Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:30:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Between The Lines

Started by Endicott, April 07, 2021, 01:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

I do feel with some of these episodes that they end the actual corruption story too soon, like with the officers fencing goods. There's loads of stuff about Clark's marriage and his affair which could be cut out so they don't end early.

The Customs episode was a bit confusing and meandered a bit.

I agree the garden party in the middle of the Liverpool scene is totally superfluous. I think Pearson is good in this but was given far too much irrelevant non-police stuff which made it a bit soapy.

gilbertharding

There was a hilarious scene in the one with Keith Allen in it, where Clarke's girlfriend and matey out of Soldier Soldier met for a drink in the beer garden of a pub sat at one of those tables where the SKOL umbrella with the fringe pokes through a hole in the middle and they (and the two extras who walk past the establishing pan shot) are studiously ignoring the fact that it's pissing hard with rain.

QuoteLook, loves, the script says the scene is outdoors, and we simply don't have time to wait for it to stop raining.

We all know that those umbrellas don't work - unless you drop the parasol right down to head level, and the only reason anyone would do that is if they couldn't go and sit in the pub itself because they were (for instance) smoking a doobie.

Norton Canes

Ha, there's definitely a thread in 'Outdoor scenes in UK dramas where the actors are studiously ignoring the fact that the weather is shit'.

gilbertharding

There was a fair amount of superfluous rain in the last two episodes too - although it was at least acknowledged by the characters.

Now, I only dabble in suicide ideation, but
Spoiler alert
I would definitely put 'jumping off the stern of a very crowded pleasure boat in broad daylight' very far down the list of methods. I mean, I might drown, if I couldn't swim, or the water was extremely cold, and no-one (not, for instance, the barmaid who'd served me endless gin and tonics even though I was clearly, incongruously, very unhappy) saw me go in... but I'd have said it was next to impossible to be chopped by the propeller of the boat I'd just vacated.
[close]

But, such is television.

Shame it looks as if they're not going to re-run any more of these.

Dirty Tache Stephen Moore was the highlight in the last double header, I think.

Norton Canes

Quote from: gilbertharding on May 05, 2021, 03:22:46 PM
Shame it looks as if they're not going to re-run any more of these

Yeah just season one, it turns out. Not like anyone was actually invested in this outside of Line of Duty huh.

gilbertharding

Also love everyone using public payphones to make extremely involved private phone calls. Not ones in boxes, either - ones in the corners of noisy bars.

I'm old enough to remember those days, and I can tell you - it just wasn't done.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 05, 2021, 03:29:09 PM
Yeah just season one, it turns out. Not like anyone was actually invested in this outside of Line of Duty huh.
Disappointing, there are some very good episodes in Series 2.

Series 3 seems to be a load of plops from the 2 episodes I watched.

gilbertharding

I didn't really watch it properly at the time, but was there a scene where Tony Clark had full sex with a lady while actually driving his Saab on the motorway? Which series was that?

Fambo Number Mive

I dont remember that. Must have been in Series 3. Clark does seem to be thinking with his knob half the time.

Watching Ep 13 of Series 1. Good to see Clark wearing a jacket with a big A on it in tribute to Anus Cop.

gilbertharding

Quote from: gilbertharding on May 05, 2021, 03:52:14 PM
I didn't really watch it properly at the time, but was there a scene where Tony Clark had full sex with a lady while actually driving his Saab on the motorway? Which series was that?

I only remember that from Points of View.

paruses

The only bit I remember from this first time around was Harry getting demoted. I remember it built up a bit and thought it was the beginning of a series which would mean it happens in the one I've got left or I misremembered - reading wiki they all work for mi5 in s3.

Real shame they're not showing more just because Line of Duty has finished .

Norton Canes

Bit slow on these but I watched episode 7 last night, the one where an investigation into the beating of a strike protestor rather inconveniently interferes with Tony's endless shagging.

Fambo Number Mive

Do you think we could start a campaign to get them to show series 2 (which has some very good episodes, but NOT three? Not sure if the BBC would listen though.

itsfredtitmus

Have all seasons on DVDs I got for a tenner from a charity shop. I'll cashout when their price reaches in the 100s

Nowhere as good as Cracker but it deals with social stuff a lot better if I remember (anyone seen the black man rapist episode of Cracker where McGovern tries to apply the 'you think I am: I am" rule like he did with the scouse episode?)

itsfredtitmus

Thought the scene in the 1st episode where they get raided and it's the wrong flat truly shocking

paruses

Watched the last episode last night. Incredible scenes aboard HMS Belfast with the school children. I laughed heartily.

