Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:41:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Greg Davies Cleans Up

Started by Tony Tony Tony, February 18, 2021, 04:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

Apologies if I missed this being mentioned in another thread, however Steve Wright gave it a shout during his show today.

It seems Greg Davies has written, and will star in, a new upcoming comedy about a Crime Scene Cleaner which is set to also feature Helena Bonham-Carter and David Mitchell. More into here ....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2020/the-cleaner   

Anything featuring Davies and Mitchell has gotta be good, though not sure about HB-C?

Tony Tony Tony

A bit more Googling reveals...

QuoteThe cast also includes David Mitchell ("Upstart Crow"), Stephanie Cole ("Still Open All Hours"), Donald Sumpter ("Game Of Thrones"), Shobu Kapoor ("Four Weddings And A Funeral"), Ruth Madeley ("Years And Years"), Layton Williams ("Everybody's Talking About Jamie" musical), Zita Sattar ("Casualty"), Georgie Glen ("The Crown"), Bill Skinner ("Ted Lasso") and Esmonde Cole ("Still So Awkward").

MojoJojo

I've not got on with Greg Davies' previous sitcoms.

It's also based on a long running successful german sitcom.

up_the_hampipe

I loved Man Down, but I have doubts this'll be as silly. Still, could be good though.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah doesn't sound like a setup that would support many Milky Sues. It's still Greg Davies though, so I have high hopes.

Fambo Number Mive

dissolute ocelot

Does he solve crimes at the same time? The combination of Germany and horribly dismembered corpses does seem to suggest lols aplenty. But Davies is usually good to great, and I can imagine him picking up a bloody hand and pulling a face. Pulling a face off the filing cabinet in which it has been brutally smashed. Ditto, basically.

BritishHobo

Huge fan of Man Down, so very excited to see what this is like.

Steven88

I liked Cuckoo apart from the last series and Man Down, hopefully this is decent.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: olliebean on August 29, 2021, 10:29:05 PM
Starts on 10th September.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_xaJ7eKBLE
Clip: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09t9635

That clip is funny. The concept is dark and it works in being at odds with Davies' style of comedy. Intrigued.

BritishHobo

Indeed, it looks like an intriguing departure for him.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Yes, it looks like he might actually be funny in this.

chrispmartha

Sounds similar to Mr & Mrs Murder, an Australian comedy about crime scene cleaners

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2390791/

I'm glad we've been given more than the trailer, because that makes it look dreadful. Just a load of three-second clips with zero context.

The longer clip is promising though. It's Greg Davies being Greg Davies, but that's no bad thing - nobody will be watching this hoping that he's gone subtle and understated.

It looks good. I'm optimistic!

Theremin

Anyone know the name of the German show it's based on?

Icehaven

Reading that cast list I thought "Bloody hell, Stephanie Cole is still alive? She must be at least 90" as I mainly remember her from Waiting For God. Turns out she was 48-53 when she was in that, playing someone who was supposed to be about 20 years older than she actually was. I can't remember now but was she made up to look older?

Malcy

Quote from: icehaven on August 30, 2021, 10:45:20 AM
Reading that cast list I thought "Bloody hell, Stephanie Cole is still alive? She must be at least 90" as I mainly remember her from Waiting For God. Turns out she was 48-53 when she was in that, playing someone who was supposed to be about 20 years older than she actually was. I can't remember now but was she made up to look older?

I thought when she left Doc Martin probably 10+ years ago that it was because she was just too old to do it any more and was retiring but then she popped up in the live Inside No 9 episode a couple of years ago.

Enjoyed Man Down & Cuckoo so hopefully enjoy this too.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: icehaven on August 30, 2021, 10:45:20 AM

Well, I don't think she was * that * pleased about it.
I think Stephanie Cole is just one of these people who have just always looked old, like the recently departed Ed Asner looked to be in his mid- sixties in the Mary Tyler Moore Show when he was only about forty. Yer woman was playing an old git back in the 70s in " Open All Hours" ( and played the same character in the revived series, despite the fact that , technically, that character should be about 110 at that point).

Sebastian Cobb

Wonder how much of a rip off of Spotless it'll feel like.

Tony Tony Tony

Very much looking forward to this. Greg Davies is becoming one of those comics who can raise a laugh before he even speaks as he seems naturally funny. His well practiced withering look (probably honed in his teacher years) as well as the exaggerated arched eye brow tickles me no end.

Then there is something about his childish stomping indignation act that seems out of place for a man of his years.

All in all reckon he is becoming something of a comedy National Treasure. Here's hoping this show enhances that.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on August 30, 2021, 09:17:48 PM
Very much looking forward to this. Greg Davies is becoming one of those comics who can raise a laugh before he even speaks as he seems naturally funny. His well practiced withering look (probably honed in his teacher years)

Just the idea of him being a teacher is funny.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on August 30, 2021, 09:17:48 PM
Very much looking forward to this. Greg Davies is becoming one of those comics who can raise a laugh before he even speaks as he seems naturally funny. His well practiced withering look (probably honed in his teacher years) as well as the exaggerated arched eye brow tickles me no end.

Then there is something about his childish stomping indignation act that seems out of place for a man of his years.

All in all reckon he is becoming something of a comedy National Treasure. Here's hoping this show enhances that.

See, I agree, but I haven't liked any of his sitcoms. Hopefully this one will be different.

Tony Tony Tony

Bumping this thread in anticipation of the show starting tomorrow.

Malcy

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on September 09, 2021, 09:20:11 PM
Bumping this thread in anticipation of the show starting tomorrow.

Thanks, I had seen several reviews around the place and wondered how I couldn't find it. Thought it had already started.

greencalx

Usually RT loves everything I hate, but the converse is not necessarily true. Might give this a whirl later.

Gurke and Hare

Three stars, some funny bits. I liked it when he kicked the pie for the second time, and there was another good bit but I've forgotten what it was now.