Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:58:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

General weight loss thread

Started by bgmnts, August 29, 2021, 01:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

So I've just hit the big 300 pounds now which is a pretty special milestone for me personally as it means I'm officially two whole people my height.

So it's 1500 calories a day for a whole year to get back down to 190/200 and have a semblance of a normal fulfilling life.

So anyone else going on this near impossible journey make your thoughts known. Fatty safe space.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Oh hello it's me from several years ago

Whatever weight loss plan you're following, make sure it's sustainable. If it's leaving you constantly hungry and fed up and on the verge of shovelling all the "forbidden" food into your maw in defiance of yourself, re-evaluate.

Weigh and measure everything. I'm following a weight loss program at the moment and have lost 11lb this year, the majority of it through weighing and measuring properly instead of just eyeballing it.

I admire you if you can give up junk food cold turkey. If you're like me and you can't, there are tons of lower calorie/smaller serving sizes of crisps/chocolate/biscuits/pretty much anything you can name. If you need that hit, work it into your day.

Keep fruit where you can easily reach it. I have a fruit bowl next to my laptop when I'm working. I put three pieces of fruit in it and my mission for the day is to eat the three pieces of fruit.

When you're plating up dinner, put some lettuce leaves or spinach leaves under your meat/fish/protein source. You have this lovely green colour on the plate and it's an easy way to eat leafy greens.

Be kind to yourself. There'll be times when you slip up. If that happens, draw a line under it and start again the next day. Or the next meal. Don't let that little voice start. You know the one. Even if the weight loss isn't going as fast as you'd like, you'll be eating much more healthy than you are now and that makes a difference.

You can do it bgmnts. I did. I went from eating takeaways four times a week washed down with literal gallons of Lucozade to actually cooking, getting my five a day and drinking litres of water instead.

bigfatheart

The key is to find what works for you, in my experience. Some people will lose six stone doing whatever, and that's obviously worked for them but that doesn't mean it'll work for you. A few years back I lost 4 and a half stone in three years by joining Slimming World - that worked for me because going to weekly meetings and having to talk about what I'd done right and wrong over the week forced me to keep honest, even in front of a group of old dears it was too embarrassing having to own up that, yeah, I've plonked down my money to do this thing but I'm still spunking it all on takeaways and beer. But that worked for me, it won't work for everyone.

I'm back on it now, having jacked it in during a stressful period and put it all back on again with a bit extra. Just over a stone in three months so far. (DEAD SOON obviously)

popcorn

Until a few years ago I was a big fatty. Moved to Japan and lost loads and loads of weight by accident, just by virtue of living in a different country and having a different lifestyle. Shagged every woman in Japan. Moved back to the UK 2 years ago and put lots of it back on again. Had no sex.

This Feb I decided to lose it again. For the first time in my life I have been consciously eating and exercising with a goal of weight loss. I've lost 16kg (2.5 stone) so far.

The advice I would give to anyone who wants to lose weight is this:

• Get a pair of digital scales (mine cost £15) so you get a nice easy-to-read measurement.
  • Get a calorie counting app. It will tell you how many calories to eat each day (it will do this based on your current weight, age etc). Remember you can still eat crisps and chocolate and junk! It just means you have to have a smaller dinner. It's like choosing what to put in your briefcase in Resident Evil.
  • Use the calorie counter for a week. That's it. Just a week. You're not committing to any big diet or lifestyle change or exercise plan or anything like that. You're just doing an experiment.
  • During this week, each morning, get up, have a piss (and a shit if it's your shitting time), take all your clothes off and weigh yourself. Write down what you weigh each day.

At the end of the week see what you have learnt about yourself and your body.

If anyone wants any advice or wants to hear about what worked for me in detail I'm happy to talk through it, just PM me.

Butchers Blind

touchingcloth

Quote from: popcorn on August 30, 2021, 05:40:36 PM
Until a few years ago I was a big fatty. Moved to Japan and lost loads and loads of weight by accident, just by virtue of living in a different country and having a different lifestyle. Shagged every woman in Japan. Moved back to the UK 2 years ago and put lots of it back on again. Had no sex.

This Feb I decided to lose it again. For the first time in my life I have been consciously eating and exercising with a goal of weight loss. I've lost 16kg (2.5 stone) so far.

The advice I would give to anyone who wants to lose weight is this:

• Get a pair of digital scales (mine cost £15) so you get a nice easy-to-read measurement.
  • Get a calorie counting app. It will tell you how many calories to eat each day (it will do this based on your current weight, age etc). Remember you can still eat crisps and chocolate and junk! It just means you have to have a smaller dinner. It's like choosing what to put in your briefcase in Resident Evil.
  • Use the calorie counter for a week. That's it. Just a week. You're not committing to any big diet or lifestyle change or exercise plan or anything like that. You're just doing an experiment.
  • During this week, each morning, get up, have a piss (and a shit if it's your shitting time), take all your clothes off and weigh yourself. Write down what you weigh each day.

At the end of the week see what you have learnt about yourself and your body.

