Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:07:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast Thread II: You're MAI WAIF now

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2021, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_A

Starting a new thread as the old one's about to cross the hundred page threshold...

Sonny_Jim

I really wish he'd get more sponsorship, I'd totally put up with another 'Squarespace' advert/skit,  Both have been blinders so far.

frajer

Lorra lorra Buckles chatta

And long may it continue!

Ferris

Buckles' squarespace skit is a terrific bit of work.

Retinend

Black Squadron ASSEMBLE

First-page-posting this Adam and Joe Radio Archive: https://www.adamandjoearchive.org/

20GB of archive material for the uninitiated to chomp through, principally containing the Xfm- (2003-2006) and BBC6 Music (2007-2011) shows.

Drygate

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 05, 2021, 11:54:31 AM
Buckles' squarespace skit is a terrific bit of work.

I think the Todd Oddvoice one was my favourite.

Phil_A

Quote from: Retinend on March 05, 2021, 12:46:37 PM
Black Squadron ASSEMBLE

First-page-posting this Adam and Joe Radio Archive: https://www.adamandjoearchive.org/

20GB of archive material for the uninitiated to chomp through, principally containing the Xfm- (2003-2006) and BBC6 Music (2007-2011) shows.

I think the XFM archive has expanded since i last looked as well, there used to be around 50-odd shows up there and now it's more like 74! I think there still may be a few gaps but it's definitely an improvement on what was available previously.

Mobbd

Magnum Valentino

Are there handy links to individual podcast jingles/links anywhere? The egg one, and the one where he sings an in autotune about being frustrated (culminating in an autotuned aaaarrrgggh, which is maybe one of the funniest things I've ever heard) are two I'd love to hear again but I don't want to trawl through episodes looking for them.

popcorn

Apparently Buckles is going on the Tape Notes podcast to discuss how he makes his jingles.

Drygate

Sits in his massive shed/barn messing about on his gear?

I wonder how much he had to pay Torvill and Dean? Or does he just do a flat fee?

Phil_A

I was looking back at the start of the old thread earlier and there was some speculation as to if/when Glinner would turn up on the podcast.

It guess it could've been possible back then as he hadn't completely flipped over into gender critical monomania at that point, but you can imagine what a car crash it would be if it happened now.

TommyTurnips

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on March 05, 2021, 03:18:57 PM
Are there handy links to individual podcast jingles/links anywhere? The egg one, and the one where he sings an in autotune about being frustrated (culminating in an autotuned aaaarrrgggh, which is maybe one of the funniest things I've ever heard) are two I'd love to hear again but I don't want to trawl through episodes looking for them.

The Adam Buxton app has all the jingles.

idunnosomename

Adam could help him arrange You Turned Off Replies so I say go for it

Icehaven

I'm very behind on it so I'm only just up to the Morris ones, but if I never hear "LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE... LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE" again I won't be too sad. The current Squarespace one is the folky "... I said "forget it dickheads"..." one though, which currently still always makes me laugh.

markburgle

Quote from: icehaven on March 05, 2021, 10:16:36 PM
I'm very behind on it so I'm only just up to the Morris ones, but if I never hear "LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE... LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE" again I won't be too sad. The current Squarespace one is the folky "... I said "forget it dickheads"..." one though, which currently still always makes me laugh.

But have you liked and subscribed?

non capisco

My favourite advert he did was the one for Bulb energy sung completely in his "MMMMMY WIFE" robot voice. Completely agree with Magnum Valentino that the frustrated sounding autotune jingle is absolutely perfect.

idunnosomename

when did they coin the "MY WIFE" thing? was it XFM? it reminds me of when people would /not so casually/ mention their girlfriends on internet message boards c. early 2000s and it became a bit of a joke. or a MEME as we'd say now. because we live in an idiot future

VelourSpirit

I love it when Ambient Sheep does this in the Who threads so I thought it might be nice to have a list of A+J related threads on page 1. Let me know if you can think of any more!

