Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:57:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fantasy Football 2021 - 2022

Started by holyzombiejesus, August 09, 2021, 10:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Here's the C&B League link - https://fantasy.premierleague.com/leagues/auto-join/9pxg78

Here's the Head to Head league (which I actually preferred last season) - https://fantasy.premierleague.com/leagues/auto-join/opsm1v

Grealish currently at 8m and already picked by nearly a third off all managers.

Crabwalk

I'm definitely up for some hot head2head action this season

Sgt. Duckie

holyzombiejesus

This year, I have added an exciting knockout cup to the proceedings.
Has everyone else got Grealish and Toney?

Mobius

I've joined but for some reason my team name is "Pending Moderation" - can't even remember what I typed in there but it wasn't that.

phes

fired last year's manager into the cunting exosphere

fun fact but Jose Mourinho is actually my manager

holyzombiejesus

Come on, spill beans. Need some idea of what to do.

Apparently, even though most are probably tempted by playing at least 2 up front, it's the defence and midfield where the points are so may just go for one quality forward and 2 cheapos.

Will the huge transfer fees for Grealish (and presumably Kane) mean they'll dodge Guardiola's rotation?

Chelsea are even more of a nightmare to predict due to rotation. Lukaku's coming in at 11.5 but not sure if he'll even start for a while yet.

phes

Dont play one up top. You'll either have money rotting on the bench most weeks or your bench will be useless because the players will never be played by their teams. 5 at the back is usually steered clear of also, though there is the occasional regularly successful manager that swears by it. Picking a 442, 352 or 343 gives you the best chance of not putting yourself in a hole within a few games

re Grealish, nobody really knows. Kane would seem more likely guaranteed to start because Jesus is crap and Kane is a big lump who needs regular football 

chveik

grealish doesn't have great stats, he'll probably score/assist more in a dominant team but he'll also have to acclimate himself to pep ball (and i expect he'll keep rotating as usual)

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: phes on August 12, 2021, 09:03:17 PM
Picking a 442, 352 or 343 gives you the best chance of not putting yourself in a hole within a few games

You're not going to get much vfm with 3 up front and just 3 at the back, surely?

Quote from: chveik on August 12, 2021, 09:24:45 PM
grealish doesn't have great stats, he'll probably score/assist more in a dominant team but he'll also have to acclimate himself to pep ball (and i expect he'll keep rotating as usual)

I'm struggling to buy any players from City and Chelsea who are going to get any guaranteed game time. Thinking of swapping Fernandes for Greenwood and spending the surplus on either Kane or Lukaku but hard to know.

phes

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 12, 2021, 09:39:03 PM
You're not going to get much vfm with 3 up front and just 3 at the back, surely?

Last year's value performers were

Bamford 194 (5.5)
DCL 165 (7)

In the case of DCL he seems to blow hot for half a season and cold for the other half, so one half would have offered exceptional points per million per game. I get that it seems unintuitive that defenders appear to offer the best value for money, but that just doesn't translate to FPL success over the course of a season. Though it is gradually creeping closer to that.

I think the reasons it doesn't translate are twofold: firstly, first choice lower and lower-mid price strikers have a much higher ceiling than almost all defenders. A 5-8.5 striker could easily rack up 200 points (e.g Bamford, Ings, Jiminez etc). There are only a couple of defenders capable of that and you'll own one or two of these already. All other acceptable defenders will be around 100-150. Secondly, If you load more money into defence because it offers more value you will find it difficult to capitalise on these low/low-mid price strikers hitting great runs of from/fixtures. It's picking up these players that have a higher ceiling than defenders at the right times that allows you to maximise points over a season. Edit: and also pushes your team value up

Conversely, If you were setting a team in a competition where teams stayed untouched then it would quite possibly be won by a five at the back team

phes

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 12, 2021, 09:39:03 PM
I'm struggling to buy any players from City and Chelsea who are going to get any guaranteed game time. Thinking of swapping Fernandes for Greenwood and spending the surplus on either Kane or Lukaku but hard to know.