If anyone wants any advice or wants to hear about what worked for me in detail I'm happy to talk through it, just PM me.

I've done a similar thing to you, without raping and pillaging my way through the Orient. I'm down by closer to 14kg since a final blow out on Shrove Tuesday.

I agree with the advice on getting a set of cheap scales, that's something which I find keeps me on the straight and narrow.

I haven't been calorie counting since trying to lose weight, but I've changed the types of foods I eat. I don't keep potatoes, bread, pasta or rice in the house routinely now, and I try and eat more greens and oats. I avoid ultra processed foods now, and have come to regard things like sunflower oil as the devil made flesh. Greasy, Satanic flesh.

I've changed how I eat as well, specifically making big efforts to not snack throughout the day, and restricting the times when I do eat. Once a week I'll fast for 24 hours, and most other days I won't eat anything outside of a 1PM-8PM window, with lunch being a small bowl of muesli. Home made, cos of the processed shite in even the supposedly healthy supermarket ones. Things like the Crisps thread make me sad now, because I think I'm at an age where things are getting a bit too real and I need to see certain foods as occasional treats until grave.

Exercise is important, but I've found it really hard to find any forms which work for me because just about every form is abject misery. I do HIIT, yoga and some small weights in a rotation every other day, but I really have to force myself to.

Don't beat yourself up if you don't lose significant amounts of weight in short amounts of time. Obesity makes long term changes to your metabolism, and your body's feedback systems for signalling hunger and satiety, so those of us who struggle with weight have the nice bonus of needing to lose more weight than skinnier people whilst having a body which is screaming at us to get more food down our necks. Weight loss is emphatically not as simple as the eat less, move more mantra that people will chant at you; it's partly that, but the resting metabolism of different people can vary by hundreds of calories a day, in other words the amount of energy you would expect to burn by running 5K or more.

Also happy to provide more detail via PM or reading lists in this thread if anyone is interested, but I'm aware that reading about weight loss online can end up with more reading assignments than practical advice.

Finally, have you considered just not being fat?

Ferris

I tracked my weight on a graph every day, went teetotal and counted calories like a mad thing 6 days a week, also used to run 5km every other day. Think I lost 25lbs over 4 or 5 months? The graph was really good because if I had a day when I was unexpectedly 1/2 lb heavier, I could see that the actual trend was continuing in the right direction and I could do analysis on the rate of decline etc.

Then I fucked my knee up so I couldn't run, then work got busy so I didn't have time for graphs, then I became the owner/operator of a baby/small boy so carefully weighing rice and planning meals around rice crackers and tins of tuna at very specific times became a laughable endeavour.

It was also very helpful to do some googling on calories in food. Did you know a cheese sandwich has twice the calories of a ham sandwich? Or that mayonnaise is ~1.5 times more calorific than chocolate? And ~10 times more calorific than mustard? I've carried that knowledge forward which has made it easier to stay at a healthy BMI or close to it.

Now I'm back where I started which isn't terrible, but I'd like to be back in really good shape again.

paruses

I like the graph idea and it fits into my love of making graphs. Think I will give that a go.

Was on the verge of doing a bit of a weight loss. Have got into a bit of a cycle of snacking and puddings of late and feeling a bit heavy. One thing that does help me is recording what I eat. Just put My Fitness Pal on my phone and it seems a lot more involved to add things - not the adding but the constant prompts to buy premium. If I get too pissed off with it is there a bettter/almost as good app anyone can recommend?

poo

U know this but it's  90% wot you shove in your gob. Also, if you can, get lifting, get walking, and absolutely do not weigh yourself every day (once a week - recommend Friday morning). Good luck.

Emma Raducanu

Thinking of getting a plane to your next holiday destination?

Forget it. You're walking there son.

kngen

Don't do Noom. It's basically My Fitness Pal, but with really annoying pop psychology claptrap added that makes you want to gorge on deep-fried pizzas just to spite it.

popcorn

Quote from: poo on August 30, 2021, 09:03:00 PM
absolutely do not weigh yourself every day (once a week - recommend Friday morning)

I personally reckon this is a bad strategy because it makes you vulnerable to data error.

You could lose weight over the course of a week but, by sheer randomness, end up weighing the same (or more) on two days 7 days apart.

Best strategy is to weigh yourself every day and accept that your weight will fluctuate and not freak out when it goes up instead of down. The more data you collect the more accurately you can chart the trend. The trend is the important thing.

edit: reposting an example I gave in an old thread.

Here's a real slice of my own weight data. Imagine how misinformed you'd be if you could only see days A and B, or C and D, without the days between.

poo

Personally, I think the inevitable daily fluctuation (which can be startling) is psychologically damaging when you're playing the long game.

Zetetic

If you're unable to get to grips with these distressingly basic concepts around measurement and analysis, then you need to be working on that - not losing weight.

popcorn

Quote from: poo on August 30, 2021, 09:16:46 PM
Personally, I think the inevitable daily fluctuation (which can be startling) is psychologically damaging when you're playing the long game.

that is understandable. but think if you worked really hard for a week and then through random statistical chance your scale told you you'd gained half a kilo since last Friday it'd be even more gutting.

imo better to go into it knowing fluctuation is all part of the game, and collect better data faster. Seeing the long-term positive trend is cheering.

