Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:23:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Vegan stuff you recently tried

Started by gib, August 27, 2021, 09:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fr.Bigley

I had something called "soylent green", must be plant based, has soy in the name.

seepage

Quote from: SpiderChrist on August 28, 2021, 09:03:18 AM
Had a Papa John's vegan pizza. Made with vegan "sheese". Dreadful allergic reaction, turns out it's made with coconut oil. Fucking hell. Seems like the decent vegan cheeses either contain coconut or cashew, neither of which will do me any good. Back to a cheeseless existence.

As soon I sense the coconut oil I get a gag reflex, so no vegan "cheese" for me.

Sebastian Cobb

Apologies if it's not strictly vegan and is only merely vegetarian (threw away the can and can't remember) but that mock duck you can get in Asian grocers is great. Piece of piss way to make duck pancakes.

seepage

Quote from: rack and peanut on August 28, 2021, 04:51:04 AM
Oak tree restaurant in Leigh on Sea is excellent. Didn't ruin the meal by lobbing eggs everywhere.

Is that seitan stuff any good? Looks like they've jazzed up the décor a bit since I was last in there although the picture on the website next to the opening hours, of a woman forking a tomato into her gob while staring out the window with an expression like a close relative has just died, is a bit off-putting. Somehow ended up in there for a Christmas meal - rudimentary veggie grub in a plain white room with only a couple of tiny decorations as a nod to the season was pure desolation.     

AngryGazelle

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on August 28, 2021, 01:31:58 PM
Mmm, mechanically recovered plant-based meatalike!

It was the perfect easy dinner - and a fuck-load cheaper than a takeaway. I had it with veg and beans, so I at least added some nutritional value to the meal! All processed food is shite but it was pretty darn tasty.

Buelligan

Quote from: seepage on August 28, 2021, 02:00:53 PM
Is that seitan stuff any good? Looks like they've jazzed up the décor a bit since I was last in there although the picture on the website next to the opening hours, of a woman forking a tomato into her gob while staring out the window with an expression like a close relative has just died, is a bit off-putting. Somehow ended up in there for a Christmas meal - rudimentary veggie grub in a plain white room with only a couple of tiny decorations as a nod to the season was pure desolation.   

You had me, until the final sentence.  Fuck Xmas and its balls.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 28, 2021, 06:05:48 AM
Had carrot last night. Very disappointing but think the circumstances surrounding it may have been a contributing factor.

Found a julienne peeler in the drawer that Ms. Gregory got from a supermarket demonstration and honestly, changed my life with carrots.

Cloud

Really liking the Morrisons vegan rolls.  Prefer them to the real meat ones, genuinely.

Quite happy with the meat-free Ikea 'meatballs' also.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Mushroom burgers from the Aldi. Disappointingly bland and dry but that's probably cause I didn't have it with enough sauce or any good sauces. Also did it with cheese which i don't think is allowed under vegan laws

touchingcloth

chveik

Dusty Substance

I very rarely find vegan potato salad available in supermarkets so I was happy to find this in ALDI the other day: https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/p-plant-menu-vegan-potato-salad-300g/4088600225289

Not exactly healthy but at only 79p I grabbed a couple of them from the chiller. Pretty nice, too. Will definitely be getting it again but only as an occasional treat.

RetroRobot

Tried some tasty, cruelty-free and sustainable air. Was absolutely mint after a few pints. Sobered me right up too, it did.

The Mollusk

Yeah it's only not vegan if you cook it, which is a shame because it tastes awful raw.

Pink Gregory

what if you ferment it, that's not technically cooking

The Mollusk

I think if you have to remove it from the person at all in order to prepare it then you're on shaky ground.

Pink Gregory

Armin Meiwes enters the thread buzzing with enthusiasm

Dusty Substance

Slashed out in Poundstretcher today (Fnar, fnar etc.) and and got a pack Hills Biscuits Ginger Rings https://www.hillbiscuits.com/52_hill-ginger-rings-255g.html for 49p. Suitable for vegans and bloody delicious.

Cloud

Plant chef sausages.  Meh, quite tough and like a lot of vegan sausages WAYYY too heavy.  I shouldn't feel like I just had a 3 course meal from 1 bite of sausage.

Still, weirdly enough, think Richmonds are the best.

Dex Sawash

Had the vegan "wings" from the best wing place around with the embarrassingly awful shop name Heavenly Buffaloes. Strips of vegan shoe "leather" in the fondly recalled wing sauce from when I still ate meat. Maybe it was seitan, don't think I've had that before. 6/10

holyzombiejesus

Heck do some nice vegan 'Italia' chipolatas. They do them in Morrisons and Sainsburys and they're not as bulky or heavy as normal sausages. It feels a bit wrong buying vegan stuff from companies like Heck and Richmond who have made nearly all their money from meat - I'd never try McDonalds or Burger King's vegetarian offerings for that reason - but, fuck it, they're really nice (although will repeat on you all day, and they stink).

The Mollusk

If you find yourself knocking about in Soho like I regrettably was for two nights in a row this weekend, I massively recommend going to Neat Burger and getting the Smoke Stack. Fucking hell, best vegan burger I've ever eaten, an absolute greasefest, satisfyingly loaded with pickles/jalapeños and two hench onion rings, plus the fake gouda cheese was excellent. I inhaled it.

Jockice

I currently have a Pukka vegan chicken and mushroom pie in the oven, purchased a couple of days ago on my first visit to the new revamped local Tesco. I also bought a Pukka vegan steak and onion, which I've had before and also some Higgidy vegan pork pies. Which are quite nice. However, I ate a couple before reading the packaging and it says it contains peppers, which I don't generally like.

Not really a massive problem but it reminds me of the number of times members of my family have given me food containing something I don't like (and I can taste) but have eaten to be polite and then done all the: "You said you didn't like this particular foodstuff! Well you've just eaten it! So therefore must like it! You're not only a fussy eater but you're a dirty little liar as well! A total fake! A fraud! How can you even sleep at night when you're so completely intrinsically dishonest!"

Honestly, this has happened quite a few times. However not since my sister gave me a breadstick containing chili and then watched me spend twenty minutes retching after one bite. Which proved (at least to her) that when I say I don't like something I really don't like it. I'm not Sam I Am you know.

Anyway, must go. My pie's nearly ready.

(Revised copy. The pie's quite nice.)

Dex Sawash

gib

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 05, 2021, 08:25:39 AM
If you find yourself knocking about in Soho like I regrettably was for two nights in a row this weekend, I massively recommend going to Neat Burger and getting the Smoke Stack. Fucking hell, best vegan burger I've ever eaten, an absolute greasefest, satisfyingly loaded with pickles/jalapeños and two hench onion rings, plus the fake gouda cheese was excellent. I inhaled it.

This looks amazing. I was so disappointed when Red Veg closed down for whatever that station was that they built.

seepage

Finding St. Christopher's Place far too busy Saturday afternoon, I went over the opposite side of Oxford St. and wandered into 'Plants by de'. If I'd twigged "de" = Deliciously Ella I wouldn't have, but the two dishes I tried were very good: mushroom "scallops" with parsnip puree & parsnip "bacon", and cauliflower schnitzel with caper & shallot salsa.

flotemysost

Tried this the other day:

Not inedible but it doesn't really taste like tuna. And it had little blobs of clear jelly stuff dispersed throughout, like a Melton Mowbray pork pie or tinned cat food, which was a bit offputting. Even swirling a load of Sriracha mayo into it to make spicy vegan tuna mayo didn't really salvage the situation. It's a (tu)nah from me.