Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:57:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Series 13: Goodbye, Mr. Chibs

Started by Norton Canes, August 10, 2021, 01:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

Also not to harp on about the Timeless Child too much, but he's made his own chorus inaccurate now. It should go:

Celery, recorder, jelly babies as well
It's the Doctor, you can tell
An unknown and vast number of secret faces have travelled far and wide before what we originally knew as the first one (including one from Ireland who may or may not have existed)
With faithful companions at their side

daf

With Bill Hartnell, Pete Cushing, Pat Troughton,
Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Pete Davison,
Rich Hurndall, Col Baker, Sylv McCoy,
Paul McGann, Chris Eccleston, Dave Tennant,
Matt Smith, John Hurt, Pete Capaldi,
Dave Bradley, Jodie Whittaker, Jo Martin
Old Uncle Ko Sharmus and aaaaall . . .
Old Uncle Ko Sharmus and all.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Replies From View on August 15, 2021, 06:25:43 AMFocuses more on the lack of publicity than the crapness of the writing.  When it complains about Chibnall's storytelling the criticism is double-edged:  "edutainment of Classic Who".

Oh I dunno, this seems pretty damning:

Quote[Patel & Alderton] are marvellous writers... ...and Whittaker is clearly charismatic – but it can all fall flat without a creatively ambitious showrunner who cannot keep the human heart of the Doctor beating.

Too often, it felt like Whittaker was made to channel other Doctors, unable to craft her own. What Doctor Who needs next is a showrunner who can marry the crummy and the extraordinary together...

and the last paragraph:

QuoteHowever, if you don't have a strong showrunner steering the ship in a clear direction, and your expedition isn't shown off to the world, of course the ship will seem like it's lost, bound to sink. And right now, Doctor Who is taking on water.

I agree, he does rather bizarrely say:

QuoteNo, what truly plagues the show is a lack of promotion...

...but after all, why would someone want to promote stuff with such a showrunner?

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Replies From View on August 10, 2021, 02:16:41 PM
I wonder how many of us will actually bother watching the rest of Chibnall's tenure.  I haven't seen Revolution of the Daleks yet and have no intention to.

I stopped years ago, I'd recommend it.

Incidentally

I didn't know they made them that bad these days.

BritishHobo

They've officially finished filming, I believe. Not sure if that includes the three specials, or if it's just the series. I hope it's the latter - with these rumours about production potentially leaving Cardiff, I'll be gutted if I've forever missed the opportunity to see them filming. I never got to visit the Doctor Who Experience, give me this at least.

I did go back to where it all (re)started the other day, and visited the location where the now-cancelled Mickey Smith was eaten by a wheelie bin in front of Clive's house in Rose. Searching for my own black bin ironically, which got nicked last week. Neither bin was there, which is frustrating, as even an unconvincing burping Auton bin would be preferable to the fly-ridden pile of binbags stinking up my front garden. On second thoughts England can have Doctor Who. Fucking fed up. Good luck with it.

Norton Canes

Was in Cardiff (Penarth actually) a few weeks ago, first time for ages, I've never been one for pilgrimages to Who locations but thought I should do at least one, so checked for the one nearest our place and it turned out to be the road where Tennant gets shot by the Dalek and semi-regenerates (semigenerates?). Bit nondescript really, can say I've been there though I suppose.

Malcy

Quote from: BritishHobo on August 15, 2021, 11:16:56 PM
They've officially finished filming, I believe. Not sure if that includes the three specials, or if it's just the series.

I seen a rumour that the second special was filming. Something about Pirates & China and the Chinese government has read the script and been offended so a load of bollocks probably.

BritishHobo

That makes sense, as apparently they were filming last month
Spoiler alert
on Cardiff Bay with an "Asian boat", following a casting call asking for Southeast Asian actors.
[close]
If that is for one of the specials then I guess they might well have knocked out all the specials as well. This assuming whatever source I read (can't remember) was right about filming being complete.

Norton Canes

Replies From View

Quote from: BritishHobo on August 16, 2021, 01:51:31 PM
Spoiler alert
on Cardiff Bay with an "Asian boat", following a casting call asking for Southeast Asian actors.
[close]
If that is for one of the specials then I guess they might well have knocked out all the specials as well. This assuming whatever source I read (can't remember) was right about filming being complete.

Whatever happens, I sincerely hope the outcome is offensively stereotypical.

Ambient Sheep

To give him one of the few bits of credit to which he is entitled, Chibnall can hardly be accused of racial insensitivity.

Kelvin

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on August 16, 2021, 04:32:29 PM
To give him one of the few bits of credit to which he is entitled, Chibnall can hardly be accused of racial insensitivity.

Reckon removing an Asian Master's perception filter so he'll be caught by the Nazis might be a teensy bit insensitive.   

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Kelvin on August 16, 2021, 04:44:44 PM
Reckon removing an Asian Master's perception filter so he'll be caught by the Nazis might be a teensy bit insensitive.

Oh fuck, I completely forgot about that.  I was thinking about stuff like Rosa and Demons of the Punjab.

I withdraw my previous statement and now prepare myself for sub-Weng-Chiang-ness. :-)

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Kelvin on August 16, 2021, 04:44:44 PM

still seething at making a fucking fake comic-book-villain-esque character be an actual nazi

H-O-W-L

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on August 16, 2021, 05:16:52 PM
still seething at making a fucking fake comic-book-villain-esque character be an actual nazi

Hail Hydra Rassilon

Quote from: BritishHobo on August 16, 2021, 01:51:31 PM
Spoiler alert
[close]
If that is for one of the specials then I guess they might well have knocked out all the specials as well.

Two of the three specials are part of the 8-ep S13 production run; the BBC centenary special will be made separately (unless they were fibbing).

Replies From View

Replies From View

The Roofdog

Anyone still buying DWM? Main cover story this month seems to be something about 60s missing episodes, cover image is a picture of Hartnell - in the month we got a new series trailer and the announcement of a new Doctor and showrunner. Seems a bit odd, was wondering how much new series coverage there is in there these days. I suppose Chibs just gives them fuck all to work with.

Malcy

Quote from: The Roofdog on August 17, 2021, 02:52:36 PM
Anyone still buying DWM? Main cover story this month seems to be something about 60s missing episodes, cover image is a picture of Hartnell - in the month we got a new series trailer and the announcement of a new Doctor and showrunner. Seems a bit odd, was wondering how much new series coverage there is in there these days. I suppose Chibs just gives them fuck all to work with.

Been a long time since I read it. I have dozens downloaded that I've never got round to reading. Think there's a Chibnall interview in it as well stating why he and Jodie are leaving. You think that would have been the cover picture or main story.

Replies From View

Are they announcing the rediscovery of any missing episodes?  Or just promoting Web of Fear and Evil of the Daleks DVDs?

mjwilson

Supposed to be people taking about their memories of missing episode I think.

The Roofdog

Well we all like to reminisce about the old days when Doctor Who was still on the telly

mothman

Did you know people used to hide behind the sofa when it was on?

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: mothman on August 17, 2021, 05:45:46 PM
Did you know people used to hide behind the sofa when it was on?

never seemed to me to be a common thing where the sofa was anywhere but against the wall. who are all these talking heads in their palatial sized living rooms

mothman

I know, right? I hid in the hallway and peeked round the door.

GoblinAhFuckScary

i am simply too brave to have done that.

Endicott

This is roughly typical of the settee in my aunt's terrace house. The steep rake of the back means there's still a gap at the bottom even when it's up against the wall.

When the yeti's were first on I would have been about 5, and they scared the shit out of me. It was pretty easy to get in behind the settee at that age.