Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 06:18:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek Picard S2

Started by Malcy, June 16, 2021, 06:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

New trailer with a first look at the big returnee!

https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/1405204911768342530

And the first trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhsx-loE4Zw

This could be good but not holding my breath. Have seen a few filming pics that suggested an alternate timeline.
Spoiler alert
Like Seven on a bus.
[close]

JamesTC

PICARD HAS A ROBOT COCK
PICARD HAS A ROBOT ANUS

Malcy

Quote from: JamesTC on June 16, 2021, 07:07:54 PM
PICARD HAS A ROBOT COCK
PICARD HAS A ROBOT ANUS

Shit, forgot about that. I reckon Q will sort him out because the fans kicked up a stink, i mean because he's nice like that. (Couldn't figure out how to do that line through text thing).

Wonderful Butternut

If he doesn't hug Q, I won't watch the rest of the series.

Blumf

All Secret Hideout Trek can fuck off.

JamesTC

"I've always loved you Q, despite what I said earlier"

I hope Q (as played by Malcolm McDowell) turns Picard back to normal but leaves his robot cock and then Picard goes on adventures with his robot cock throughout the galaxy. The first episode is called Robot Qock.

The Klingons are about to go to war with the Cardassians but then Picard steps up in the centre of the negotiating table and unsheathes his robot cock. Both sides set aside their differences and marvel at his robot cock. 

mothman

The poster reminded me of an animated teaser poster for True Detective season 2. That I can't now find. But what I did find, oddly, was a promotional poster that looks rather like it has the Starfleet delta on it...

Lemming

TIME HAS BEEN BROKEN

Not feeling a shred of optimism for this, honestly, the first season of Picard was outright atrocious. Couldn't stomach Discovery season three at all, either, but this might be worth a shot just to see if they can top their previous glory of incest Romulans and Bruce Maddox's organs exploding.

Deanjam

I always enjoy Q, even when he's in a rubbish story, so will probably watch this. Alternate timelines are also a favourite idea of mine, but there's such a paucity of imagination in the writing of the new Treks that I doubt they'll do anything good with it. Just wish we could eject the new characters and focus on Q, Picard & Seven.

Alberon

The first season started well, but the embarrassing shitshow of a resolution ruined everything.

No enthusiasm for this, even with Q. Though, unlike Discovery, I will give it a go.

JamesTC

Quote from: Lemming on June 16, 2021, 10:20:37 PM
TIME HAS BEEN BROKEN

Sounds like the tag line for a shit Doctor Who finale.

Wonderful Butternut

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I accidentally signed up for the free month of Amazon Prime, so I've just watched the first series this week. It is rather naff, but I'd be lying if I said the TNG cameos didn't get to me a bit.

Maybe I'm more horrible than I realised, but
Spoiler alert
before Starfleet turned up in the nick of time
[close]
I was almost rooting for the Romulans
Spoiler alert
to bomb the shit out of the Synths. I know the robots were facing extinction, but instigating pangalactic genocide as a response is going a bit too far
[close]
. Data would have had none of it.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on June 16, 2021, 07:58:34 PM
If he doesn't hug Q, I won't watch the rest of the series.
He told Data how wonderful it was to see his strange beautiful face.

He'll hug Q.

Blumf

New trailer up, and it's generic shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkEC1FIGqXQ

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on September 09, 2021, 04:41:41 PM
The new Picard S2 trailer has just come it. It looks fucking shit. 7 of 9 driving an SUV for fuck's sake.

Quote from: Mobbd on September 09, 2021, 05:16:55 PM
Wow, that's significantly worse than even I'd imagined and my expectations were in dog pops territory. Holy shit. That's almost impressive.

Wonderful Butternut

So something changes in the past which basically turns the Federation into a version of the Terran Empire (I saw the fucking symbol)? So that's two Star Trek tropes that are overplayed to shit straight off the bat - Time Travel and the Mirror fucking Universe[nb]Even though it won't technically be the Mirror Universe, it'll be just something exactly like it. Unless this is the creation of the Mirror Universe we see in this episode.[/nb].

And they go back to a setting contemporary to real life. Presumably not for just an episode, which has been done, and can be good, see Future's End, but for a significant portion of the series. That's what I want to watch Star Trek for, to see Picard and Seven as fugitives from 21st century justice. Yeah. Just file the serial numbers off and write an original series, please.

If they manage to make this not be shit, then fair play to them.

Endicott

They won't manage that. I hate prejudging these things, but unfortunately I've seen Picard S1.

Malcy

It looks fucking awful. Why do they need the Borg Queen to time travel? Why does the Romulan elf have a really weird haircut? Why is Kurtzman still in charge and been given a 5 year extension?

I got up early to check everything out from yesterday's event and it was a huge letdown.

Wonderful Butternut

Season 1 had potential, but the showrunners (Sir Patrick included, btw) just let their need to show how fucking edgy and dark they were ruin it.

This though... like I get Sir Pat's heart in the right place in terms of his politics, and I'm certainly not going to be one of these absolute cretins that demands that their entertainment be 'non-political'. But Star Trek could make it's social and political points and relate the issue of the episode to the real world, without feeling the need have it's characters literally break the fourth wall into the real world to prevent the emergence of a fascist dictatorship. Which is what this looks like it's going to be.

Maybe it'll subvert all my expectations. I certainly hope it does.

Dusty Substance

*Mr. Plinkett voice* "Oohh nooo".

JamesTC

PICARD IS DEAD

It would be good if they stop all of the xenophobia from the past. Otherwise who knows where it will lead us. We could end up with huge swathes of the populace in bordered off slums by the mid-2020s. We could even end up with a new Hitler leading humanity to World War III. Hopefully Picbot manages to stop that dark future!

