Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:10:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pubs then

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, August 17, 2021, 10:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RetroRobot

Quote from: king_tubby on August 18, 2021, 10:44:55 AM
I love the Brudenell, been going for nearly 25 years and it's amazing what Nathan has done with it, but I wouldn't go there for a pint unless I was also going to a gig.

Brudenell Social Club? Chuffing mint and only round the corner from me. Love it.

RetroRobot

Quote from: Psybro on August 18, 2021, 11:54:09 AM
The Rutland is my favourite pub. It's not the best or nicest in Sheffield but the way it hasn't fully committed to being anything but itself appeals to me.

The Lincolnshire Poacher was great to pop into before a gig at the Maze. I think Castle Rock pubs are fantastic generally, thinking of the Vat & Fiddle, Newshouse and Canal House in Nottingham, New Barrack Tavern in Sheffield and Golden Eagle in Lincoln.

Re: Rutland, any bar decorated in lefty protest signs, tie fighters and figures of Luigi is a good pub. Plus their steak sarnies are perfect after a few beers.

phes

Quote from: RetroRobot on August 18, 2021, 01:05:03 PM
Brudenell Social Club? Chuffing mint and only round the corner from me. Love it.
I've not used it all that often for gigs as others do, and it was my local for years as I lived on one of the Thornvilles. It's a proper pub, despite all the add-ons making it sound like it's all bells and whistles. Favourite place to watch a daytime football match at the weekend

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 18, 2021, 12:36:35 PM
Count me as another Seven Stars fan. It's the only pub in London I go out of my way to visit, though it's close enough to Gordon's under the bridge and Two Temple Place (wacky museum with stuff in it) that I can make a day out of it.

Thirded. Great pub. I forget but isn't the owner and dresser of cats called something almost beyond parody like Hattie Beaujolais or Lottie Bojangles or something?

phes

Quote from: RetroRobot on August 18, 2021, 01:09:08 PM
Re: Rutland, any bar decorated in lefty protest signs, tie fighters and figures of Luigi is a good pub. Plus their steak sarnies are perfect after a few beers.

The toilet graffiti usually throws up at least a chuckle

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 18, 2021, 01:13:45 PM
Thirded. Great pub. I forget but isn't the owner and dresser of cats called something almost beyond parody like Hattie Beaujolais or Lottie Bojangles or something?

Haha, it's Roxy Beaujolais.

I remember when I was in that pub with my gf and went up to the bar, a judge/legal type started speaking to me and then pointed to where my gf was sitting and said "is she with you?", I told him that she was and then just as it came time to pay for my drinks and take them back he said "don't worry about it sir, these are on me, just make sure you tell her she's beautiful". Felt like it was becoming a bit indecent proposal but a free drink is a free drink...

Also remembered the toilets upstairs in that place, it always feels like going into someone's lived-in attic.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteAlso remembered the toilets upstairs in that place, it always feels like going into someone's lived-in attic.

I love that, it really underlines the age of the building. Whitelock's in Leeds too, the stairs to their toilets are a bit similar.

Ferris

Haha I also liked the bogs! It's up those mad stairs and you think "well this can't be right..."

beanheadmcginty

I always like a pub chock full of mad ornamental shite, so the best one for me was the Montague Arms in New Cross. Taxidermied zebras pulling a coach and actual human skeletons were among the highlights. I think it's closed or refurbished now though sadly.
Elsewhere, the karaoke nights at the Globe on Morning Lane in Hackney are absolutely superb.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on August 18, 2021, 01:51:54 PM
I always like a pub chock full of mad ornamental shite, so the best one for me was the Montague Arms in New Cross. Taxidermied zebras pulling a coach and actual human skeletons were among the highlights. I think it's closed or refurbished now though sadly.
Elsewhere, the karaoke nights at the Globe on Morning Lane in Hackney are absolutely superb.

Most recent review from 2 years ago complains that 'new owners have eviscerated it, turned it into a generic hotel bar piece of nothing'. It is now permanently closed.

RetroRobot

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 18, 2021, 01:29:27 PM
I love that, it really underlines the age of the building. Whitelock's in Leeds too, the stairs to their toilets are a bit similar.

Wharf Chambers had great bog graffiti but they've covered up most of it recently

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: RetroRobot on August 18, 2021, 03:17:28 PM
Wharf Chambers had great bog graffiti but they've covered up most of it recently

What chambers is an uber woke hole where even the staff are scared to open their mouths for fear of dismissal. Needs shutting down, dangerous set of ideologies there.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on August 18, 2021, 03:19:26 PM
What chambers is an uber woke hole where even the staff are scared to open their mouths for fear of dismissal. Needs shutting down, dangerous set of ideologies there.

Huh?!

RetroRobot

Did you say something bigoted and get kicked out?

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: RetroRobot on August 18, 2021, 03:26:21 PM
Did you say something bigoted and get kicked out?

