Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:46:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Final FUCKDOWN

Started by Chedney Honks, May 31, 2021, 11:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have we got one more to go before the end of 2021?

Yes.
94 (66.7%)
No.
36 (25.5%)
Young people probably spread it in the first place so prepare to meet thy doom 😂😂😂
11 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 141

Zetetic

Was it SAGE or SPI-B that happily invited Cummings to sit and vet the conversation in 2020?

Fambo Number Mive

Bit surprised I have to rely on my local paper to find this out:

QuoteMedical experts believe diarrhoea, hearing impairment and blood clots that can lead to gangrene have been linked to cases of infection from the Delta variant.

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/national/uk-today/19362559.doctors-warn-3-new-covid-symptoms-linked-indian-variant/

MojoJojo

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 10, 2021, 10:30:58 AM
Bit surprised I have to rely on my local paper to find this out:

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/national/uk-today/19362559.doctors-warn-3-new-covid-symptoms-linked-indian-variant/

I think it's a bit non-news at the moment. Notice there's no attempt to quantify how common the "new symptoms" are. It's something that needs to be checked but it's been spun into a scare story. Everyone loves a bit of gangrene.

steveh

I'm not sure they're exactly new. It's been known since early on that it infects your intestine and having a stomach upset is a well-established symptom. In a survey of people with long Covid, tinnitus was reported by 34% of people along with other hearing issues. Covid toe and similar have also been reported for a long time but maybe sanitary conditions in some places in India make it more likely it could evolve into Gangrene?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Brother being a tit about covid just because he wants to go on holiday to Greece. Please can someone point me to the latest predicting models concerning hospitalisations from a non-twitter social media source?

bakabaka

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 10, 2021, 11:03:52 PM
Brother being a tit about covid just because he wants to go on holiday to Greece. Please can someone point me to the latest predicting models concerning hospitalisations from a non-twitter social media source?
Mr. S? Shame on him.

This one on the BBC's story on it today (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57434493) is delightfully apocalyptic:

steveh

As Monday is the day when they are making the decision about further loosening restrictions I assume there will be a load of data released to support what is decided. I don't think there's been anything on the models from official sources in recent days.

That BBC story also makes the point that the infections and hospitalisations link is weakening.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Zetetic on June 10, 2021, 09:58:20 AM
Unless you're from the Welsh or Scottish Governments in which case you're only allowed to attend as an observer.

or in my case, redacted from the minutes with zero glory.

What it has done is make the devolved administrations much more aggressive and proactive in their response. I dread to see the number of e-mails from Welsh government when I get back to work.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Zetetic on June 10, 2021, 10:00:17 AM
Was it SAGE or SPI-B that happily invited Cummings to sit and vet the conversation in 2020?

If it wasn't for Cummings a lot of good stuff wouldn't have got green lit.

bakabaka

Quote from: steveh on June 11, 2021, 08:40:32 AM
That BBC story also makes the point that the infections and hospitalisations link is weakening.

Shhh. He's looking for propaganda, not facts. A graph with a future line pointing to the sky is all that's needed; the accompanying text just muddies the water.

Zetetic

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 11, 2021, 08:49:52 AM
If it wasn't for Cummings a lot of good stuff wouldn't have got green lit.
What the fuck is this? Long 'ViD?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: bakabaka on June 11, 2021, 09:11:44 AM
Shhh. He's looking for propaganda, not facts. A graph with a future line pointing to the sky is all that's needed; the accompanying text just muddies the water.

Not at all, I could have used the graphs from page 3 were that the case. All I am interested in highlighting is a) what exponential growth actually means and b) what a higher rate of transmission does for hospital numbers, hopefully from a reputable source that isn't using social media as a foghorn.

Ultimately we have gone into lockdown in the past to stop the NHS from being overwhelmed. If that's been the red line it still is the red line now, regardless of how much you want to fly to Greece or cough in people's faces on public transport.

The people clinging to the low death numbers and vaccine programme are the ones who appear to be in denial - not about the certainty of a fuckdown, but about the risk of one and the implications of it. Others of us want to find out what's happening and seek out information.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Zetetic on June 11, 2021, 10:25:29 AM
What the fuck is this? Long 'ViD?

I sat in a meeting with his deputy (BW) and the guy was really supportive.

Zetetic

Look forward to learning more. Maybe a short piece on The One Show?

mobias

So going back to this graph then and the news today that Delta variant is 60% more transmissible.

Pinball

Wave 3 commences.

Hopefully, when the next deadly variant emerges, our government will bother to close the airports and borders, otherwise this will never end.

Natnar

I think they'll push "freedom day" back to July 19th, that'll be the first week of the kids summer holiday, there won't be schools worth of kids spreading stuff around to make the infection figure look as bad.

Chedney Honks

Seems like a pretty sensible idea, to be honest.

olliebean

Quote from: Natnar on June 12, 2021, 01:08:58 PM
I think they'll push "freedom day" back to July 19th, that'll be the first week of the kids summer holiday, there won't be schools worth of kids spreading stuff around to make the infection figure look as bad.

Word is that's probably what they're going to do, with a (supposedly) data-dependent option to open up on July 5th to give people a bit of false hope.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: olliebean on June 12, 2021, 01:37:58 PM
Word is that's probably what they're going to do, with a (supposedly) data-dependent option to open up on June 5th to give people a bit of false hope.

That was one week ago

MrMrs

they obviously meant July ffs

BlodwynPig

Quote from: MrMrs on June 12, 2021, 02:05:50 PM
they obviously meant July ffs

You again. Like clockwork. Mr and MrMrs show today

olliebean

I obviously meant July ffs

(corrected)

BlodwynPig

evilcommiedictator

Was reading an article in the Australian version of the BBC, talking to a Canadian about how they used to wish they were Australian (with the no COVID), but now with vaccinations they're getting back to normal and they're happy not to be us, and in the US they're down to less than 400 deaths a day, and I'm like, is this a plus?
Aren't you all getting ready for the Indian variant too, or have you cleverly blocked flights into greater North America (hahahaha)
Fingers crossed for you lot in the UK that it works out

Ferris

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on June 13, 2021, 02:47:06 AM
Was reading an article in the Australian version of the BBC, talking to a Canadian about how they used to wish they were Australian (with the no COVID), but now with vaccinations they're getting back to normal and they're happy not to be us, and in the US they're down to less than 400 deaths a day, and I'm like, is this a plus?
Aren't you all getting ready for the Indian variant too, or have you cleverly blocked flights into greater North America (hahahaha)
Fingers crossed for you lot in the UK that it works out

It is far from normal in Canada, I don't know anyone who thinks we're getting back to that any time soon. My wife isn't back at the office until September at the earliest and I'm not back in person at grad school until 2022.

We're supposed to all have our 2nd shots by august (I think?) so improvements are on the way but I've only been allowed to leave my city for the last week.

MrMrs

Canada is a shit show?

worse position than the UK?

BlodwynPig