Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:50:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games - Sponsored by Covid-19

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, July 23, 2021, 12:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamiefairlie

Quote from: buttgammon on July 25, 2021, 11:35:06 PM
Not sure if I do but maybe some day in the future!

The Olympics are a minefield for someone in their thirties, because the thought of a parallel universe where you became a world class archer or BMX rider are irresistible.

A world class archer shooting BMX riders. I'd watch that.

jobotic

Nice bit of throwing up at the end. Winner taken to the medical tent to have his bald spot looked at.

Thursday

Quote from: buttgammon on July 25, 2021, 11:35:06 PM
Not sure if I do but maybe some day in the future!

The Olympics are a minefield for someone in their thirties, because the thought of a parallel universe where you became a world class archer or BMX rider are irresistible.

I just want to be a partner or even family member of an Olympic athlete so I can do a weird awkward interview with the BBC.

mothman

... Just after an in-studio pundit says your relation's silver or bronze medal isn't that impressive really...

buttgammon

Quote from: Thursday on July 26, 2021, 12:25:35 AM
I just want to be a partner or even family member of an Olympic athlete so I can do a weird awkward interview with the BBC.

That would be fun. My partner is a very good swimmer and we were just talking earlier about how if she'd stuck with it when she was younger, she may even have ended up competing for Ireland in the Olympics, so this may have actually happened.

Mr Eggs

Hate the olympics. Absolutely sucked in to watch all this bollocks when i'm pissed.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: buttgammon on July 26, 2021, 12:38:58 AM
That would be fun. My partner is a very good swimmer and we were just talking earlier about how if she'd stuck with it when she was younger, she may even have ended up competing for Ireland in the Olympics, so this may have actually happened.

She can still go for the euros?

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

BMX, land it (a gold, for Tom Pidcock)

Super Monday here lads

Norton Canes

Love how the Ineos Grenadiers guys are roping in the wins when they're not riding for their team

Spode

See Tom Daley and his mate have fell in the pool at the same time

Mr Eggs

Gulftastic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Mr Eggs

We all have to suck cock for the new Captain Tom.

daf

Quote from: Mr Eggs on July 26, 2021, 08:54:19 AM
We all have to suck cock for the new Captain Tom.

Commencing countdown, engines on

WhoMe

Which obscure sport do people look forward to during the Olympics then? Do like the table tennis, doubles especially.

sevendaughters

Quote from: WhoMe on July 26, 2021, 12:25:07 PM
Which obscure sport do people look forward to during the Olympics then? Do like the table tennis, doubles especially.

I am an unashamed sports wanker so I try and watch nearly everything if I can. Living in the UK some of the sports that we have no representation in like baseball mean I have to go to dodgy streams, but I will if I can.

It'd be easier if I said which ones I don't want to see: any on a horse.

gilbertharding

Quote from: mothman on July 25, 2021, 09:35:48 PM
I've probably told this story before, but in New Zealand they really don't like the British. Genuinely. Never mind they're all mostly descended from us. So watching the Olympics over there was a surreal experience. Because they WOULD NOT show any event that had a British participant. Unless - and only if - there was also a Kiwi entrant. So we got to see the Brits win some rowing. But they cut away from the award ceremony as soon as the New Zealand crew had been awarded their bronze medals.

You would, I'm pretty sure, be hard pushed to see any event in the UK which didn't feature a British person who was in with a chance to medal [sic]. But then, surely that's fairly standard in whichever country you're watching - isn't it? Mind you - I have definitely watched medal ceremonies with no GB involvement. Dunno.

Funny story though!

Norton Canes

Which obscure sport do people look forward to during the Olympics then?

Enjoyed the handball the last couple of times round.

WhoMe

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 26, 2021, 12:29:31 PM
It'd be easier if I said which ones I don't want to see: any on a horse.

Yeah, the least relatable as a viewer I think.
I would watch jousting though.

buttgammon

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 26, 2021, 12:55:30 PM
Enjoyed the handball the last couple of times round.

Handball is a lot of fun but I haven't got to see any of it yet (admittedly, I haven't checked if it's started).

When the games were in London, I had access to dozens of digital channels that showed pretty much everything, so I tried to watch a bit of everything. The real revelations were handball and archery.

Thursday

Always curious how some of these lesser known sports get by when the audience and coverage outside of The Olympics is less than a non league football club. I guess they don't and they have office jobs and such.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Blind football

chveik

Quote from: Thursday on July 26, 2021, 01:19:08 PM
Always curious how some of these lesser known sports get by when the audience and coverage outside of The Olympics is less than a non league football club. I guess they don't and they have office jobs and such.

yep, and government grants

mikeyg27

Quote from: buttgammon on July 26, 2021, 01:01:50 PM
Handball is a lot of fun but I haven't got to see any of it yet (admittedly, I haven't checked if it's started).

It's started, Men's and Women's. Logistically all the major team sports have to run for the entire length of the Games (or even before in the case of Football) what with the number of teams and the need for rest days.

I even started playing Handball after 2012, though I've had to stop since. The major problem it has in this country is that we don't build sports halls big enough for full handball courts - I think there are 4-5 in London, and most of those were built for the London games. The training facility in Barking had a load but they got taken out for 5-a-side pitches (OLYMPIC LEGACY LADS). The Copper Box still remains though and is the nicest arena in London.

El Unicornio, mang

Just looking at the future Olympic host cities. Los Angeles 2028 sounds proper dystopian 80s sci-fi movie. Given how bad their homeless problem is currently and the rich/poor divide widening, might actually resemble that by then too.

buttgammon

Quote from: mikeyg27 on July 26, 2021, 01:27:22 PM
It's started, Men's and Women's. Logistically all the major team sports have to run for the entire length of the Games (or even before in the case of Football) what with the number of teams and the need for rest days.

I even started playing Handball after 2012, though I've had to stop since. The major problem it has in this country is that we don't build sports halls big enough for full handball courts - I think there are 4-5 in London, and most of those were built for the London games. The training facility in Barking had a load but they got taken out for 5-a-side pitches (OLYMPIC LEGACY LADS). The Copper Box still remains though and is the nicest arena in London.

Thanks! I must check it out. It's such a shame that stuff like that inevitably gets pissed away.

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 26, 2021, 01:36:54 PM
Just looking at the future Olympic host cities. Los Angeles 2028 sounds proper dystopian 80s sci-fi movie. Given how bad their homeless problem is currently and the rich/poor divide widening, might actually resemble that by then too.

I'm half-thinking of writing some dystopian thing where Dublin bids for the Olympics, wins and uses it as an excuse to bulldoze all of the homeless people into the Liffey. The worrying thing is that it doesn't sound that remote from the reality.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Yeah you're right. Dublin winning the Olympics bid reads as pure fantasy.

WhoMe

Japan vs China table tennis mixed doubles gold match now. Some insane rallies, Japan coming back into it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p09pjzbn/olympics-day-3-red-button-table-tennis