Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:37:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Between The Lines

Started by Endicott, April 07, 2021, 01:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paruses

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 02, 2021, 03:02:39 PM
Ooh, just managed to sneak in the last episode (sorry, the season finale) last night before it dropped off the iPlayer.

Good to know it isn't just Russell T. Davies who thinks it's exciting to have a climactic scene where the hero is attacked by a villain driving a very small forklift (was that in Borough market before it became a hipster foodie haven?). At least it kept Neil Pearson away from the Denning interview scenes, which were frankly much better for his absence. In another Doctor Who tradition, Bernard Horsfall turns up at the end of an epic storyline as part of a trio to try the antagonist. Except aaah he isn't the antagonist, it's weasely Deakin trying to push his weight around, didn't expect that did you! No, because it's a ridiculous twist - but I suppose it was at least in keeping with the series' mantra that it's often the smallest players causing the biggest problems. Anyway it's off to HMS Belfast for an action-packed denouement, except the only action is Clarke thumping Deakin in the midriff once he's been caught.

Yes - Borough Market indeed. I like seeing it pre-hipster days and declaring (like a hipster) that I liked it before it got famous. It seems to crop up a lot in things of that era. Am guessing that as market times were pretty tight it would be deserted very early and after about 2 so ideal for filming poor fight scenes.

I very much got the impression they though it would be a great idea to film the climax [nb]Steady on, Reg - Thanks to Kenny Everett for making me say that every single time I hear the word[/nb] on HMS Belfast but it turned out to be a terrible idea full of long shots and awkward set ups because of tourists. The highlight for me was the kids apprehending Deakin. It was just like the end of a Children's Film Foundation production. Mad and brilliant. Loved the reaction from one of the kids when Deakin got it in the goolies from Tone.

By far the best scene of the episode was the closing part where Naylor and Connell swiftly head off to resume their social lives leaving Clarke to becry his solitary fate as his ex wife and her new partner waltz happily past in the rain. Oh, Tony. Sort your life out.

When I was watching this I said "Oh that's <forgotten her name> in the bar isn't it?" I was told it wasn't then only moments later I graciously accepted a full and unconditional apology from all concerned. I quite liked the understated way Tony got his comeuppance and <forgotten her name> had moved on nicely. No doubt he will be noisily kissing someone else soon enough in S2 (I can't remember anything about it at all but will try and find it on
Spoiler alert
MooDube
[close]
).

Did feel sorry for Jenny though - as LJMAC says the lasting memory of her in the series is basically her dad pointing out at the funeral that Tony had chucked it up her and should be ashamed of himself.

Overall - really glad they showed this and Endicott brought it to CaB's attention. Was at least 3.75 x better than Line of Duty.

Structurally I thought the biggest problem with the series was that the Carswell case appeared a couple of episodes in as what looked like another one-off story, then wasn't mentioned for a few episodes, then came back to prominence in the final few instalments once we'd forgotten most of the details. If only they knew about story arcs in those days, eh.   

Yea - that wasn't big enough to remember 4 episodes later. Most I could recall was couple of coppers had fabricated a confession and Jenny had not corroborated it (or had and had then gone back on it).

Does make me wonder how we used to keep up with Taggart 3-parters only shown on a Monday night and a whole week in between. Seemed to work - or maybe no-one in the 80s followed anything and we just pretended.

Norton Canes

So after a hiatus to recharge my police drama capacity I headed over to YouTube to kick off season two, and one of the most entertaining episodes so far. Nice nod to continuity to resolve the Deakin case in a way which provides affirmation that the bad apples generally get away with their misdemeanours; and the new boss twist at the end confirms that it's not how many bent coppers you put away but, who you know that gets you up the greasy pole. Interesting that Clarke is largely side-lined during his brief spell in charge but frankly it's difficult to feel any sympathy for the c*nt after his horrible sneaky behaviour spying on Harry Naylor's ballroom evening. Jealous much, Tony?

Anyway the other main talking point is Daniel Craig's appearance. In fact it's of so much significance that I'm tempted to start a thread on Craig's pre-Bond career, what might have been if 007 hadn't come calling, and whether or not he's any good in roles that don't involve him simply pouting as he stalks around looking for a fight. I'd say he's not too bad in this, if you believe that with some of his more unconvincing scenes he's playing a character making a less than convincing job of being in character.

Best WTF moment was the opening titles though, which now have 'BETWEEN THE LINES' scrolling continuously at the top and bottom of the screen, so when the main 'BETWEEN THE LINES' title appears in the middle, it's 'BETWEEN THE LINES' between the 'BETWEEN THE LINES' lines. In case you'd forgotten you were watching 'BETWEEN THE LINES'.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 21, 2021, 03:09:11 PM
Interesting that Clarke is largely side-lined during his brief spell in charge but frankly it's difficult to feel any sympathy for the c*nt after his horrible sneaky behaviour spying on Harry Naylor's ballroom evening. Jealous much, Tony?

