Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:05:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tokyo Olympics

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 28, 2021, 03:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

The chortling, hateful shitshow that is our Prime Minister appears to have offered a vote of confidence in the Olympics taking place in Tokyo as planned.

QuoteA Downing Street spokeswoman said: "The prime minister spoke to Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga this morning ahead of the UK's G7 summit next month.

"The prime minister expressed his support for the Tokyo Olympics, and noted Japan's efforts to ensure the games can take place safely."

If Johnson thinks something is a good idea, this usually means it is a bad idea. I assume this means that no matter how bad things get in Japan "Team GB" will be sent out there along with the UK media and elite to bring home as many varients as possible.

If I was the Japanese Prime Minister, I'd postpone the Games until 2022. There seems to be a lot of support for postponing the Olympic Games again in Japan.

Pinball

IMO it should be postponed again. Many countries are in the midst of this pandemic still, and it's inevitable that this superspreader event will cause deaths. The only question is how many? As this is a sports entertainment event, why should anyone have to die? The Japanese people certainly don't want this to go ahead. So much for democracy.

To be fair, nobody wanted London 2012 until we all saw the marvellous opening ceremony.

Wait until Emperor Naruhito skydives onto a 30ft high inflatable Naruto, they'll be fucking lapping it up.

Fambo Number Mive

I wonder if there will be missiles on people's homes for the Tokyo Olympics like there was for London 2012.

BlodwynPig

I still dont want London 2012

Butchers Blind

Just change the name to Covid Olympics 2021 and it will be fine.

idunnosomename

cato vs shredder celebrates japans global influence

pikachu leads a parade of pocky

an enormous vending machine dispenses ballerinas dressed as girls' panties

tasteful dance routine about the second sino-japanese war

George Oscar Bluth II

It's really one thing having the Euros, which is decentralised in a load of different countries and involves maybe 50 people from each country traveling about but the Olympics, 10,000 people coming from every country on earth converging in one place? In a pandemic? In a country that's not done much vaccination?

I'm not even sure who it's supposed to serve. It'll be a shit spectacle, the sport will be poor, everyone competing will be fucking miserable...a contractual obligation sporting event.

Old Thrashbarg

The Olympics does essentially operate within a bubble anyway, in normal circumstances, so in that regard it might be quite a natural fit for the protocols I assume they'll have in place. With the Euros it's unavoidable that people involved will be coming into contact with people who aren't involved and who aren't regulated by whatever protocols they have, but that shouldn't need to be the case for the Olympics. The Village can be completely self-contained, with no need for movement in or out for anyone other than the athletes, and once they're in they won't leave until their event has concluded.

Though I agree, without fans in the stadiums I don't know why they feel the need to hold them now. There'll be very little enjoyment for anyone involved.

George Oscar Bluth II

QuoteIn the strongest objections from inside the Olympic movement so far, Kaori Yamaguchi, an executive member of the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC), said Tokyo had been "cornered" into going ahead with the Games despite widespread public opposition, and warned they would leave a "bitter taste".

"We have been cornered into a situation where we cannot even stop now," Yamaguchi wrote in an editorial published by the Kyodo news agency on Friday. "We are damned if we do and damned if we don't."

The former judo world champion, who won a bronze medal at the 1988 Seoul Olympics, added: "What will these Olympics be for, and for whom? The Games have already lost meaning and are being held just for the sake of it. I believe we have already missed the opportunity to cancel."

She accused the IOC of ignoring legitimate concerns about safety. "The IOC seems to think that public opinion in Japan is not important," she wrote.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/04/tokyo-cornered-into-going-ahead-with-games-says-olympic-official

Yeah, she's saying that now, but I think she'll eat her words once she sees a 30 ft high chibi bullet train dressed up in sumo gear dancing around to Turning Japanese by The Vapors.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Pinball on May 28, 2021, 04:52:29 PM
IMO it should be postponed again.

IMO the Olympics should be fucked off indefinitely.

George Oscar Bluth II

I think if it does go ahead it'll collapse in on the IOC, it's already clear that it's too big, it asks too much of the places that host it, it has too many sports. Given how they're treating Tokyo and Japan why would you want to host this?

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on June 04, 2021, 05:11:17 PM
I think if it does go ahead it'll collapse in on the IOC, it's already clear that it's too big, it asks too much of the places that host it, it has too many sports. Given how they're treating Tokyo and Japan why would you want to host this?

