Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:25:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sean Lock has died

Started by Ham Bap, August 18, 2021, 11:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

A couple of episodes into a rewatch, inspired by this thread. Lucky enough to have the DVDs, but I'm lazy so I'm watching it on iPlayer. Never gotten anyone to watch it before, but delighted to find my partner really enjoying it.

I don't think I have appreciated before how good it does look, in its dim grimness, how much thought has gone into the visual side of things, really setting it apart from most other sitcoms. Enjoyed reading all the talk in here about Lock's art film influences. As has been pointed out, I love that it sets this miserable world, but only finds daft joy in it. Vince is such a horrible, misanthropic bellend, it should be a bleak life. But he's so blithely content with everything, at the end of the day, that it really sets it up from most other sitcoms, where the curmudgeon wants a better life, fucks it up, ends up unhappy. There are no stakes for Vince, he's happy where he is. There's no episode where Vince might get a better job, or a nice house, or whatever. If he can bully someone into earning him Clubcard points, and not have to share a sofa with them, that's genuinely a good day.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: imitationleather on August 28, 2021, 04:16:08 PM
I watched Ice Queen earlier. So many moments I remember from the series all packed into one episode. Glorious.
"I'm not the one swanning about like Chris Eubank"

Jock Macabre

The laughing track in episode six is insanely jarring at first. Can't tell if it was a satirical editorial choice by Lock and Trenaman, or if it was BBC, in their infinite fucking wisdom, trying to 'juge'(is that how you spell it,  no fucking idea) up a show they just patently didn't fucking understand. Either way, you learn to tune it out about halfway through.

An tSaoi

Quote from: Jock Macabre on August 29, 2021, 12:12:45 AM
The laughing track in episode six is insanely jarring at first.

Which episode is that? I don't remember a laugh track.

Jock Macabre

Quote from: An tSaoi on August 29, 2021, 01:49:48 AM
Which episode is that? I don't remember a laugh track.

Oh right, well it's on the version of S01E06 that they chucked on the iPlayer anyways.

studpuppet

Series 1 & 2 DVD back on Amazon for a sensible £4.99 (although you'll have to wait until the end of September for some lazy HGV driver to pull his finger out of his arse and deliver the bloody thing)

Re: Benedict Wong - no matter how far he goes, he'll still always be Yoko Ono in 'Ringo Remembers'.

Jackson K Pollock

Quote from: Jock Macabre on August 29, 2021, 12:12:45 AM
The laughing track in episode six is insanely jarring at first. Can't tell if it was a satirical editorial choice by Lock and Trenaman, or if it was BBC, in their infinite fucking wisdom, trying to 'juge'(is that how you spell it,  no fucking idea) up a show they just patently didn't fucking understand. Either way, you learn to tune it out about halfway through.

"Zhuzh", I think.

An tSaoi

Quote from: Jock Macabre on August 29, 2021, 05:12:13 AM
Oh right, well it's on the version of S01E06 that they chucked on the iPlayer anyways.

Wow, I've never heard the laugh track. It's not on the DVD.

BeardFaceMan

Feels a bit like that Jam extra where laughter was dubbed over a sketch, the laughter doesn't suit the style at all.

Late to the rewatch. Blue Rat, so far, has been wonderful.

Mark X

Quote from: An tSaoi on August 29, 2021, 01:28:43 PM
Wow, I've never heard the laugh track. It's not on the DVD.

It seems s1e6 was the original pilot, which was filmed and shown to a studio audience. The audience laughter certainly isn't on the DVD, and I'm pretty damn sure it wasn't in the broadcast version either, so I'm not sure why the unscreened pilot (with different titles - the broadcast/DVD version of ep6 reuses the titles and opening music from ep1) has been put on iPlayer.

An tSaoi

Interesting, thanks for the insight.

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on August 27, 2021, 10:29:05 PM
Steve Williams, one of the most knowledgeable TV people I've ever known, and was known to post here as well as many TV forums.

Had another gracious reply from Steve Williams on Twitter. Asked if he knew anything about the choice to go with a laugh track on Dead Swan.

QuoteWe're looking into this, please bear with us

Which does suggest it was simply a mistake!

Andy147

Quote from: Dirty Boy on August 28, 2021, 09:41:51 PM
Who was the actress who played the ice queen btw? She's dead lovely (and icy)uh uh

Josephine Butler? (That's what IMDB reckons, and she looks like her).

