Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:56:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

County Kerry

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, September 02, 2021, 07:59:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Will be there in a few weeks.

Staying in Killarney then Dingle and Tralee.

Packing my hiking boots of course, but what's going on around there? What should I do with my days? What shouldn't I do? What are the good pubs around there, what do I do when someone says a gaelic at me?

I could get a girl pregnant and inadvertently slip into the centre of a gangland feud, but I only have 7 days.

Your help sirs please

tinglingoxbow

Get some ice cream at Murphy's in Dingle. Would recommend the brown bread flavour.

Don't worry about people speaking Irish at you, they'll hear your accent a mile away and swap appropriately.

Johnny Yesno

Buelligan

I'll tell my brother to keep any eye out.

JaDanketies

My dad was planning to retire there, in the westmost part of Ireland. Had a house ready but he died.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 02, 2021, 08:35:02 AM
My dad was planning to retire there, in the westmost part of Ireland. Had a house ready but he died.

I am sorry your Dad is dead. You are suggesting the house is available currently?

Wonderful Butternut

Hat FM

try some barmbrack. its fruit bread essentially.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Due to Covid-19 the infamous Lovely Girl Competition Rose of Tralee is cancelled this year.

TrenterPercenter

Shouldn't really be promoting the rivals but get yourself to Muckross Lake, Muckross Abbey you can get a horse drawn carriage if that is you think our you can just walk the grounds and view the lake (less touristy than a lot of the others). 

Then walk/drive to Torc Waterfall (walking will take about an hr) which is beautiful and you can walk up to the top of it.  There is a decent pub back in Muckross which is part of the Hotel called Colgan's Bar - will do you for some scran and a couple of beers.

Obviously then there are the other lakes in the main part which are great also but depending on time of year will be lots of tourists.

the northwest you are not too far of a drive to see Dingle to see "Fungi" the Dolphin; but even closer is to go south to Kenmare which has some nice pubs and restaurants.

Janie Jones

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 02, 2021, 09:33:01 AM
Due to Covid-19 the infamous Lovely Girl Competition Rose of Tralee is cancelled this year.

Ha I was trying to find DukeDeMondo's thread on that subject.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I couldn't track it down either :(

Trenter - Thanks, I will be visiting the castle, abbey and Gap of Dunloe which looks great. Torc waterfall... Yes, will try to fit that in.

All on public transport too, fingers crossed eh....

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 02, 2021, 09:49:55 AM

Trenter - Thanks, I will be visiting the castle, abbey and Gap of Dunloe which looks great. Torc waterfall... Yes, will try to fit that in.

Shuttle bus takes you there and back http://www.killarneyshuttlebus.com/muckross-route/

Buelligan

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 02, 2021, 09:44:41 AM
Shouldn't really be promoting the rivals but get yourself to Muckross Lake, Muckross Abbey you can get a horse drawn carriage if that is you think our you can just walk the grounds and view the lake (less touristy than a lot of the others). 

Then walk/drive to Torc Waterfall (walking will take about an hr) which is beautiful and you can walk up to the top of it.  There is a decent pub back in Muckross which is part of the Hotel called Colgan's Bar - will do you for some scran and a couple of beers.

Obviously then there are the other lakes in the main part which are great also but depending on time of year will be lots of tourists.

the northwest you are not too far of a drive to see Dingle to see "Fungi" the Dolphin; but even closer is to go south to Kenmare which has some nice pubs and restaurants.

I have a lovely ancient picture of a jaunting car at Muckross in the place I call Kitchen.  Sadly, Fungie is no longer with us.

TrenterPercenter

Not according to my mother; she says Fungie just went on a long holiday for a bit and has now returned - I've no idea if she has imagined this or whether there was quite obviously a vested interest in finding another Fungie for tourist reasons.

Buelligan

Let Shoulders have your mum's address and she can walk him round there and show him Fungie swimming out in Dingle Bay.  Everyone's happy.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 02, 2021, 10:23:52 AM
Shuttle bus takes you there and back http://www.killarneyshuttlebus.com/muckross-route/

Ah cheers, I'll probably walk the lake bits around there to be honest, looks all gettable in a day. Might need a bus out to Gap of Dunloe though, and of course getting out to Kenmare if I head that way.

Glebe

You can stop in Dublin and visit me on the way. However I will only communicate with you through CaB, even though we will be sitting in my kitchen eating buttered scones.

Seriously though, going down to Waterford in a couple weeks. Never been.

EOLAN

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 02, 2021, 09:44:41 AM

I thought Fungi was now effectively Resting in peace.

SOMK

You can walk from Killarney to Torc waterfall easily enough, takes about an hour, taxi is about €15, Torc mountain is a very nice gentle climb, extremely scenic and leads into the ring of Kerry walk. Haven't done it but am told a guided hike up Carrauntoohil tallest mountain in Ireland is worth doing. Unguided less so as it's a tricky climb and you might die.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 02, 2021, 09:49:55 AM

Thomas

If you visit Killarney National Park and Torc, you might be lucky enough to observe the red deer.

Dingle is a picturesque little place, but I've only ever been there during the annual Other Voices festival, when the cosiness is lent a communal drugged-off edge and music plays through the night.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Go and steal Captain Farrell's money-o.

Buelligan

How do you know he's not Captain Farrell?  He can afford a taxi ffs.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Buelligan

Just don't get blutered like a langer-o and puke in the back.

Paul Calf

Glebe

NoOffenceLynn

Yeah, Fungie the Dolphin went to sleep with the fishes a while ago.

And nobody will ever try to speak Gaelic to you, unless you're on the Arran Islands. Where l literally bumped into to lovely auld lads, who said "l'm sorry" in Irish.

Shoulders?-Stomach!