Doesn't Clarke make a few silly jokes about it to a confused Harry, as if it is hilarious someone should be engaged in something after work that isn't shagging?

Series 2 is really good.

paruses

Being a spoiler free as possible - does Harry get demoted at the beginning of S2?

Norton Canes

Don't think so - unless he briefly acts up in Clarke's S1 role (while Tony's filling in for Deakin) only to be brought back down to earth when Graves gets the permanent job?

paruses

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 22, 2021, 04:53:06 PM
Don't think so - unless he briefly acts up in Clarke's S1 role (while Tony's filling in for Deakin) only to be brought back down to earth when Graves gets the permanent job?
Hmm. I thought he got caught doing something suspect and was demoted rather than fired. It's not mentioned on Wikipedia either and series 3 seems all about the security services. Could be mid-series I suppose. Or it could be a completely different programme. It was a long time ago now.

gilbertharding

I'm about halfway through the second series now, and as you've all said - it's great.

Tonty hasn't been getting his legover at all though (OK - once. And he gets her name wrong) - although he's been giving enough people the glad eye. He's also given up smoking, though I wonder if that's the actor insisting he can't hack the fags.

I think Siobhan Redmond is a terrible actor. She just always looks like she's acting. With a stupid wig on (I know it's not a wig). In a Victoria Wood sketch. Mo's boyfriend really doesn't seem her type. I am always fascinated to see architects depicted on tv. He's got his drawing board in the spare room, with his circle template and his Rotring pens...

The story arc is shaping up nicely. The clash with MI5, that lady from the Home Office. The episode with the Hillsborough parallels was very well done - stuff in there about the guy in nominal charge being completely unqualified, and being thrown under the bus by his superiors - am I right to say these things which weren't known about in the mainstream for many years later (obviously everyone knew something was rotten)?

Norton Canes

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 30, 2021, 08:31:56 AM
I think Siobhan Redmond is a terrible actor. She just always looks like she's acting. With a stupid wig on (I know it's not a wig). In a Victoria Wood sketch. Mo's boyfriend really doesn't seem her type. I am always fascinated to see architects depicted on tv. He's got his drawing board in the spare room, with his circle template and his Rotring pens...

I think she plays the cool, detached type pretty well. To be honest there doesn't seem to be a huge amount in her character to latch on to acting-wise so I guess that's why she's gone for a bit of an archetype. She certainly nails episode two ('Manslaughter'), which is where I'm up to. Yeah, I'm expecting some kind of twist with the architect boyfriend. 

gilbertharding

Hard to explain what I mean. Yes the character is a cypher - which isn't her fault -  but I think it's the hair. It distracts.

Sorry - I hope I wasn't spoiling anything for you up there??

Norton Canes

Not at all, you're just on the right side of tantalising :)

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: paruses on June 22, 2021, 04:38:39 PM
Being a spoiler free as possible - does Harry get demoted at the beginning of S2?

Spoiler alert
Yes, but I think it is nearer the middle than the beginning that it happens
[close]

gilbertharding

Just watched the first episode of series 3. So far it *kind of* works, as the consequences of the end of series 2 are playing out... but they've already been to Tunisia for some reason.

gilbertharding

Is anyone else going to finish watching this?

I've only got the series 3 finale (two episodes) to go, but I've been saving them.

Fambo Number Mive

Watched most episodes of series 2 and really enjoyed them, I thought that Manoeuvre 11 and Jumping the Lights were the best episodes from series 2. I also like how a lot of the time in both series CIB don't solve the crime and sort everything out neatly like in a lot of police shows. There's a lot of politics and coppers closing ranks to prevent a result at the end of the episode.

Watched part of the first episode of series 3 and just couldn't get into it. Are any of the other episodes of series 3 any better?

I think Mo and Harry are usually quite good at their jobs but Clark's brain is in his penis (although a very well acted character, would someone that sex obsessed be kept as a CIB DCI?). He even tries to get off with
Spoiler alert
Mo, who works under him.
[close]

gilbertharding

The rest of the series tones down the 'Between the Lines *IN SPACE!*' angle a little bit.

In fact, it gets back almost to normal - there's a lot of business early doors about Mo still being in the police and then half in and half out. And Deakin turns up every week like a Machiavellian toad.

There is a lot of unintended comedy about Tony trying to become a small business owner - prodding away at his brand new computer while smoking furiously and frowning at the spiral bound user manual, or else looking at his fax machine willing it to work somehow. They get an accounts assistant in the end.

Someone on youtube comments remembered that people used to call it Between the Thighs.