Virtually no well known, successful manager is touching City, Chelsea, Lukaku or Kane yet (a few are going with Mahrez), which contributes to setting the template for a huge number of top teams. If you follow this template you may still be wrong, but you won't be falling behind the teams that will end up dominating the top few hundred thousand places come GW38

If it's a struggle it's probably a sign it's a bad idea

Every year a clear template emerges amongst the most active managers on twitter and various other message boards. It lacks innovation because most managers that do fairly well are - initially - conservative. Given it could be easily found by searching those terms I might as well put it here

It would be something like

Sanchez (foster)
TAA, Shaw, Veltman, White (+ a cheapie)
Salah, Bruno, Raphina, Jota (+ a cheapie)
Antonio, Ings, Toney 

In recent years the groupthink template has seen people make ok to good starts, but also seen them miss out on big wins that people who are not blinded by the template saw coming or happened onto

Mobius

I must be really thick, I can't see where you can change your formation?

phes

You don't need to select a formation, it selects automatically when you drag players in or out of your team and you can change it any time you wish. But the formation you intend to play will influence your player choices, or vice versa

Mobius

Quote from: phes on August 12, 2021, 10:31:07 PM
You don't need to select a formation, it selects automatically when you drag players in or out of your team and you can change it any time you wish. But the formation you intend to play will influence your player choices, or vice versa

Ah yep I see, got it now thank you :) I haven't done a Fantasy Football for so many years, usually give up a few weeks in but going to try and stick with this!

Anyway here's the lads of the temporarily named "Pending Moderation"

EOLAN

Just to confuse things, I decided to go with team name Moderation Pending.

Chollis

fuck's sake, just set mine up now and missed the whole gameweek apparently! season OVER.

Mr_Simnock

me too, but didn't set the team up, cba this year

Chollis

Quote from: Chollis on August 13, 2021, 08:11:45 PM
fuck's sake, just set mine up now and missed the whole gameweek apparently! season OVER.

had Fernandes captained as well. definitely binning FF this year :D

RDRR

trying to restrain myself from triple captaining fernandes against southampton next week. like to get the chips out of the way as early as possible so i don't have to think too much

ersatz99

Wildcarded the lot of them for this week. We go again.

holyzombiejesus

I used my wildcard this week too and was quite happy with my squad until the Ronaldo announcement. Currently got DCL, Antonio and Lukaku up front and Bruno and Greenwood behind them. Ideally will sack off both the MU midfielders, buy Son and AN Other but no idea who to swap for the Portuguese rapist.
Oh, just remembered, people will be doing that fucking Ronalado thing again, won't they? Fucks sake.

Lost Oliver

wildcard for me too after a dreadful start. already down about 0.5m too somehow. I hate this game.

Do we think we need Ronaldo? I think we probs do. Will be on pens I imagine too. Deffo takes away some of the Bruno threat

phes

WC for me too this week. My team is doing just fine but on balance I think this IB represents a better/more fun time to play. There is so much happening in terms of little fixture swings, new players and potential absences that it's an opportunity to steal a march on people (or blow it) then build towards the more obvious moves people will be using WCs on further down the line

holyzombiejesus

Ronaldo already on almost 10% ownership. Seems to be have funded by people flogging either Bruno or Lukaku.

phes

Quite happy with that. Always found 2 x 12.5 players to be a stretch too far and Salah and Lukaku look a great captain double act over the next few weeks. Hopefully we'll also see plenty of people tear up their teams to fit in Lukaku, Ronaldo and Salah.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: phes on September 01, 2021, 03:19:24 PM
Quite happy with that. Always found 2 x 12.5 players to be a stretch too far and Salah and Lukaku look a great captain double act over the next few weeks. Hopefully we'll also see plenty of people tear up their teams to fit in Lukaku, Ronaldo and Salah.

So you're not bothering with Ronaldo?

phes

It's not in my plans yet. I've seen enough of Lukaku/Chelsea in the last couple of games to invest in Lukaku and back him now rather than wait for GW6

Lost Oliver

Ronaldo just seems so dominant, he's gonna demolish Newcastle. Might just be worth getting in for that one game and then ditching. I had a terrible start so the only way I can get Lukaku in is if I get rid of either TAA, Salah or Bruno and it's looking like Bruno. Based entirely on the way they've played together for Portugal. But who knows.