Who's the man in S2E1 (Vince the Shirker) who says "Jesus Christ" a lot, and has an Asian wife who never speaks? I remember seeing that character in something else (either that or I saw that episode and forgot everything else about it).

Watching "Dead Swan" just now, besides being very put off by the audience laughter, was quite surprised to see Kim Hartman off "Allo Allo" in it.

Quote from: Andy147 on August 30, 2021, 11:13:20 PM
Who's the man in S2E1 (Vince the Shirker) who says "Jesus Christ" a lot, and has an Asian wife who never speaks? I remember seeing that character in something else (either that or I saw that episode and forgot everything else about it).

Blimey, that's a deep cut. Those bloke and his presumably mail order wife started off as characters in Comedy Nation.

Here they are. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8BFXXlos8U

Mobius

I think Jesus Christ man is Simon Godley?

Petey Pate

Quote from: Mobius on August 31, 2021, 01:47:36 AM
I think Jesus Christ man is Simon Godley?

It is.  I think his onscreen wife was also his real life partner.

phantom_power

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on August 31, 2021, 01:18:03 AM
Blimey, that's a deep cut. Those bloke and his presumably mail order wife started off as characters in Comedy Nation.

Here they are. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8BFXXlos8U

Thanks! I have been trying to remember where I had seen him before since my first rewatch. I thought it might have been Bruiser or one of those other crap BBC2 sort-of sketch shows

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Simon Godley, dentist to the UK comedy community.

Dirty Boy

Quote from: Andy147 on August 30, 2021, 11:13:20 PM
Josephine Butler? (That's what IMDB reckons, and she looks like her).
Thanks, but i already found that video of her copping off with a woman in a swimming pool
QuoteWatching "Dead Swan" just now, besides being very put off by the audience laughter, was quite surprised to see Kim Hartman off "Allo Allo" in it.
Not to mention that piss mental Ooooberman woman for one scene.

Watching these again on dvd and they never seem to get old,  such is the writing. Up to the Pigeon lady/carboot one and it's like seeing them for the first time.

"Just because she's got one eye, doesn't mean she'll be in the London Eye"

They should deffo show them on bbc2 again (at a proper time).

Brundle-Fly

Dignity + writing credit - Mark Jones

AAAAAAAAAAAAARAGH I AM MARK LLAMAR MRBLOBBY SILVERFACE WELSHVOICE, hear me roar!

First time round, I thought Benedict Wong was playing it too broad, too stupid, too royle family Dave, but I must have been wrong because he's been fucking pitch perfect this time round.

"Tell me, in this country, do they make peanuts for homosexuals?"
Perfect.

All the energy of a rat trapped in a can.
Imagine that.
A homely warmth wrapped in cold indifference.

AsparagusTrevor

They've uploaded the proper episode 6 onto iPlayer now, replacing the strange curio that should've probably been a DVD extra if they'd put any effort into the releases.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Errol's list of Vince's unreasonable demands including, "Stare at the sun."

lankyguy95

Keep remembering this and being really bummed out.

turnstyle

Quote from: lankyguy95 on September 02, 2021, 11:09:28 AM
Keep remembering this and being really bummed out.

Same. Every time I pop on here to avoid doing any work (approximately 136 times a day), I see this thread on the page and just think 'Ah fuck'.

Can we start one of those online petition things to have Lock's death cancelled? Because it is massively shit.

Julian Clary Presents the Best of Edinburgh 1993

Lock comes on as a roadie character after the Magnum advert. The comment under the video mentions that it might have been his first appearance on television and that it looks like a precursor to his 1994 Edinburgh show with Bill Bailey called Rock. Sorry if this clip was already posted and for bumping the thread.

Brundle-Fly

That's reminded me of Sean Lock's acceptance speech at the British Comedy Awards 2000. He signs off with a joyously cynical dedication.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sP0FngqUj0&t=22m19s

BTW Straight after his speech, enjoy the traditional awkwardness when the sponsor chief has to do his bit.

Sebastian Cobb

What ever happened to Jamie Theakston? I'd sort-of forgotten he'd existed.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 11, 2021, 11:59:06 AM
What ever happened to Jamie Theakston? I'd sort-of forgotten he'd existed.

Radio DJ on Heart?