Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:55:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ideas to encourage more people to get jabbed?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, August 10, 2021, 06:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Here's a good idea from Sussex University (incidentaly, where I studied)

QuoteA university is offering cash prizes of £5,000 to students who can prove they have been fully vaccinated against Covid-19, in an effort to incentivise take-up of the jab.

All students at Sussex University are being entered into a draw, with 10 winners receiving £5,000 if they can prove they are double-jabbed or are medically exempt from having the vaccine.

...The prize draw will take place at the end of November to allow students time to get vaccinated.

"We're going to automatically enter every student in, and unless they have said they want to opt out, after we've given them the opportunity to have vaccines – this will be about 12 weeks after the announcement – we'll just randomly choose 10 names," Tickell told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

"If they can prove they've been double-vaccinated, or indeed if they are medically exempt, we'll make them the award."

He added: "We're not bribing them. What we're doing is we're just giving an incentive."...

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/aug/07/sussex-university-offers-5000-prize-for-vaccinated-students-coronavirus

Nightclubs are also offering COVID jabs. What other ideas do you have for getting more people to get jabbed?

Personally I think putting more pressure on social media companies to remove antivax misinformation would be one idea.

Chedney Honks

Give them a fortnight to do it and if they don't shoot them in the back.

vanilla.coffee

Please don't show this thread to that monk wanker.

chveik

Fambo Number Mive

One idea would be to help people who don't have time to get jabbed, such as people working several jobs, by doing what they did in the USA and having vaccination trucks.

Quote...The party wasn't just a way to have a good time. The real motivation was to get people in the community vaccinated against Covid-19. Nestled between the food trucks were ones offering Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines.

In the minds of the public health and community organizers who staged it, it was a roaring success. Sixty-four people got vaccinated within six hours. Hannah Tello, a community health data manager at the nonprofit Greater Lowell Health Alliance, noted that it was eight to 10 times as many vaccinations as what their mobile clinics had been doing; their most successful day before this administered 12.

The people who got shots at the party "were not people who were resistant," Dr. Tello told me. Outreach workers went to a nearby park and invited the homeless people there to get free food and, if they wanted, a vaccination, and many took them up on the offer in such a low-stakes, nonmedical setting...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/06/opinion/covid-delta-vaccines-unvaccinated.html

Dr Rock

I think the 'carrot and stick' approach is probably best. If they won't get vaccinated hit them repeatedly with carrots and sticks.

I do wonder how many holdouts are just "real men" who can't admit they are afraid of needles.

jonbob

How about telling people they stop them getting a deadly disease?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It seems like the best way to get through to antivaxxers is to appeal to their paranoia. e.g. "Is billionaire X spreading antivax propaganda to help the virus, so that foreign government Y can take over and stockpile our gold...?"

George Oscar Bluth II

I think we spend a lot of time worrying about hardcore, redpilled antivaxxers who believe everything they read on Facebook and go to rallies for that crank nurse when a good proportion of the unvaccinated will be people who literally can't afford to have a day off to get vaccinated and can't risk a bad day of side effects afterwards.

So for that obviously we need to create a society where the poorest aren't chained to their terrible jobs day after day. Since we can't do that in the next month I suggest:

- door to door vaccination teams, register and they'll come to you at a time that suits you
- the VAXX LOTTERY: a scaled up version of that Sussex Uni thing. Some absurd sum of money[nb]I'm talking Euromillions level, £100m or something[/nb] will go to ONE PERSON WHO GOT VACCINATED BEFORE THE END OF SEPTEMBER. Maybe the govt could dish out cash to councils to run the same thing in their area for smaller prizes
- End the absurd eight week delay for second doses, stop turning people away, the vaccines were tested with a three week delay, it's fine
- Engagement with marginalised communities. They're doing a lot of this, mostly with mosques it seems, but we need to go further. Have a vaccination centre with Polish speaking staff in your local Polski Sklep or whatever. Stop waiting for people to find you, find them.

I'm a white middle class work from home guy and I found it difficult to carve out the hour or so I needed to go to my local mega vaxx centre, can imagine it's much harder for people in worse positions.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on August 11, 2021, 10:51:49 AM
I do wonder how many holdouts are just "real men" who can't admit they are afraid of needles.

Tell them Purple Aki will be around to feel their biceps if they don't get it.

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on August 11, 2021, 03:15:44 PM
I think we spend a lot of time worrying about hardcore, redpilled antivaxxers who believe everything they read on Facebook and go to rallies for that crank nurse when a good proportion of the unvaccinated will be people who literally can't afford to have a day off to get vaccinated and can't risk a bad day of side effects afterwards.

- Engagement with marginalised communities. They're doing a lot of this, mostly with mosques it seems, but we need to go further. Have a vaccination centre with Polish speaking staff in your local Polski Sklep or whatever. Stop waiting for people to find you, find them.

I work with a lot of eastern Europeans and a large number of them are hardcore, redpilled anti-vaxxers.

The problem is their healthcare systems back home. There's a real culture of going to a GP or hospital and paying for whatever treatment you want. Whilst doctors will advise you as to what's best, they won't turn down money or risk having people find out that they had "bad service" (ie, not being prescribed something or being referred for something). So if someone turns up with a kid with a cold, asking for antibiotics, they'll prescribe antibiotics. If you turn up with a headache and ask for a CT scan, they'll give you a CT scan. They're absolutely bonkers for branded medication too; people paying for prescriptions for bog standard vitamin C tablets in a fancy box to fix a cold.

Free healthcare is looked down upon, simply because you can't always get what you want. Back home it's associated with poverty, so a lot of people won't touch it because of the stigma. Trust in the NHS among eastern European immigrants is very low, as they take their kid to the GP with a cold and wonder why they won't prescribe anything beyond Calpol. "The doctors here want to kill our children" is a common refrain that I hear.

So when there's a free medication for something you don't have, provided by the government and NHS who you don't trust, not to mention the conspiracy theories on top, you're largely on a hiding to nothing. The only thing I've seen move the needle is the promise that you don't have to isolate after travelling if you're double vaxxed.

Fr.Bigley

That says more about the new cohort of students needing persuasion, a cash incentive for you jonny,

"what is it you're studying again? Virology?! Wonderful, and we still can't convince you? The tiktok following will be huge....so you will? Brilliant".

Little cunts.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 11, 2021, 08:19:13 AM
One idea would be to help people who don't have time to get jabbed, such as people working several jobs, by doing what they did in the USA and having vaccination trucks.

I guess this varies by area, but Lewisham council has a vaccine bus that pitches up somewhere different every day and you can get a walk-up vaccine.

https://twitter.com/LewishamCouncil/status/1425856049446281223

Fambo Number Mive