Memorable Quotes from Season 2:
Picbot: Q, I am so sick of your bullshit. Fuck off you overpowered cunt.
7 of 9: I did want to kill myself but now I have murdered some people I feel much better. Where is the booze lads? Whey heeeeeey!

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on September 09, 2021, 06:07:34 PM
This though... like I get Sir Pat's heart in the right place in terms of his politics, and I'm certainly not going to be one of these absolute cretins that demands that their entertainment be 'non-political'. But Star Trek could make it's social and political points and relate the issue of the episode to the real world, without feeling the need have it's characters literally break the fourth wall into the real world to prevent the emergence of a fascist dictatorship. Which is what this looks like it's going to be.

The politics of Season 1 were some of the most offensive and idiotic shit I have ever seen. In the end the xenophobic group manipulating events turned out to be right and those bad androids (foreigners) turned out to be destined to kill us all (using a big robot octopus).

Mobbd

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 09, 2021, 06:08:38 PM
*Mr. Plinkett voice* "Oohh nooo".

So true! The rising dread.

"Oh, no-no-no-no-no."

I already planned to forgo this because I have been fooled too many times; and even though I read on Ex Astris Scientia that Disco is on something of a continuity tour now in an attempt to set things right, I realised that there's just no goodwill left in me and I won't be insulted again. But this -- this fucking trailer -- is lower than anything I imagined. Fucking hell.

One of the credits I'd give to Picard is that at least it's post-Voyager and not another prequel. It expands the painting (even if the new parts of the painting are utterly repulsive). So let's wreck that one straw a fan can clutch by going back in time now! Why not?

And the Mirror Universe again? Seriously? What is with this obsession? It was SHIT in Discovery, so let's have another dollop.

Still, maybe they'll learn something about timelines and stick Discovery in its own one.

Okay but what if they go back in time to the 21st century and it's our 21st century. Like what if the Q-altered dystopian timeline (you know Q did it, right, to fuck with Picard) starts out like our 21st century. No Eugenics Wars/WWIII/post-atomic horror, just end stage capitalism and rampant imperialism extending itself into space while the planet burns and the workers die or are replaced by machines. Imagine if they had the balls to do that.

Malcy

The extremely Irish Tal'Shiar Romulan is back. Hopefully some timeline shenanigans wipes her from existence. And why was there still no sight of Guinan? Goldberg was the first to be announced for it even over the regular cast from S1!

Quote from: Malcy on September 09, 2021, 06:25:01 PM
The extremely Irish Tal'Shiar Romulan is back. Hopefully some timeline shenanigans wipes her from existence.
heaven forbid any ESL speaker not have a British or American accent

Malcy

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on September 09, 2021, 06:29:05 PM
heaven forbid any ESL speaker not have a British or American accent

It's not that, it was the Irish slang she used. Made no sense whatsoever. Saved by Picard after saving his life and taken to France. Touchy.

Quote from: Malcy on September 09, 2021, 06:41:08 PM
It's not that, it was the Irish slang she used. Made no sense whatsoever. Saved by Picard after saving his life and taken to France. Touchy.
yeah this is the kind of nitpicking shite that makes me not want to talk to other Trek fans. Did you notice how very very incredibly British Picard is or is that okay because you saw TNG first and therefore it's sacred and holy?

Malcy

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on September 09, 2021, 06:43:23 PM
yeah this is the kind of nitpicking shite that makes me not want to talk to other Trek fans. Did you notice how very very incredibly British Picard is or is that okay because you saw TNG first and therefore it's sacred and holy?

Suggest you don't then.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Malcy on September 09, 2021, 06:41:08 PM

She's ex-Tal Shiar. Maybe there's a Federation installation worth infiltrating in Ireland and at some point she was stationed there well before the destruction of the Romulan homeworld or meeting Picard. Romulans and Vulcans live for ages, she could easily be 100 years old. Does it really matter anyway? Being super serious, everyone in Star Trek should speak a different version of English to anything that exists currently due to nearly 400 years of the language evolving.

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on September 09, 2021, 06:24:26 PM
Okay but what if they go back in time to the 21st century and it's our 21st century. Like what if the Q-altered dystopian timeline (you know Q did it, right, to fuck with Picard) starts out like our 21st century. No Eugenics Wars/WWIII/post-atomic horror, just end stage capitalism and rampant imperialism extending itself into space while the planet burns and the workers die or are replaced by machines. Imagine if they had the balls to do that.

Maybe that's what they will do. The "bad" future is actually the one we're going to irl and they have to restore the future where 600 million people die in WWIII cos it's the better one long term. I'm struggling to see how it'll end up as anything but painful to watch though. I didn't like when Enterprise hammered the War on Terror similarities in season 3 right into our eyes and ears with suicide bombers and Trip going on about 'none of the non interference crap' in case watching Archer look for WMDs might be too subtle otherwise. This looks like it could be on the same level.

You know Geordi's from Africa, right? So why does he sound American? How come Worf doesn't sound Russian? What's Deanna's accent supposed to be? How come Lwaxana doesn't have one?

I'm not here to claim Picard is perfect. I enjoyed it overall but it really came off the rails at the end and Droid!Picard feels like a cynical way to ensure they can keep making it if anything happens to Patrick Stewart. It's not a recast, we put his brain in a new body. I was also disappointed to see them time-travelling to the 21st century. (Then again, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is beloved by the fandom.) But this fucking picking on stupid shit, like a Romulan sounds Irish and that's SO IMMERSION-BREAKING, she should sound different, it's hard not to picture the stereotypical Star Trek fan when I read it.