Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:26:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Get your flu shot

Started by Fambo Number Mive, August 25, 2021, 10:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

I'm sure many of us will get our flu shot anyway, but I'd advise people on here to get the flu jab as there are concerns less people have built up a defence against the virus as there was much less flu activity last winter.

I've booked my appointments through Lloyds Pharmacy https://lloydspharmacy.com/pages/flu-vaccination, you can also book an appointment at Boots https://www.boots.com/online/pharmacy-services/winter-flu-jab-services or other places.

You may be able to get the flu jab for free.

QuoteIn 2021 to 2022, influenza vaccinations will be offered under the NHS influenza immunisation programme to the following groups:

all children aged 2 to 15 (but not 16 years or older) on 31 August 2021

people aged 50 years or over (including those becoming age 50 years by 31 March 2022)

those aged from 6 months to less than 50 years of age, in a clinical risk group such as those with
chronic (long-term) respiratory disease, such as asthma (requires continuous or repeated use of inhaled or systemic steroids or with previous exacerbations requiring hospital admission), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or bronchitis
chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
chronic kidney disease at stage 3, 4 or 5
chronic liver disease
chronic neurological disease, such as Parkinson's disease or motor neurone disease
learning disability
diabetes
splenic dysfunction or asplenia
a weakened immune system due to disease (such as HIV/AIDS) or treatment (such as cancer treatment)
morbidly obese (defined as BMI of 40 and above)

all pregnant women (including those women who become pregnant during the influenza season)
household contacts of immunocompromised individuals, specifically individuals who expect to share living accommodation on most days over the winter and, therefore, for whom continuing close contact is unavoidable

people living in long-stay residential care homes or other long-stay care facilities where rapid spread is likely to follow introduction of infection and cause high morbidity and mortality. This does not include, for instance, prisons, young offender institutions, university halls of residence, or boarding schools (except where children are of primary school age or secondary school years 7 to 11)
those who are in receipt of a carer's allowance, or who are the main carer of an older or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if the carer falls ill

health and social care staff, employed by a registered residential care or nursing home or registered domiciliary care provider, who are directly involved in the care of vulnerable patients or clients who are at increased risk from exposure to influenza
health and care staff, employed by a voluntary managed hospice provider, who are directly involved in the care of vulnerable patients or clients who are at increased risk from exposure to influenza
health and social care workers employed through Direct Payments (personal budgets) and/or Personal Health Budgets, such as Personal Assistants, to deliver domiciliary care to patients and service users
Organisations should vaccinate all frontline health and social care workers, in order to meet their responsibility to protect their staff and patients and ensure the overall safe running of services.

The list above is not exhaustive, and the healthcare professional should apply clinical judgement to take into account the risk of influenza exacerbating any underlying disease that a patient may have, as well as the risk of serious illness from influenza itself.

If you aren't on that list, you will have to pay for the flu shot but it is worth the money. You might even get a sticker. Would advise wearing a mask when you go to get your flu shot.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I love flu and think it is very sexy

Very sexy to have

Very sexy to give to others

Who wouldn't want to be surrounded by something very sexy

Only a poor man, a man devoid of warmth, mirth, goodwill. A wretch.

shiftwork2

Influenza would have been a lovely girl's name.  Quite sophis, shops at M&S for example.  Easily shortenable to Inf.

bgmnts

Okay admittedly I'm a write off anyway but in my almost 29 years on earth I've never even contemplated getting a flu jab.

Have I been doing it wrong? I dont remember ever getting flu.

imitationleather

I'm not going to get a flu jab, but if I do end up dying of flu this winter I give you permission to dance on my grave.

Jim_MacLaine

I'm over 50 but have never had a flu jab. The first and last time I got flu (about 5 years ago) I got post viral arthritis in my knees which lasted 2 months after the other symptoms had disappeared. 

Very fucking weird so I might take them up on it this year. Specially with the old vid looking for any way to fuck me up.

Fambo Number Mive

Getting your flu shot is another way to stick two theoretical fingers up at anti-vaxxers as well.

Alberon

Got my first flu shot last year and just got an invite for this year so I'll go for it. I can never have enough pricks.

mothman

You might want to pop into the Yesterday thread in Movies then, where they're planning an initiative to give everyone in the world a blow-job for some reason.

Big Mclargehuge

I've been getting them on and off for years (usually dependent on circumstance, cost and availability) but in the last 3-4 years i've gotten much more serious about actually making the point of going to get it done, especially when I realised that it stopped me from transmitting it to anyone else.

last year my workplace offered employees free vouchers to go and get it done at various pharmacies up and down the country, im hoping they'll do the same again this year. Otherwise I'll probably book mine in some time around mid October/early November just before the shit hits the wall.

flotemysost

My employer used to offer them in the workplace every year, so I'd always sign up - nice little diversion from the working day, nothing like getting a sharp object jabbed in your arm to break up the tedium of the afternoon.

Last year we were given vouchers but I didn't actually get round to having it for the first time in years - I wasn't sure if it was better to reserve doses for people who are more at risk, or get it anyway and contribute to herd immunity, but given I was working from home and living on my own at the time it felt like I might have been taking it away from someone more in need. Will def make sure I get it booked in this year though, even if work run out of vouchers.