Norton Canes

Up to (i.e. just watched) S02E08, very much still enjoying it. Favourite bit so far has been the brilliant little character moment in "Some Must Watch..." where the high-ranking MI5 chap turns up to speak to Clarke at the T.A. centre and can't work out whether to push or pull the entrance doors. Up there with anything in le Carré adaptations, that.

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 03, 2021, 05:09:08 PM
Someone on youtube comments remembered that people used to call it Between the Thighs

'Between the Sheets' got bandied about a lot at the time.

Fambo Number Mive

SPOILER IS ALSO NSFW (contains descriptions of sex organs)

Watching part 1 of the Series 3 finale now and there is an amusing bit with Deakin turning up at Clarke's flat and being
Spoiler alert
discovered by a naked Clarke who is with a naked lady (we see her breasts but don't see Clark's genitals
[close]
)

SPOILER IS ALSO NSFW

Norton Canes

Finally got round to watching the brilliant double-episode conclusion to season two. All I can say is, it's a crying shame we were denied a spin-off series: Naylor

Interesting that it was season three which won the Best Drama BAFTA, despite it being the least representative of what the series was trying to do. And if you want to take a guess which show won in '92 and '93...

Spoiler alert
Inspector Morse
[close]

Late to the Season 2 party. Think the first episode was one of the best ones so far. Enjoyed.

The one in the TA Centre with MI5. No idea quite what's going on but several laughs ("what's this then, bloody mothers' union" and the smoking vote) and its a veritable who's who of Oh It's Them. Even Nick the Greek from Lock, Stock ...

QuoteThe episode with the Hillsborough parallels was very well done - stuff in there about the guy in nominal charge being completely unqualified, and being thrown under the bus by his superiors - am I right to say these things which weren't known about in the mainstream for many years later (obviously everyone knew something was rotten)?

Agree with this. There's a line, when the senior police man is in the hospital, about people being there to cause trouble and stanley knife wounds that's quite on the nose.

Roy Cropper channelling Derek Hatton at the start.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I'm re- viewing the episodes on YouTube now, and no-one's seen fit in all the, " Oh, it's him/ her off..." mentions to point out the presence of the Double- Take Brother Who Isn't Harry Enfield in Se01, EP 09 ( at first, it looked like he wasnae going to have any lines, but he starts interacting with Tom Georgeson and Siobhan Redmond about halfway through the episode. He performs a nice , insouciant bit of biccy nicking from Siobhan Redmond, too. " That's  mah biscuit!"). Shame on you all.
Tom " Guv" Georgeson very good in this too, looks just right for the part, and  lovely convincing cockernee  accent ( He's a Scouser, y'know).

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Also, in that one with Keith Allen With Hair and Jamie The Angry Scotsman as Customs and Excise, did anyone notice a very young That Feller Who Plays The SAS Bloke On Alan Partridge giving some info to Nicky Henson ?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Bullet Baxter denying The Holocaust!
( Started the second series now)
Also, that bloke who still wished he was on " Brookside" when he appeared on " Sean's Show" getting punched in the mush by James Bond!

Norton Canes

Started S03E01 but had to stop when Tony and Harry were trundling round the streets of Tunis. I'll get back to it eventually I guess.

Norton Canes

Blimey. It rattles through a lot in the last half hour.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Just watched the first episode of the third series, and it was absolutely ridiculous. One commenter under the video wrote simply " Holiday On The Buses", and that seemed apt. I have the feeling that things are only going to get sillier, but will persevere anyways.
" Ooh, it's him " actors: Tony Osoba as the customs feller and Jim Barclay as some chief super or other, having risen through the ranks since accusing people of stealing white man's electricity as a humble PC.

Norton Canes

Sorry, getting a bit necro this, but I've been sedately making my way through season three and now only have the climactic two-parter to watch. Or should I say the last two episodes of the climactic three-parter, as episode eight of the ten sets up the storyline like a Utopia to the finale's The Sound Of Drums/Last Of The Time Lords.

Like everyone I've been put off by the shift in emphasis from police drama to spy caper stuff. There have been some pertinent political points made (for the era, anyway) but the show's forfeited the emotional impact that came from addressing predominantly domestic issues. Still, there's been a few aspects to enjoy, like Naylor's blossoming romance with the accountant. That scene where they
Spoiler alert
have a drunken shag in his kitchen
[close]
actually made me shriek in disbelief like a Goggle Box muppet. The Chilean general one certainly pushed the envelope, and the defence industry suicides story asked some awkward questions, I guess.

Let's see if the whole thing ends with a decent pay-off.

One thing - did cars really look so pissy small even in the mid-90's? It's like twenty years on from rusty Vivas and Cortinas rattling around in the likes of The Sweeney, yet Clarke's Volvo or whatever it is a practically a shoe box. 

Norton Canes

Ha, Donald Sumpter in E09, an absolute masterclass in stealing the show with a 20-second cameo (yes, that's Heimi Henderson)