Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:24:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"B*lt my hat's arse!" - AMAZING things you've only just found out

Started by touchingcloth, July 01, 2021, 09:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

At 101 pages the Fuck My H*t thread will soon be consigned to room 101, so have a new one, you fucks. And have a thing from another thread which belted my hat's arse for six:

Quote from: Mobius on July 01, 2021, 04:57:42 AM
I read a cool thing yesterday, that sharks are older than trees. Sharks have been around for 450 million years compared to trees 350 million years on earth.

Nuts, huh?

Nuts indeed, Mobius. Nuts indeed.

Cerys

Beekeepers keep track of how old each queen bee is by marking their thoraces with nail varnish, a different colour denoting each year in a five-year cycle.  The sequence is white, yellow, red, green, blue - using the mnemonic 'Will You Remember Great Britain'.  Makes you think.

Edit - I'm so ashamed.  The above isn't something I've just found out - I've known it for over thirty years.  You'd think I'd have learned to read at some point during that time.

touchingcloth

Poobum

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 01, 2021, 09:03:42 AM
At 101 pages the Fuck My H*t thread will soon be consigned to room 101, so have a new one, you fucks. And have a thing from another thread which belted my hat's arse for six:

Nuts indeed, Mobius. Nuts indeed.

Also fish are older than land plants, the plants of the land.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Poobum on July 01, 2021, 01:15:41 PM
Also fish are older than land plants, the plants of the land.

It's one of those things where cladistics starts to butt up against common sense, innit. Like when the first animals started making their forays onto land, green things that you'd colloquially call plants would have been there already, but perhaps not the "land plants" specifically. Like how modern birds are technically dinosaurs even though everyone has an intuitive idea of what a bird is and knows that it's very different from their intuitive view of what a dinosaur is.

touchingcloth

The temperature of the streetlights divide east from west in present-day Berlin.

chveik

Bernice

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 02, 2021, 10:04:29 AM

The temperature of the streetlights divide east from west in present-day Berlin.

Good luck getting a decent night's kip with all that blue spectrum light, you stinking Wessis.

touchingcloth

Unlike you poor Ossis, we don't sleep outside with our Ersatz coffee.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

One of the first things Aardman Animations was involved with was Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer video.

idunnosomename

I mean the thing is there weren't many studios about who could've pulled that off back then. Some of it is by the Brothers Quay (like the fruit face, I think)

Also Aardman were doing Morph for Tony Hart from '77. I think Sledgehammer could be called the studio's big breakthrough

daf

Goes back even further - to 1972 when they were doing stuff for Vision On :

QuoteAardman was founded in 1972 as a low-budget project by Peter Lord and David Sproxton, who wanted to realise their dream of producing an animated motion picture. The partnership provided animated sequences for the BBC series for deaf children Vision On.

Quote"Aardman" - Various Clay animated segments created by Peter Lord and David Sproxton, including the Greeblies, who served as early precursors of their later creation, Morph, and Aard-man, a superhero whose name would later become the name of Lord and Sproxton's company, Aardman Animations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vision_On

touchingcloth

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on July 04, 2021, 01:53:47 AM
One of the first things Aardman Animations was involved with was Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer video.

The people who did the animations for the Money for Nothing video went on to found the studio that made kids' TV animation ReBoot.

jamiefairlie

On the subject of UK animation of the 70s, Joy Division/New Order's Bernard Sumner was an artist on Cosgrove Hall's pre-Danger Mouse epic Jamie and The Magic Torch.

bakabaka

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 04, 2021, 05:57:03 PM
The people who did the animations for the Money for Nothing video went on to found the studio that made kids' TV animation ReBoot.
Because they realised that they still had the rights to use the wireframe models and that all the work they had done could be reused for stuff that lasted longer than 3 minutes.
The characters from the Money for Nothing video popped up in the background of the show several times and one episode took the piss out of the video.

The Santa/James Bond/Whacky Races episode was the best.

idunnosomename

Also the Reboot team did the Def Leppard "Let's Get Rocked" video. which has way less charm than Money for Nothing, nonetheless pretty groundbreaking for 1991/2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO1Nae_EBvQ

the meta stuff with the wireframe views, command lines and the nodes kinda makes it hold up. not the song of course, that sucks.

studpuppet

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 02, 2021, 10:04:29 AM

Also (down at street level), their Ampelmännchen also lets you know which side of town you're in.

The Lurker

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: studpuppet on July 05, 2021, 12:38:24 AM
Also (down at street level), their Ampelmännchen also lets you know which side of town you're in.

I was lead to believe there's loads of pipework from the East parts of Berlin feeding industry/district heating, but googling it, I think the person telling me must've gotten confused as to the purpose of Berlin's Pink Pipes:

These appear to be temporary pipework used during construction to take water pump out the ground and then dump into the canal.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/magazine-18735335

studpuppet

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 06, 2021, 12:52:04 PM
These appear to be temporary pipework used during construction to take water pump out the ground and then dump into the canal.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/magazine-18735335

Yup - in recent years linguists have settled on the name 'Berlin' coming from the Slav for 'swamp-town'. Thing is they're semi-permanent because, like most large cities, there's ALWAYS some construction going on that needs pumping out. The pipes would have saved Speer a lot of bother: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwerbelastungsk%C3%B6rper

touchingcloth

I fucking love Berlin. If I had to live in a city, that's the one I'd pick.

touchingcloth

Alien Resurrection was directed by the person who went on to direct Amélie.

Cerys

idunnosomename

Alien Resurrection is already a crossover with French magical realism

Sebastian Cobb

Resurrection probably shares more in common with Jeunet's earlier film, Delicatessen.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 07, 2021, 08:30:08 AM
Resurrection probably shares more in common with Jeunet's earlier film, Delicatessen.

And The City of Lost Children.

Paul Calf

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on July 07, 2021, 10:34:19 AM
And The City of Lost Children.

Agreed. Similar visuals, the clones, re-used Ron Perlman etc....

An amazing film thing I recently found out is that virtually all the sheep used in Brokeback Mountain were CGI after Ang Lee had a tough time working with the animals on Sense and Sensibility. It's been a while (15 years?) since I watched BM so can't vouch for if the CGI stands up but they certainly didn't look obviously fake at the time. 

Icehaven

The population of Britain is larger than the combined populations of Canada and Australia. I know it's because huge swathes of those countries are virtually uninhabitable, but I still would have thought their populations would be larger than they are.