The Adam Buxton Podcast Threads:
18/09/2015 - 05/03/2021: The Adam Buxton Podcast (the first 151 episodes)
The thread you're in now: The Adam Buxton Podcast Thread II: You're MAI WAIF now (a bold new post Torvill and Dean episode world)

The Adam and Joe Radio Shows:
01/03/2004 - 02/03/2004: Adam & Joe on XFM (XFM shows)
08/02/2005 - 28/02/2009: The Adam and Joe Thread (XFM and 6 Music shows)
28/02/2009 - 12/05/2010: Adam and Joe on BBC6 Music Discussion Thread (6 Music)
31/03/2010 - 05/01/2011: Adam Buxton's Mixtape [split topic] Adam Buxton's Big Mixtape series
01/03/2011 - 15/10/2012: Adam and Joe to return to 6 Music [split topic] (6 Music + slow realisation that there would be no more)
17/11/2012 - 09/07/2013: Adam Buxton - New 6Music Saturday Morning Show (Adam and Edith, Adam on Bowie, and some general A+J chat)

TV stuff:
09/03/2004 - 17/09/2005: Adam & Joe Show DVD DVD release and some general A+J chat
29/07/2005 - 27/08/2005: Adam And Joe's Comedy Chat Thread (A+J Show + Go Tokyo retrospective chat)
30/05/2009 - 03/06/2009: The Scum Also Rises - new Adam Buxton sitcom (talk of the pilot becoming a series which eventually became The Persuasionists)
13/01/2010 - 16/02/2010: The Persuasionists (discussion of the first and last series of The Persuasionists)
28/03/2012 - 30/03/2012: Adam Buxton's BUG - The TV Series (brief thread on BUG series)
30/01/2013 - 08/02/2013: Adam Buxton's MeeBOX BBC 3 Pilot on YouTube (2008 MeeBOX pilot uploaded to YouTube)
11/04/2012 - 29/12/2014: Adam Buxton's 'Bug' on Sky Atlantic (longer thread on BUG series)
09/09/2014 - 10/04/2015: Adam and Joe stuff (talk of obscure A+J stuff)
05/11/2014 - 07/11/2014: Adam Buxton Loves... Christmas on Sky Arts (one-off special) (Adam Buxton's Shed of Christmas)
17/12/2018 - 01/01/2019: What happened to Adam Buxton and Graham Linehan's sci-fi sitcom 'The Cloud'? (I hear you're a TERF now Glinner)

Joe's films:
04/04/2011: Attack the Block
27/01/2019: The Kid Who Would Be King

Misc:
21/02/2006: hunting for adam and joe (speculation on the identity of A+J forum user "a0d")
04/02/2015: Adam Buxton's 'BUG' at the BFI (watch online) (one-off BUG stream thing)
08/11/2015: Adam Buxton in Morrisons (mundane famous people sightings and some great tags)
18/12/2015: Nigel Buxton has died (rest in peace)
14/02/2016: "Spatchcock" (Spatchcock)
07/05/2016: Introducing someone to Adam & Joe's radio stuff (fun radio highlights for new listeners)
02/08/2019: on a plane with Adam Buxton (more Buckles stalking)
13/10/2019: Chris Morris on the Adam Buxton podcast (Chris Morris subforum thread on his Buckles podcast appearance)
03/04/2020: Fresh Adam and Joe content coming soon? (news about A+J recording a special podcast for Adam's audiobook)
03/12/2020: Adam and Joe and World of Wonder (and Jon Ronson's For the Love of) (The Adam and Joe Show on World of Wonder streaming thing)
24/12/2020: Adam and Joe Xmas radio/podcast eps (list/discussion of festive A+J audio)

popcorn

Quote from: TwinPeaks on March 06, 2021, 12:27:38 AM

The Adam Buxton Podcast Threads:
18/09/2015 - 05/03/2021: The Adam Buxton Podcast (the first 151 episodes)

