Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:13:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Andrew Lawrence

Started by chrispmartha, June 10, 2021, 07:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mippy

Maybe it's a contrast thing in his case - redheaded women will use mascara etc. to add definition to their features (I'm a fake redhead with small, dark blue eyes and basically have to draw them back in to not look weird on camera). So they just look like two little currants on top of a bun.

frajer

He looks like what would happen if Laurence Fox was possessed by Pazuzu.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on June 10, 2021, 02:15:14 PM
It's worse than that, it's like something from HS Art

Oh come on, man's a cunt but that's a bit much

ProvanFan

I don't think his hair has much to do with it, it's just his eyes are terrifying.

Liked him in Brotherly Love though.

pcsjwgm

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 10, 2021, 10:53:41 AM
I've watched this probably three or four times now, having to rewind some bits to make sure the above post accurately captured what he was saying, and I just had the sudden realisation that there isn't a single joke in there. M

Made me think of this piece from Spiked (obviously praising Lawrence) that I read a while ago, which made me laugh when I first read it.
It is this sentiment that has made stand-up Andrew Lawrence the butt of performers-bar jokes. Last year, Lawrence was savaged by his colleagues when he published a long and scathing Facebook comment that took aim at the 'liberal back-slapping' on TV panel shows: 'Aging, balding, fat men, ethnic comedians and women-posing-as-comedians, sit congratulating themselves on how enlightened they are about the fact that UKIP are ridiculous and pathetic.' He was quickly dismissed as 'bitter' and 'self-delusional' and more or less kicked out of the comedy fraternity.

This year, in response, he's brought his new show, Uncensored, to the Fringe; it's his most uncompromising and politically charged yet. Pledging 'absolutely no concessions made to political correctness', he goes after the comedy establishment – reserving special bile for Stewart Lee – before taking on the burning issues that PC crusaders keep us from discussing, from immigration to Rochdale.

The show is a little low on the gags, but that's not the point. It's like a public exorcism, a release of all the pent-up fury this right-wing comedian has had to keep a lid on during his years on the circuit. But there are those who seem unconvinced by Lawrence's tirade against the censoriousness of PC. Comics will point out that the fact that he's still performing Uncensored as planned proves that, for all his caterwauling, he can say what he wants. He may have lost some friends, but not his liberties.
https://www.spiked-online.com/2015/08/21/the-biggest-threat-to-comedy-self-censorship/

chrispmartha

What did he say about Stewart Lee?

Utter Shit

Lawrence's career trajectory marks him out to me as a chancer who will happily take on whatever persona he thinks will make him a few bob.

He started off as an outsider doing weird poetry and stories that got him a bit of exposure. Then a few years later he ended up on Radio 4 doing pretty bland, safe Radio 4 comedy. That dried up and he leaned the other way into this anti-woke nonsense. He's a comedy grifter, basically.

Also, the titles of his Radio 4 shows sum up his career quite nicely.

What To Do If You're Not Like Everybody Else
How Did We End Up Like This?
Shipwrecked
There Is No Escape

Leej88

Plus a guest spot on Ideal.

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 11, 2021, 09:58:02 AM
Lawrence's career trajectory marks him out to me as a chancer who will happily take on whatever persona he thinks will make him a few bob.

I must've mentioned this before, but I enjoyed his airbrushed-to-fuck posters for his 2013 Edinburgh fringe show when he was clearly trying to appeal to fans of your t-shirt comedians.

People paying a tenner must've been disappointed when they turned up expecting a Russell Howard or a Russell Kane and got this weasel:

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on June 11, 2021, 11:36:04 AM
I must've mentioned this before, but I enjoyed his airbrushed-to-fuck posters for his 2013 Edinburgh fringe show when he was clearly trying to appeal to fans of your t-shirt comedians.