On the contrary, I was part of the leedsbid group and some of the horror stories from management and first hand experience would make your skin crawl. There's a safe space then there's so.ething tantamount to fascism. The horror stories are out there, just look in front of your nose.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on August 18, 2021, 03:37:03 PM
On the contrary, I was part of the leedsbid group and some of the horror stories from management and first hand experience would make your skin crawl. There's a safe space then there's so.ething tantamount to fascism. The horror stories are out there, just look in front of your nose.

Or, since you're the one throwing assertions around, how about you back them up?

Fr.Bigley

I'm not casting any aspertions, I'm just saying as someone involved in that quarter of Leeds in the arts directly since Wharf was a thing, it's a place that can be construed as radical.

I'm not going into it here, too many advocates.

Whitelocks wins, though.

phes

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on August 18, 2021, 04:01:38 PM
I'm not casting any aspertions. 'm not going into it here

sounds like a sensb....

What chambers is an uber woke hole where even the staff are scared to open their mouths for fear of dismissal. Needs shutting down, dangerous set of ideologies there....I was part of the leedsbid group and some of the horror stories from management and first hand experience would make your skin crawl. There's a safe space then there's so.ething tantamount to fascism.

Oh

Cuellar

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on August 18, 2021, 03:37:03 PM
On the contrary

You said something woke and got kicked in?

Cuellar

Doesn't that say it's not woke enough (at all)?

Fr.Bigley

It's a place of massive hypocrisy, ad hoc rule making and generally unpleasant. Cheap rum doesn't make up for the fact it's a place of contradiction.

purlieu

Ye Olde Thirsty Pig in Maidstone. A rickety 15th century place, tiny bar room downstairs usually occupied by old blokes, a narrow wonky staircase up to a number of wonderful wooden beamed rooms upstairs, always had a good range of local cask ales on. It's also located on the wonderfully named Knightrider Street.

The Old Windmill in Coventry is another marvellous old pub. Quite a busy city pub, but incredibly cosy with a lot of friendly, chatty locals. Has a lot of rooms, including a tiny snug with enough space for about three people. My partner and I spent a lovely winter's afternoon there in front of the fire a couple of years ago, chatting to various people.

Obviously these involve visiting Maidstone and Coventry, which in itself isn't advised.

SpiderChrist

I would like to nominate The Flying Pig, The Devonshire Arms, The Kingston Arms and The Free Press as worthy additions to the list of good Cambridge pubs.

There are no good pubs in Ely.

Fr.Bigley

Bingley arms in Bardsey, acknowledged as the oldest pub in England. GREAT food, if a little waspy in summer and you get to look at priest holes. (Ooer)

king_tubby

Lovely old pub, but I've never been impressed with the food or the beer.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Here are my thoughts on the better Leeds pubs (.. Well... scores! ):

Trying to just stick to pubs and pub adjacent (sorry Brownhill & Co) so no bars.

Whitelock's    8.9
Cardigan Arms      8.7
Brudenell Social Club      8.5
The Banker's Cat      8.1
Angel Inn   7.9
Kirkstall Bridge   7.9
Grove Inn   7.9
Arcadia   7.8
Duck & Drake   7.8
Wharf Chambers   7.7 (is it a pub though?)
The Chemic  7.7
Adelphi   7.6
Cross Keys   Leeds   7.5
Garden Gate   Leeds   7.5 (possibly closed for the time being)

Templar and The Ship miss out but they have a bit of charm.

The Grove could be a lot better if they ever heated the fucking place and put cushions in the snug. Note to owners: if I think it's cold and uncomfortable it definitely is. Also: Snug, clue is in the name.

Does show Leeds is much more of a bar than pub city as opposed to Sheffield (coming up)

Fr.Bigley

Missed out the victoria behind the town hall (when open) easy a 9 at the right time of year, nudging Xmas. Superbly pretty saloon bar.

Quote from: SpiderChrist on August 18, 2021, 05:17:43 PM
I would like to nominate The Flying Pig, The Devonshire Arms, The Kingston Arms and The Free Press as worthy additions to the list of good Cambridge pubs.

There are no good pubs in Ely.

Unfortunately the Flying Pig is DEAD SOON.  Landowner is set to demolish it in the autumn, because what Cambridge definitely needs is some 7 storey office blocks.

https://www.cambridgeindependent.co.uk/news/craig-bennett-let-s-get-together-and-save-the-flying-pig-pu-9209999/

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Sheffield now:

Fagans   9.1
Blake Hotel    8.5
The Gardener's Rest   8.5
The Red Deer   8.5
The Wellington   8.5
Shakespeare's    8.5
The Fat Cat   8.5
Sheaf View   8.5
White Lion   8.3
Brothers Arms   8.1
Rutland Arms   7.9   
Sheffield Tap    7.7    (until they sought the beer supply out)
Beer Engine   7.7
Bath Hotel   7.7
Cobden View. 7.6
Harlequin   7.6.    (considered not adding this on account of the unrepentant TERF landlady, choose wisely)
Hallamshire House   7.6

The Grapes and The Crow are in with a shout. Haven't been to the New Barrack, Broadfield or Sportsman but understand they're alright too. Greystones used to be. The Primrose wasn't too bad either. Oh god, The Closed Shop possibly just misses out but is decent.