Twit 2

Love healthy eating. Can't wait to be trapped in a husk of a body, surveying a destroyed Earth, a slow, painful death my reward for my healthy lifestyle. I tried telling Slimming World their slogan should be EAT SHIT AND DIE but accounts said 'no'.

Retinend

Everyone loves giving advice. I'll keep mine short: if your breakfast involves a slice of toast with butter, consider ditching the toast and putting the same amount of butter directly into your coffee ☕

Sounds crazy, but if you are rational about it, it's no different to a coffee with heavy cream. But butter is better than heavy cream for keeping hunger at bay.

This is known as "bullet-proof coffee" for some reason and originated with the keto people. But every kind of dieter can benefit from it as a breakfast substitute.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Don't drink coffee, please adapt

Does the butter go in apple juice?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I also keep a graph and highly recommend it.

I do not recommend weighing oneself every day. Once a week is enough, especially if getting on the scales is emotionally fraught. It's easy to start hopping on it every day and getting angry and despairing because you're up from the day before.

Better food choices are responsible for 90%-95% of my weight loss. I do exercise, especially now that gyms/classes are running again, but you never burn off as much as you think you do. Exercise will tone you, and it gets me out of the house so I'm not sitting on the computer or in front of the TV mindlessly snacking.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on August 30, 2021, 09:48:34 PM
I do not recommend weighing oneself every day. Once a week is enough, especially if getting on the scales is emotionally fraught. It's easy to start hopping on it every day and getting angry and despairing because you're up from the day before.

Horses for courses, I reckon. I get more out of weighing myself daily because I know that even though things fluctuate, the general trend is of two steps forward and one step back. If I weighed less frequently then I wouldn't pick up on that trend as easily, and I'd get fixated on fluctuations in the wrong direction. Regular weighing has definitely helped me with knowing that the fluctuations are all part of the process, and when I see I'm up on the day before I just think fuck it, it'll be back down again tomorrow.

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on August 30, 2021, 09:48:34 PM
Better food choices are responsible for 90%-95% of my weight loss. I do exercise, especially now that gyms/classes are running again, but you never burn off as much as you think you do. Exercise will tone you, and it gets me out of the house so I'm not sitting on the computer or in front of the TV mindlessly snacking.

Snap. Reading up on the amount of calories a kilo of fat contains compared to a) the ~2,000 odd calories per day needed to stay alive and b) the relatively few calories burned by most forms of exercise helped me realise that exercise alone was never going to help me shift the weight, as there's no chance you'd catch me jogging for an hour just to use barely any more calories than a cheeseburger. Of course my disgusting weight and tiny legs mean that you would actually catch me quite easily, but I was talking figuratively.

poo

Quote from: popcorn on August 30, 2021, 09:21:48 PM
that is understandable. but think if you worked really hard for a week and then through random statistical chance your scale told you you'd gained half a kilo since last Friday it'd be even more gutting.

imo better to go into it knowing fluctuation is all part of the game, and collect better data faster. Seeing the long-term positive trend is cheering.

Disagree

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on August 30, 2021, 09:11:22 PM
I personally reckon this is a bad strategy because it makes you vulnerable to data error.

You could lose weight over the course of a week but, by sheer randomness, end up weighing the same (or more) on two days 7 days apart.

Best strategy is to weigh yourself every day and accept that your weight will fluctuate and not freak out when it goes up instead of down. The more data you collect the more accurately you can chart the trend. The trend is the important thing.

edit: reposting an example I gave in an old thread.

Here's a real slice of my own weight data. Imagine how misinformed you'd be if you could only see days A and B, or C and D, without the days between.

Can't stand this bellend but he's on the money here.

Weighing yourself every day ceases to be a stressful chore when you know basically what you weigh already. No surprises. I'll also echo the point that more data points mean a clearer trend and you are more motivated to keep going even if you get a duff day's measurement.

Uncle TechTip

touchingcloth

poo

poo

DATA CUM 3000

Bet these guys record their unenergetic wanks on Strava

badaids

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 30, 2021, 10:19:00 PM
Can't stand this bellend but he's on the money here.

Weighing yourself every day ceases to be a stressful chore when you know basically what you weigh already. No surprises. I'll also echo the point that more data points mean a clearer trend and you are more motivated to keep going even if you get a duff day's measurement.

This is exactly what I do - it's a buzz to see the downward trend.  That's why I weigh myself every 30 seconds. 

Ferris

Quote from: badaids on August 30, 2021, 10:51:05 PM
This is exactly what I do - it's a buzz to see the downward trend.  That's why I weigh myself every 30 seconds.

Used to love doing a massive piss before a weigh-in and laughing about the 1/2 lb I was about to cheat on my graph.

And my graph had no idea! Superb.

Cold Meat Platter

Is he the guy with the four lightsabers aye?

Dex Sawash