Would happily join a campaign to get S2 shown. How do we do that these days? Is it all Twitter and Facebook?

Fambo Number Mive

Not really sure. Petition and us all emailing the BBC?

Does Points of View still exist?

Norton Canes

Oh, fantastic. Last night I watched the first episode of last-ever classic-era Doctor Who story Survival, featuring a really nice cameo (sorry) from Kate Eaton as charity tin-rattling Ange. I thought, she's really good, I wonder if she did anything else. And tonight I watch episode eight of the first series of Between the Lines and there she is, putting in an equally good turn as P.C. Foley.

Norton Canes

Phew, just managed to catch episode 11 (the one with the police cell suicide) before it dropped off the iPlayer. Really good, and includes one of the best lines in the series, especially after 11 episodes of watching Neil Pearson's arse surging under the bedsheets - Clarke's reply to Commander Huxtable's offer to set up him up in co-habitation with Jenny Dean is "I think this entire department has been set up to monitor my personal life", to which Commander Huxtable retorts "Well frankly Tony that's not something that requires a great deal of investigative effort". A long laugh after that one.

And Pearson has some horrendously shaped chest hair.

paruses

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 25, 2021, 10:56:04 PM
And Pearson has some horrendously shaped chest hair.

He (or arguably the character Tony) is a really noisy kisser. I don't know if it is a bit of misophonia on my part but I had to cover my ears when some of the sexing was happening.

Fambo Number Mive

Spoiler alert
The second series can be found on a site that rhymes with MooDube
[close]

"Neil, can you try that kissing a little bit louder?"

Norton Canes

Quote from: paruses on May 26, 2021, 11:04:42 PM
He (or arguably the character Tony) is a really noisy kisser

Yes! If I haven't mentioned it so far, I've meant to.

One episode from the end now. Thankfully there's no
Spoiler alert
Jenny Dean
[close]
in the finale (at least I presume not), her constant whingy grimace was really annoying.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 31, 2021, 08:21:50 PM
Yes! If I haven't mentioned it so far, I've meant to.

One episode from the end now. Thankfully there's no
Spoiler alert
Jenny Dean
[close]
in the finale (at least I presume not), her constant whingy grimace was really annoying.

What did you think of her
Spoiler alert
chosen suicide method
[close]
?

Norton Canes

No guarantee of the desired outcome, if it was premeditated. Even if she was thinking about jumping, I reckon with several gins inside her she might have just toppled in. 

paruses

Yes I wondered how deliberate it might have been.

Would be interested to know what you think of the action packed denouement.
Spoiler alert
Then we can mock it together
[close]

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

You know, I havenae seen that episode since it was first broadcast, but I still remember that scene from dead police lady's funeral, where are Tony approaches dplc's dad,  trying to have loads of gravitas and be all sombre, introducing himself and all that, and the unimpressed dad says ( and I believe I'm quoting this verbatim) " Yeah, I 'eard....you were giving her one. Thanks a lot.", and poor old Tony looks all deflated.
It's funny the things that stick in your mind, eh?

Norton Canes

Ooh, just managed to sneak in the last episode (sorry, the season finale) last night before it dropped off the iPlayer.

Good to know it isn't just Russell T. Davies who thinks it's exciting to have a climactic scene where the hero is attacked by a villain driving a very small forklift (was that in Borough market before it became a hipster foodie haven?). At least it kept Neil Pearson away from the Denning interview scenes, which were frankly much better for his absence. In another Doctor Who tradition, Bernard Horsfall turns up at the end of an epic storyline as part of a trio to try the antagonist. Except aaah he isn't the antagonist, it's weasely Deakin trying to push his weight around, didn't expect that did you! No, because it's a ridiculous twist - but I suppose it was at least in keeping with the series' mantra that it's often the smallest players causing the biggest problems. Anyway it's off to HMS Belfast for an action-packed denouement, except the only action is Clarke thumping Deakin in the midriff once he's been caught.

By far the best scene of the episode was the closing part where Naylor and Connell swiftly head off to resume their social lives leaving Clarke to becry his solitary fate as his ex wife and her new partner waltz happily past in the rain. Oh, Tony. Sort your life out.

Structurally I thought the biggest problem with the series was that the Carswell case appeared a couple of episodes in as what looked like another one-off story, then wasn't mentioned for a few episodes, then came back to prominence in the final few instalments once we'd forgotten most of the details. If only they knew about story arcs in those days, eh.   

Norton Canes

We could do with Tony Clark around while this Dalian Atkinson murdering cunt is on trial.