Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:08:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The best comb over.

Started by darby o chill, May 17, 2021, 11:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Norse

Quote from: seepage on May 18, 2021, 07:38:22 AM
Not a comb over, but a bloke at work used to wear what looked like a Christmas cracker hat made of hair. Which sort of worked if you were shorter than him and not behind him on a descending escalator.

Reminds me of the bizarre style attempted by former Hammarby/Championship Manager legend Kennedy Bakircioglu: a combover is too obvious, but what if you spike up the few strands of hair you have left on your pate?

Also found this picture of him from his time playing in Holland, when he seems to have tried to hide the beginnings of baldness by bleaching his thinning rug:

An tSaoi

It's an obvious choice, but Trump's hair is still as fascinating as it always was. We've seen it from all angles, every day for four years or more, and I still can't work it out. I've even seen diagrams with arrows, and it remains a puzzle.

imitationleather

Blue Jam

The award for Most Combovers On A Single Head goes to...

Quote from: seepage on May 18, 2021, 07:38:22 AM
Not a comb over, but a bloke at work used to wear what looked like a Christmas cracker hat made of hair. Which sort of worked if you were shorter than him and not behind him on a descending escalator.

Hahahaha... I think that's what The Juddernaught has got going on here. It sort of works unless you're watching him bow his head down under the harsh lights of a snooker table.

Blue Jam

Of course, in the pantheon of snooker combovers no-one will ever top this man. Not even a shed full of alien tech could cure the condition of having but a scant seven strands to comb across:

Meanwhile Ali Carter is having a good go with his Jimmy McGill-style proto-combover. Should be the full Saul Goodman by 2026:

Come back Biggy, this is your job

studpuppet

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 18, 2021, 07:41:49 AM

Ralph Coates, aged 28.

Coates had it going on when he was younger than 28:

Blue Jam

Quote from: An tSaoi on May 18, 2021, 10:17:13 AM
It's an obvious choice, but Trump's hair is still as fascinating as it always was. We've seen it from all angles, every day for four years or more, and I still can't work it out. I've even seen diagrams with arrows, and it remains a puzzle.

If you mean Donald rather than Judd, then yes, I know exactly what you mean. Apparently it's a combination of scalp-reduction surgery, with the hair surrounding the reduced bald patch then combed together, then combed forward into a quiff, then folded back on itself. I know this but do I understand it? No:

https://youtu.be/kIGcosb22_Y

The Culture Bunker

If we're talking footballers who went with the comb-over look, former Chelsea man John Dempsey takes some beating:

Around his mid 20s at the time the pic was taken, I reckon.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Jittlebags

Frank Bough sporting a high level job.

Glebe

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 18, 2021, 06:13:24 AM

"Ere Clive, look at this geezer's bonce"

"Fackin' bald cunt"

I was gonna do one with Fry-Up Guy, great minds etc.

Blue Jam

I concede that football trumps* snooker in the combover stakes. Funny when snooker is a relatively sedate game played in the still dry air of an indoor arena while football requires the players to run around and work up a sweat, often in rain and high winds:

*sorry

Some cracking 'dos' so far. Nowadays, at the first signs of a receding hairline everyone seems to opt for the pre-emptive strike of a number 1 all over or the full head shave and we've ended up with a country full of Phil Mitchells.

I miss the days when men would valiantly try to disguise their baldness with a bit of creative comb work, Brylcreem and, for the adventurous, Cossack hairspray (for men).

The Culture Bunker

If you watch footage of Man United from that era, it's always amusing when Bobby Charlton gives the stray strands a quick sweep-back atop before taking a corner.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: bgmnts on May 18, 2021, 12:30:37 AM
Bobby Charlton is the obvious one because his combover would try to leave his head during sweaty football matches. The OP's effort is amazing though.

Head like the Dairy Milk logo.

poodlefaker

The gelled spikes have replaced the combover, as others have noted, the don being pottery-blubber big Keith Brymer-Jones

steve98

Pete Seeger (the unofficial Saint of comb-overs,) leadin' the students singin' We Shall Over-Comb. Vermont '62.

darby o chill

Some excellent 'dos today!
And nice to see convicted sex offender Brian Peppers enjoying himself on the left in that Seeger picture.

I've been trying to pin down exactly when Sir Clive began sporting that 'look'.

1980 - Nope, just a regular slaphead with a neat back comb visible.

1982 - we see the first signs of the horrors to come.

But by 1984 the combover has mysteriously vanished into a much more streamlined affair.

So I'm thinking 1983. Bonus angle:

shiftwork2

Much rather see a valiant comb over attempt than a 90s pre-emptive strike Grant Mitchell.  Well done comb over lads

darby o chill

Quote from: Jittlebags on May 18, 2021, 02:21:49 PM
Frank Bough sporting a high level job.

Lots going on here. Bit of classic Clive but a new twist.

Quote from: thecuriousorange on May 18, 2021, 11:14:06 PM

A rare modernish one.

Need more angles on this. Scalp area?

Ferris

Quote from: thecuriousorange on May 18, 2021, 11:14:06 PM

A rare modernish one.

Become a landfill indie hero in an era of trilby hats. Textbook.

Played a show with them and have literally no memory of it so add that one to your shit anecdote copybooks, lads.

darby o chill

I don't know who he is - his face is giving me anxiety. Tell me more about the show, did you see any backstage comb over activity?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I used to think that the mullet was the hairstyle of the Gods, but now I believe it may be the comb over. It's beautiful, man.

darby o chill

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 18, 2021, 12:16:13 AM
Always admired the Robert Robinson

This is very strong. The sadness in the eyes. The slickness of the slap. And the rare tidy flourish on the hairless side. 9/10

Cold Meat Platter

A teacher at school called Chisholm (I SAID CHISHOLM) earned the name Windywig due to his hair's performance at rugby practice on windy days, when the zephyr afforded his combover a snaking, jaunty dance that we all loved. He was often spotted with a pot of 80s neon blue hair gel in a strong breeze trying to 'batten down the hatches' as it were.

Dex Sawash

Keebleman

Clive James, reviewing Superstars in 1979.

QuoteAmong the few great heroes of sporting legend of all time that I could actually recognise was Bobby Charlton, whose baldy hairstyle is hard to miss. For years now, as one chrome-dome to another, I have been trying to reach Bobby through this column in order to tell him that his cover-up can only work in conditions of complete immobility. If he took up Zen finger-wrestling there might be some chance of retaining his carefully deployed strands in place. But in a 100-yard dash against the Gentle Giant and the Blond Bomber the whole elaborate tonsorial concoction was simply bound to fall apart.

Bobby won the race, arriving at the finishing line with his hairstyle streaming behind his skull like the tail of an undernourished comet. Seemingly without pausing for breath, Bobby went straight into the mandatory victor's interview with David Vine. It was notable, however, that his coiffure had magically been restored to position — i.e., it was back on top of his head.