Christ this has given me a wobbly nostalgia sensation. I'd just moved to the middle of nowhere in Japan when the first podcast ep came out, I can still remember stepping out of my weird flat and walking up a massive great hill listening to Adam and Louis debate stealing from hotel buffets, it was a bright shining morning and disgustingly humid. It's such a clear memory it feels less like yesterday and more like about 45 minutes ago.

idunnosomename

god back when you might expect a podcast (an mp3 file of people talking) to be tightly edited and not a million hours long. not like that though it doesnt matter CAST THE POD

Mobbd

Quote from: popcorn on March 06, 2021, 12:50:36 AM
I can still remember stepping out of my weird flat and walking up a massive great hill listening to Adam and Louis debate stealing from hotel buffets, it was a bright shining morning and disgustingly humid. It's such a clear memory

I do love the time machine capabilities of podcasts. I have lots of memories of where I was when I first listened to a particular pod. It really is evocative, isn't it?

non capisco

Waterloo Bridge will always be the place where I first heard the Bollockdog and Bummerdog stories on Chart Music. And despite its general reputation as the place where people keep getting murdered Betts Park near Penge will always be foremost in my mind as where I listened to the 'My Jambon Hell' episode of Athletico Mince and was 100% suckered into believing Bob was in a hotel room in Marseilles.

popcorn

Quote from: Mobbd on March 06, 2021, 12:22:06 PM
I do love the time machine capabilities of podcasts. I have lots of memories of where I was when I first listened to a particular pod. It really is evocative, isn't it?

Absolutely. I can skim through many of episodes of the Buxton podcast and other podcasts and picture exactly where I was when I was listening to them - walking over that bridge, hanging those socks up, stirring those veg, in the lift in the office. Amazing how they get under the skin.

sutin

I get that. I have very strong memories of listening to the first few RHLSTPs whilst sinking tins on a balcony in Athens, Greece whilst my partner was working. My very happy memories associated with getting into that particular podcast is probably why I still listen to every new one despite it annoying me.

Ferris

Strong sense memories of my beloved Whatever Happened to Pizza at McDonald's? going down King East in Toronto and considering whether I could get some shopping in my laptop bag (I did).

I have similar memories with music, but this post is already tediously esoteric.

phes

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 06, 2021, 02:44:50 PM
Strong sense memories of my beloved Whatever Happened to Pizza at McDonald's? going down King East in Toronto and considering whether I could get some shopping in my laptop bag (I did).

I have similar memories with music, but this post is already tediously esoteric.

I've tried to sell this to a few people but completely unsuccessfully. I always listen to it when I'm going to sleep and it regularly plays on for a few episodes before my timer turns it off, so I know that I've missed a bunch of it. Makes me happy knowing that I'll probably be able to listen to it again and still get plenty from it. I'm on about episode 85 at the moment and because of the way I listened to it I've honestly got little idea what's going on anymore. It just makes me so happy though!

Ferris

It's brilliant.[nb]MAI WAIF mentioned remembering McDonald's pizza out of the blue the other day. I was very excited.[/nb]

Some of the later arcs are very cleverly done - there's some bonus stuff coming up as part of a travel arc (won't say more) that I got for donating to the Kickstarter, PM me when you get there and I'll send the soundcloud link (if I can find it...)

Retinend

Quote from: popcorn on March 06, 2021, 12:50:36 AM
Christ this has given me a wobbly nostalgia sensation. I'd just moved to the middle of nowhere in Japan when the first podcast ep came out, I can still remember stepping out of my weird flat and walking up a massive great hill listening to Adam and Louis debate stealing from hotel buffets, it was a bright shining morning and disgustingly humid. It's such a clear memory it feels less like yesterday and more like about 45 minutes ago.

While we are being nostalgic, I was the person on the "speeding on the needlebliss" blog site recording and editing the 6Music episodes to remove the music. It seems to have disappeared from the internet.

popcorn

Your work was appreciated! Do you know why some episodes still had music in them, and some of them seemed to cut out in different ways (like some faded in/out, some just sliced out, etc)? Not bashing, just genuinely curious, I got the feeling different people had done them. I imagined a team of coordinated nerds serving the community.