Money.

imitationleather

The Olympics will clearly go the way of all other major sporting events and only be hosted by dictatorships looking to do a bit of sportswashing on their regime.

Consignia

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 04, 2021, 05:28:19 PM
Money.

But that's the point most of the time isn't it? It costs more to host than you recoup in the most immediate term. It's more of a prestige thing to show off your country to the world.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 04, 2021, 05:28:19 PM
Money.

It costs money to host it! The only Olympics ever to make money was LA 1984!

Sebastian Cobb

It typically leaves decaying relics in the countries that host it as well, whether rich or poor.

Some corrupt construction firms are quids in every time though.

Fambo Number Mive

I remember when people (not on here) were defending the Olympics because it meant transport improvements in East London, while not considering that a system which means people are relying on a giant expensive sports festival which causes many problems for local residents for transport improvements is a massive issue.

I always thought the DLR extension from Stratford International to Canning Town was a bit of a white elephant but it seems to be quite well used. Let's hope it makes the buses a bit less crowded (in my experience buses from Stratford station are always very busy, in particular the 25, 69 and 257, I remember waiting in massive crowds for the 69 and 257 from Stratford station).

The cable car does appear to be a white elephant though. Cost the public £24m, despite Johnson's promises.

BlodwynPig

Olympics is supposed to be for amateurs

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 04, 2021, 06:30:53 PM
I remember when people (not on here) were defending the Olympics because it meant transport improvements in East London, while not considering that a system which means people are relying on a giant expensive sports festival which causes many problems for local residents for transport improvements is a massive issue.

I always thought the DLR extension from Stratford International to Canning Town was a bit of a white elephant but it seems to be quite well used. Let's hope it makes the buses a bit less crowded (in my experience buses from Stratford station are always very busy, in particular the 25, 69 and 257, I remember waiting in massive crowds for the 69 and 257 from Stratford station).

The cable car does appear to be a white elephant though. Cost the public £24m, despite Johnson's promises.

I believe the plan was for rolling stock to eventually be displaced and make its way up to the North of England so the ancient pieces of shit they had up there could be retired but this never happened and they just kept everything.

Quote from: Consignia on June 04, 2021, 05:35:51 PM
But that's the point most of the time isn't it? It costs more to host than you recoup in the most immediate term. It's more of a prestige thing to show off your country to the world.
Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on June 04, 2021, 05:51:10 PM
It costs money to host it! The only Olympics ever to make money was LA 1984!

I should have expanded on that but, as Cobb says, there's an incredible amount of slush money to be made for politicians and contractors.

steveh

Japan's government has declared a state of emergency for Tokyo to continue through until late August but still the games go on - probably no spectators though.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/07/07/national/tokyo-quasi-emergency-coronavirus/

Fambo Number Mive

If the Olympics were happening in this country the government would pack the stadiums and give all VIPs immunity from testing or quarantine, misguided though I think Japan's government are in going ahead with the Olympics they aren't a mixture of Donald Trump and Ernest Blofeld like our government seems to be.

Pinball

No, Mr Bolt, I expect you to catch Covid.

Fambo Number Mive

A few COVID cases reported so far:

QuoteTwo South Africa footballers have become the first competitors to test positive for coronavirus in the athletes' village in Tokyo - five days before the start of the Olympic Games.

Meanwhile, six athletes and two staff members from Team GB's athletics team are self-isolating after being identified as close contacts of an individual who tested positive on their flight to Japan on 16 July.

South Africa's Football Association confirmed Thabiso Monyane and Kamohelo Mahlatsi as their positive cases.

The South Africa football team's video analyst Mario Masha also tested positive on Saturday and the team is in quarantine pending more test results.

Another athlete from outside the village tested positive on Sunday too.

"We have three positive cases of Covid-19 in the camp here, two players and an official," said South Africa team manager Mxolisi Sibam.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57844406

I'm wondering whether some Olympic sportspeople won't be able to compete in their event because they will be isolating while it takes place.

It's amazing that this Games could be the most disastrous given at least two previous Olympics have had terror attacks.

BlodwynPig

Sad news for the men's spitting competition. Was looking forward to that this time around, with Britain's Derek Berk in the form of his life.

badaids

Encouraged by the stories that, in search of a positive news story, the IOC are going to ratify the inclusion of the 400 x 1m hurdles.