but it's cut out and they put up some text saying it's a secret just for the live viewers. They allude to this mysterious call throughout the rest of the show and there's a lot of bleeping of names.

I won't lose any sleep over it but I'm intrigued to know what went on.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Dusty Substance on February 12, 2021, 06:08:38 PM
DCT, were you by any chance watching this one when it went out live?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xczooPX3eQ

Watto makes a call at around the 16m mark but it's cut out and they put up some text saying it's a secret just for the live viewers. They allude to this mysterious call throughout the rest of the show and there's a lot of bleeping of names.

I won't lose any sleep over it but I'm intrigued to know what went on.

All I can say is that it wasn't someone I would have known of had I not been told by someone who was there that night. Let's just say, I'm intrigued too!

Dusty Substance

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on February 12, 2021, 07:04:19 PM
All I can say is that it wasn't someone I would have known of had I not been told by someone who was there that night. Let's just say, I'm intrigued too!

Thank you! I like the mystery of it. Adds to the strange universe of TGLTS.

I'm currently watching the After Show for Episode XI and am very pleased to see the return of Electro. His first appearance had me doubled up with laughter.

The After Shows can be a slog, sometimes with nothing happening for a couple of minutes, but it's where the real gold of the show is.

dr_christian_troy

I've just received confirmation for an interview with at least one of the three hosts for a forthcoming podcast I'm recording! Very excited. I won't say who just yet but can say it will be involving a discussion regarding old-school talk shows, most likely a specific show. Also, I'm assisting with sourcing something for a potential marathon screening in future...

Dusty Substance

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on February 17, 2021, 05:08:17 PM
I've just received confirmation for an interview with at least one of the three hosts for a forthcoming podcast I'm recording! Very excited. I won't say who just yet but can say it will be involving a discussion regarding old-school talk shows, most likely a specific show. Also, I'm assisting with sourcing something for a potential marathon screening in future...

Fantastic news, DCT! Very much look forward to hearing the interview.

The marathon screening is also very intriguing.