Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:57:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"B*lt my hat's arse!" - AMAZING things you've only just found out

Started by touchingcloth, July 01, 2021, 09:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: studpuppet on July 05, 2021, 12:38:24 AM
Also (down at street level), their Ampelmännchen also lets you know which side of town you're in.

This is dead good

Dusty Substance

In the original books John Shaft was white - . "Not only was he white, but a very WASPy person from Ohio." https://www.mulhollandbooks.com/books/shafted-on-ernest-r-tidyman-and-the-makings-of-shaft/

Hat's arse well and truly b*lted. Can you dig it?

EDIT: Whoops - Just realised I didn't read that link properly and that quote was actually about Ernest Tidyman, the creator of Shaft and not the character.

It says here on Wikipedia "In Tidyman's original story Shaft was white, but [Gordon] Parks cast Richard Roundtree as the eponymous hero."  https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Shaft_(1971_film)#/Background

DOUBLE EDIT: Still on the Shaft theme, Samuel L. Jackson (Shaft, 2000) is only six years younger than Richard Roundtree (Shaft, 1971)

touchingcloth

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 09, 2021, 10:21:26 PM
In the original books John Shaft was white - . "Not only was he white, but a very WASPy person from Ohio." https://www.mulhollandbooks.com/books/shafted-on-ernest-r-tidyman-and-the-makings-of-shaft/

Hat's arse well and truly b*lted. Can you dig it?

Belt my hat's arse - this is about John Shaft of Isaac Hayes Shaft fame.

kalowski

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 09, 2021, 07:01:49 PM
Six shoes, two feet, two hands, a penis and some lovely balls. Can you blame me?
"Jules Rimet still gleaming"

Replies From View

PlanktonSideburns

Dusty Substance

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 11, 2021, 12:52:46 AM
Clive Dunn had a number one single.

The amazing thing for me about 'Grandad' isn't that Clive Dunn had a number one single, it's that it was written by Herbie "played bass on Walk On The Wild Side" Flowers.

touchingcloth

Android (2007) has been around for more than half of Google's (1998) existence.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 11, 2021, 07:26:37 PM
The amazing thing for me about 'Grandad' isn't that Clive Dunn had a number one single, it's that it was written by Herbie "played bass on Walk On The Wild Side" Flowers.

Clive was younger than me when he did that....grim.

Rizla

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 11, 2021, 07:26:37 PM
He wrote it and he went and played fuzzy-wuzzy bass all over it! (© QMagazine, 1990).
In point of fact, he played bass on WotWS twice(double and electric). The boy Flowers was a prolific sessioner, with War Of The Worlds, Nilsson Schmilsson and various Bowie, Elton, George, Ringo and Rog "Watch yer backs" Daltrey on the old curriculum vitae.

touchingcloth

I'm not best pleased with this tangent from Clive Dunn chat. Let's bring it back to Bootsie and Snudge.

Paul Calf

the red liquid that leaks out of meat when cut is not blood, and butchered meat contains only a trace amount of blood: the redness comes from a protein called myoglobin. The oxidisation of myoglobin is what's responsible for the browning effect on cooked meat.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/04/the-red-juice-in-raw-red-meat-is-not-blood/

The idea that meat contains blood is so pervasive that I have never met a chef who doesn't assume it to be true.

Replies From View

Paul Calf

'Saskatoon' isn't the correct pronunciation of 'Saskatchewan', but the name of the principle city of the province of Saskatchewan, which is pronounced 'Sas-KA-chu-wan'

Replies From View

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 14, 2021, 05:03:36 PM
'Saskatoon' isn't the correct pronunciation of 'Saskatchewan', but the name of the principle city of the province of Saskatchewan, which is pronounced 'Sas-KA-chu-wan'

Like the bigfoots

Paul Calf

steveh

Quote from: jamiefairlie on July 12, 2021, 06:57:26 PM
Clive was younger than me when he did that....grim.

In a similar vein, when the Smurfs single came out Father Abraham was only 42.

Replies From View

Also in a similar vein when the Beatles Anthology came out John Lennon had only been dead for 15 years.

Since the Anthology came out, well let's round it up and call it 30 years because I can't be fucked to quibble today.  We will just do as I say and say I am right

Replies From View

Also in a similar vein the Raggy Dolls cartoon was a rip-off of A Clockwork Orange, and then Pugwall's Summer ripped off The Raggy Dolls.

Echo Valley 2-6809

AMAZING or 020210us?

Paul Calf

dissolute ocelot

This confused me for ages. Also, the capital of Saskatchewan isn't Saskatoon, it's Regina, although Saskatoon is the biggest city. Regina is pronounced to rhyme with vagina (or miner not meaner, in non-rhotic English accents).

Ferris

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 15, 2021, 03:07:42 PM
This confused me for ages. Also, the capital of Saskatchewan isn't Saskatoon, it's Regina, although Saskatoon is the biggest city.

That's quite common outside of Europe I think? Toronto/Ottawa[nb]although Toronto is the provincial capital, to which Ottawa (as a municipality) is subservient. What a wacky world!![/nb], Victoria/Vancouver, Canberra/Sydney, Montréal/Québec City, Edmonton/Calgary, New York/DC, Brasilia/Rio de Janeiro etc.

I bet there's loads of others I'm too ignorant to know about (including probably New Zealand, but I know nothing about it. I just have a hunch).

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 15, 2021, 03:16:46 PM
I bet there's loads of others I'm too ignorant to know about (including probably New Zealand, but I know nothing about it. I just have a hunch).

I thought the capital of NZ was Auckland, but turns out its Wellington.

canadagoose

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 15, 2021, 03:16:46 PM
That's quite common outside of Europe I think? Toronto/Ottawa[nb]although Toronto is the provincial capital, to which Ottawa (as a municipality) is subservient. What a wacky world!![/nb], Victoria/Vancouver, Canberra/Sydney, Montréal/Québec City, Edmonton/Calgary, New York/DC, Brasilia/Rio de Janeiro etc.

Edinburgh/Glasgow ;)