Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:07:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games - Sponsored by Covid-19

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, July 23, 2021, 12:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I didn't see a thread for this so here it is.

Opening ceremony is happening.

Many of the events presumably are going to be on at awkward times for Western audiences.

There already seems to be hundreds of athletes testing positive or just pulling out.

The Olympic Tennis tournament seems to be missing a big chunk of Men and Women's top 50 players.

The events already seem to have started ahead of the opening ceremony.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Also practical information, where to watch, etc:

It's on telly

JesusAndYourBush

It was a very subdued opening ceremony. It's onto the athletes entering the arena already.  I wanted Geishas dancing with Pikachus backed by some 150bpm JPop.

bgmnts

Considering the shambolic run up to this, it's all very subdued and dull.

I was expecting a funny disaster.

JesusAndYourBush

Swaziland renamed themselves to Eswatini.

And the countries are coming in in a funny order. I think they're coming in in katakana order, so vowels first. AIUEO.

EDIT: Sierra Leone's outfits are emblazoned with ganja leaves!

Looking forward to the skateboarding competition, though it's probably a foregone conclusion that Tony Hawks takes the gold.[nb]Honestly hopeful that they look like olde skaters and skate to a punk rock soundtrack but fearful they may look like cyclists and skate in silence.[/nb]

Cuellar

I quite enjoy how everything is so half-arsed these days. Brazil with around 300 athletes competing sent about 5 to walk behind the flag. Really gives a feeling of Ballardian anomie, like society is just losing interest in itself.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cuellar on July 23, 2021, 02:11:20 PM
I quite enjoy how everything is so half-arsed these days. Brazil with around 300 athletes competing sent about 5 to walk behind the flag. Really gives a feeling of Ballardian anomie, like society is just losing interest in itself.

But i bet the bbc are in default hyper exaggerated nationalism mode still.

Cuellar

Interspersed with inane horrors

"Haiti! A flamboyant entrance there, for a country mired in its own problems after the assassination of their leader early this month"

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I am very disappointed that there have been no nods to Akira yet.

bgmnts

The music is ringing such a bell, hat video game is it from? Pokemon?

JesusAndYourBush

Fuck! This doesn't half go on! I've fallen asleep twice!
And with the weird order they're coming on there's no sense of how far through we are.

Cuellar

Cuellar

'Imagine there's no countries' right and how would that work at the Olympics then

selectivememory

Youse are the biggest shower of miserable cunts, honest to god

daf

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on July 23, 2021, 02:10:41 PM
Looking forward to the skateboarding competition, though it's probably a foregone conclusion that Tony Hawks takes the gold.

Should be in tip-top shape after lugging that fridge round Ireland!!!!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on July 23, 2021, 02:58:06 PM
Youse are the biggest shower of miserable cunts, honest to god

Better to be right and miserable than wrong and juiced up on tired 'spectacles'.

It was just the song, for me. Everything apart from that was fine.

Admittedly most of it was just a bunch of people I don't know walking into a stadium and waving, but they seemed happy about it.

bgmnts

I sort of like how rubbish and half arsed and apathetic it was.

Like yeah here's the Olympics I suppose, here's some athletes tweeting on their smartphones, here's some flag waving. Now let's get this over with so we can smash the sake.

Wasn't a garish fireworks display or a cringe worthy, pretentious effort.

Oh okay Pig you keep hate-watching a 'tired spectacle' and I'll enjoy watching people coming together from 205 different countries to play some games.

Quote from: daf on July 23, 2021, 03:02:40 PM
Should be in tip-top shape after lugging that fridge round Ireland!!!!

You may not be interested to know that I made a genuine Tony Hawks mistake but when I realised thought well that's alright it looks like a joke.

Cuellar

Can they stop all cumming over the drone display. Yes it was cool but they're programmed, it's not like there are 2000 people flying them manually..

Music from the Final Fantasy games was played when some countries made their entrances, including the battle victory theme. They should have saved that for when someone wins an event.

bgmnts

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 23, 2021, 04:28:01 PM
Music from the Final Fantasy games was played when some countries made their entrances, including the battle victory theme. They should have saved that for when someone wins an event.

Thank you! Definitely sounded familiar.

imitationleather

Korean national broadcaster representing Ukraine, Haiti, Italy and El Salvador with Chernobyl, rioting, pizza, and Bitcoin.

If you can think of any better suggestions I'd like to hear them.

chveik

apparently Belarus was more affected than Ukraine by the nuclear fallout

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: chveik on July 23, 2021, 05:31:56 PM
apparently Belarus was more affected than Ukraine by the nuclear fallout

Yes, Belarus one was represented by an xray showing a cancerous leg.