People paying a tenner must've been disappointed when they turned up expecting a Russell Howard or a Russell Kane and got this weasel:

Wet Blanket

He started off as an outsider doing weird poetry and stories that got him a bit of exposure. Then a few years later he ended up on Radio 4 doing pretty bland, safe Radio 4 comedy. That dried up and he leaned the other way into this anti-woke nonsense. He's a comedy grifter, basically.

Also, the titles of his Radio 4 shows sum up his career quite nicely.

Shipwrecked
There Is No Escape

I suspect he thinks he's on to a good grift but if he'd had any nouse he could have skewed towards the right without going full white-van-man and joined the other two sorta-Tory comics, Geoff Norcott and that Brighton guy with the little eyes as the acceptable face of conservative comedy. He already had the Radio 4 profile and everything. Instead he's just pained himself into the corner of angry has-beens on Twitter with Lee Hurst.

Brundle-Fly

I'm not sure whether it's that calculated. For all intents and purposes, Andrew Lawrence was a successful stand-up who'd made the transition from the circuit to Radio 4 and briefly on TV. Many comedians take a while to find their voice and try out different styles and attitudes, this doesn't necessarily make them careerist dilettantes. Nor sellouts because they've found a way to become more accessible to put some food on the table.

Somewhere along the line, Lawrence began to feel excluded for whatever reason. So, after all these years of driving to a thousand gigs, wanking alone in Travelodges, and dying many times on stage to get this far, only to not become a regular on Mock The Week or Taskmaster? Bastards! He's clearly become curdled by this rejection and decided 'the lefties' are to blame, even though plenty of liberal comics of all stripes have not had a sniff either (probably because they're not represented by the big comedy agencies)  I'm not convinced the likes of Lawrence, Lee Hurst, etc wake up one morning and set out to be 'anti-woke grifters' any more than I believe Josie Long and friends are grifting for the 'woke dollar'.

The truth is, that's showbusiness. Everything about it is appeeeealing, but it's always been a cruel, fickle, arbitrary, unimaginative cunt, irrespective of what you look like and how you vote.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: An tSaoi on June 10, 2021, 01:50:11 PM
I was trying to work out what's so odd about him. I think it's because he has red hair but brown eyes. I don't think I've ever seen that before.
I thought you needed 2 blue-eyed parents to get blue eyes and 2 red-haired parents to get red hair but according to Wikipedia, eye colour is MUCH MORE COMPLICATED: "The genetics of eye color are so complex that almost any parent-child combination of eye colors can occur." Just in case you're about to throw your wife and child out onto the street (or vice versa).

Barry Admin

Brundle: Yeah I could see that, I just think it's dumb as hell to blame lefties when they have such little power and influence, but the right never admits that.

Just being on Twitter and Facebook ends up making a lot of people waaaaay more polarised in their attitudes and opinions, too.

Quote from: pcsjwgm on June 11, 2021, 03:24:31 AM
Made me think of this piece from Spiked (obviously praising Lawrence) that I read a while ago, which made me laugh when I first read it.https://www.spiked-online.com/2015/08/21/the-biggest-threat-to-comedy-self-censorship/

Lol, good old Spiked.
To be fair, I tried watching his new clip where he does Joe Boden, and there were actually jokes in it, but they were all of the "oooh I'm senile and forget words" variety. Hit bits just seem like the longest two minutes in the world. Partly I think the material is at fault, but I may also have to keep away from that bloody YouTube "Shorts" tiktok thing. Watching millions of short clips of lions, tigers and Sheena Malwani laughing at her husband isn't doing my dire attention span and hyperactivity much good, I feel.

He looks sort of albiro-ish.

idunnosomename

Shipwrecked
There Is No Escape
they all sound like live shows where on the tour poster he's shrugging with a quizzical gurn

Kankurette

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 11, 2021, 12:00:56 PM
Brundle: Yeah I could see that, I just think it's dumb as hell to blame lefties when they have such little power and influence, but the right never admits that.

Just being on Twitter and Facebook ends up making a lot of people waaaaay more polarised in their attitudes and opinions, too.

