Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:18:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fully jabbed arrivals from the EU and US won't have to isolate

Started by Fambo Number Mive, July 28, 2021, 03:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

I understand that this is also meant to boost the economy and in particular the tourism industry, but given that fully vaccinated people can still catch and spread coronavirus (although it is less likely once you are fully jabbed) this seems like a very bad idea.

In particular, given how the US message is that vaccinated people don't need to wear masks and how many US states are experiencing a significant rises in cases, allowing arrivals from the US who have had both jabs not to isolate seems very risky.

QuoteThe government said the rule change would help to reunite family and friends whose loved ones live abroad

Which I get, but I still think that it would have been sensible to wait until 90% of the adult UK population had had their second jab and when cases were lower. As it is, this increases the risk of new variants coming into the UK. One wonder how Biden feels about this given people in the US are advised not to visit the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57999362

Endicott

It seems to me that there was an inconsistency - get jabbed in the UK and you could go to an amber and then come back without isolating (but have to take a test). But if you live in an amber EU and got jabbed there, you can't. It might be the same type of vaccine but as you received it in the EU and not the UK, it's not recognised. I thought that inconsistency was pretty dumb.

nugget

Quote from: Endicott on July 28, 2021, 04:05:39 PM
It seems to me that there was an inconsistency - get jabbed in the UK and you could go to an amber and then come back without isolating (but have to take a test). But if you live in an amber EU and got jabbed there, you can't. It might be the same type of vaccine but as you received it in the EU and not the UK, it's not recognised. I thought that inconsistency was pretty dumb.

Yeah, this is it. It was always in the plans once they scrapped the quarantine requirements for NHS-vaccinated travellers, I think the delay for accepting EU/US issued certificates was largely blamed on 'technical' issues. It's funny how many European countries had no such technical issues accepting NHS-vaccination certificates. As a Brit living in Germany, it's been very galling for me to know that fully-vaccinated Brits were free to come here without testing, potentially spread delta around, then fuck off home again, while I couldn't even go back to the UK to visit my family, despite living in a country where the incidence rate is 30 times lower, and being fully vaccinated with one of the same vaccines used in the UK.

katzenjammer

^^ me too. Fully vaxxed and had annual leave this week with a view to going from Spain to the UK to see family for the first time in two years, but no, fuckwit Britain wouldn't accept forrin vaccinated people despite them being exactly the same vaccines from exactly the same companies.

Theremin

Quote from: katzenjammer on July 29, 2021, 09:03:56 AM
^^ me too. Fully vaxxed and had annual leave this week with a view to going from Spain to the UK to see family for the first time in two years, but no, fuckwit Britain wouldn't accept forrin vaccinated people despite them being exactly the same vaccines from exactly the same companies.

Ditto! Very surprised to hear I couldn't pop over to plague island.