Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:59:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Final FUCKDOWN

Started by Chedney Honks, May 31, 2021, 11:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have we got one more to go before the end of 2021?

Yes.
94 (66.7%)
No.
36 (25.5%)
Young people probably spread it in the first place so prepare to meet thy doom 😂😂😂
11 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 141

Chedney Honks

It does seem to be picking up again, science guys are saying kick the can down the road another few weeks, just let's make sure this time and Boris is saying full steam ahead to the morgue as long as the coffers are full!

Do you think there'll be another lockdown before the end of 2021?

BlodwynPig

You're all over the place. Yesterday you were crowing that it was all over? At least Shoulder's is consistent and follows the data, even if I don't like his style.

Chedney Honks

It's all over for me, yeah.

Just making conversation.

Pinball

Judging by the crowds this weekend, and at sporting events, shops, everywhere, I think we'll know pretty clearly if there's a 3rd wave in 2 weeks or so. I would speculate we are having a 3rd wave, but it will be a relatively small one. Once again, the UK was incapable of shutting its borders. The way it's going, this pandemic will never really end, just repeated smaller and smaller waves.

BlodwynPig

Ferguson and SPI-M predicted a 3rd wave in June, so its expected... prepared for... not so sure

bomb_dog

I'm surprised the pending 'wave' is considered the third. I'd have said the third happened soon after the Christmas relaxing as this is when the numbers skyrocketed up after a bit of a December tail-off.  Peak was 9th January by the looks of things, two weeks after Xmas.

If the argument is that the 2nd just went on for ages and didn't finish, the charts look very much like Christmas bad-decision relaxing got squarely in the way, causing the third, highest wave. If it's a case of poor planning and late decision making, we've had three of those now, and the mess about 'date not data' is now a fourth.

olliebean

There's a distinction between waves and peaks, I think, with the second wave having two peaks due to being inadequately suppressed by the too late and too short mini-lockdown we had in November.

Blinder Data

I think there WILL be another lockdown in the autumn/winter.  Probably not as severe as before but some restrictions will be reintroduced to stop the spread at some point. Cunts thinking it will all be over this year and lifting restrictions is a one way street (like the PM) are silly.

We'll just have to live like Canadians and hibernate during the cold months. It's fine.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Will be interested to see if they do keep stuff open if cases get high but bed numbers and deaths stay lowish (let's say below 2000 hospitalisations per day and below 80 deaths a day).

I don't really think people know what is going to happen.

BlodwynPig

Hope you're not one of those 80 per day, Shoulders. OR YOU'LL HAVE EGG ON YOUR FACE.

Thursday

Well I'VE had both doses, so I'll be fine. No possibility of anything going wrong for me. Maybe everyone not fully vaccinated should go back on lockdown. And old people just in case. Keep all the shops open for me, but don't allow most people to go. Very severe punishments for people that do.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Thursday on June 01, 2021, 08:38:47 AM
Well I'VE had both doses, so I'll be fine. No possibility of anything going wrong for me. Maybe everyone not fully vaccinated should go back on lockdown. And old people just in case. Keep all the shops open for me, but don't allow most people to go. Very severe punishments for people that do.

I can imagine you being driven round harrods in a gold buggy

olliebean

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 31, 2021, 11:07:57 PM
Will be interested to see if they do keep stuff open if cases get high but bed numbers and deaths stay lowish (let's say below 2000 hospitalisations per day and below 80 deaths a day).

I don't really think people know what is going to happen.

If hospitals aren't at risk of being overrun, I don't reckon there'll be another lockdown. It'll just be dismissed as being essentially the same as flu now. And if there's a problem next year with rising numbers of long Covid sufferers, that'll just be weaponised to further demonise benefit claimants as workshy scroungers and justify more welfare cuts.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Sociology arsewipe wades in

QuoteRobert Dingwall, professor of sociology at Nottingham Trent University, said "critics" who have suggested that the June 21 easing should be delayed "can't even agree on what delay they'd like".

He told Times Radio:

By the time we get to June 21, everybody who is in the nine priority groups or the highest risk will have had both jabs, and would have had a period of time to consolidate the immunity.

What are we going on with is really running into younger age groups who are intrinsically much lower risk. Many of the scientists who've been talking over the weekend simply haven't adjusted their expectations to understand that - (for these people) Covid is a mild illness in the community.

As the Director of Public Health Bolton was saying last week, the people who are going into hospital... it's not like January, these are not desperately ill people.

They're people who need a little bit of extra support with oxygen, they need access to the dexamethasone treatment, which is very effective.

They go in, stay in hospital for three or four days and they go out again. There is no realistic prospect of the NHS facing the sorts of pressures that it faced in January and February. And that's why I think we have to we have to push on with this.

If someone needs to be on a ventilator how are they not desperately ill?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Loved it when the interviewer went 'Who asked you? Who the fuck asked you, valve, void, froth, nothing, eh, professor fucking anomaly?'

.. was punching the air.

JamesTC

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 01, 2021, 01:16:19 PM
Loved it when the interviewer went 'Who asked you? Who the fuck asked you, valve, void, froth, nothing, eh, professor fucking anomaly?'

.. was punching the air.

"Nottingham fucking Trent! Give me a break. School of valves...bulbs...!!!"

Chedney Honks

🎶 wiv a lickle bit of vent, we can make it thru the night 🎶

buttgammon

Same bloke previously:

QuoteWe have this very strong message which has effectively terrorised the population into believing that this is a disease that is going to kill you. And mostly it isn't. Eighty per cent of the people who get this infection will never need to go near a hospital. The ones who do go to hospital because they are quite seriously ill most of them will come out alive – even those who go into intensive care. We have completely lost sight of that in the obsession with deaths, the human interest stories about deaths, the international comparisons about death rates, the opportunities for intrepid television journalists to put on lots of PPE and go into high tech where people are acutely ill. All of that helps to create this climate of fear...

When you think about it, you're actually very lucky to end up in intensive care with a disease that may cause serious permanent damage.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Should be blacklisted from mainstream media, stripped of his titles and fed lots of non-lethal poison.

Ferris

That is an astonishing quote:

QuoteEighty per cent of the people who get this infection will never need to go near a hospital. The ones who do go to hospital because they are quite seriously ill most of them will come out alive

I mean... fucking hell like.

"20% of people go to hospital with this and a lot of them (probably) won't even need a coffin" is a strange way of saying something isn't serious.

buttgammon

GB News have their science expert role sorted anyway.

Fambo Number Mive

Why interview a professor of sociology about such matters in the first place?

Zetetic

A professor of sociology seems quite a good person to interview about some of this stuff, but perhaps not this professor of sociology.

mobias

Your handy cut out and keep guide to all the current variants.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Throw him out of the sociology game! I Care not One Jot!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

0 deaths today, that's it lads, it's over, off to enjoy the new lockdown relaxations and sexually assault stray animals cheers

jobotic

Kent. Fucking Medway more like. Gills!