Lol, good old Spiked.
To be fair, I tried watching his new clip where he does Joe Boden, and there were actually jokes in it, but they were all of the "oooh I'm senile and forget words" variety. Hit bits just seem like the longest two minutes in the world. Partly I think the material is at fault, but I may also have to keep away from that bloody YouTube "Shorts" tiktok thing. Watching millions of short clips of lions, tigers and Sheena Malwani laughing at her husband isn't doing my dire attention span and hyperactivity much good, I feel.
Ah yes, ye olde liberal establishment bullshit, even though the Tories have been in power for over a decade and this is one of the most right-wing governments I've lived under since Thatcher.

mippy

TBF, if big posters of me were going up all over Edinburgh I'd get them airbrushed ro fuck too.

sevendaughters

there's a lot of threads about right wing bogeymen in our midst these days and you can usually find people clinging on to the old days or the fact that some of it is still good/"apolitical" or that yeah it is unacceptable but there's good bits but NEVER in Andrew Lawrence threads, everyone seems to agree that he is shit and was never really good enough to merit any kind of saving from ignominy.

peanutbutter

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 11, 2021, 01:47:17 PM
there's a lot of threads about right wing bogeymen in our midst these days and you can usually find people clinging on to the old days or the fact that some of it is still good/"apolitical" or that yeah it is unacceptable but there's good bits but NEVER in Andrew Lawrence threads, everyone seems to agree that he is shit and was never really good enough to merit any kind of saving from ignominy.
I think some people liked the weirdness of his stuff way back when, I remember giving him a few tries and not getting it at all. Having a quick trawl through the internet for old shows and I'm seeing a LOT of 3 star reviews.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 11, 2021, 12:00:56 PM
lions, tigers and Sheena Malwani laughing at her husband

Surreal image

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 11, 2021, 01:47:17 PM
Quote from: peanutbutter on June 12, 2021, 01:10:51 AM
I think some people liked the weirdness of his stuff way back when, I remember giving him a few tries and not getting it at all. Having a quick trawl through the internet for old shows and I'm seeing a LOT of 3 star reviews.

Milk Run was one of the things he did that people liked (me included). It's on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDSagYgc84c

Quote from: chrispmartha on June 11, 2021, 08:50:57 AM
What did he say about Stewart Lee?

'Sell-out', 'rancid fucking impostor', and 'smug, elitist Oxbridge' Stewart Lee, according to three different reviewers.

bomb_dog

I feel somewhat happier knowing I won't click this and get myself wound up by whatever he's trying to monetise unjustified anger about in this one.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on June 12, 2021, 12:10:46 PM
Milk Run was one of the things he did that people liked (me included). It's on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDSagYgc84c

Monkey Dust meets Jam? but a bit too try-hard.

BlodwynPig

peanutbutter

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 13, 2021, 01:41:29 PM
Monkey Dust meets Jam? but a bit too try-hard.

In a manner he was a bit unfortunate with the timing of his career. The Monkey Dust type stuff he was probably effortlessly okay at churning out was pretty much at its peak around the time he emerged, and he got loads of "best newcomer" style accolades to back it up. Would've probably been a much healthier life to never have had the notion that being a comedian could be a valid career choice.

chrispmartha

Quote from: bomb_dog on June 13, 2021, 01:38:36 PM
I feel somewhat happier knowing I won't click this and get myself wound up by whatever he's trying to monetise unjustified anger about in this one.

Ill summarise, calls Biden and Trudeau nonces, goes on a rant about Sterling being picked, which clearly hasn't aged very well as I believe Sterling scored Englands winning goal - ooopsie.

chrispmartha

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 13, 2021, 01:44:09 PM
Lovely selection of RACIST CUNTS in the comments.

Wow! You're not wrong.

Quote from: peanutbutter on June 13, 2021, 08:13:15 PM
Would've probably been a much healthier life to never have had the notion that being a comedian could be a valid career choice.

He doesn't seem like someone who is naturally funny, to say the least.[nb]Yeah, I know: look who's talking![/nb]