Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:02:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Classic Dr Who (views from someone who knows little of the series)

Started by Fambo Number Mive, August 29, 2021, 06:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Quote from: pigamus on September 05, 2021, 04:06:25 PM
I thought everybody did, but apparently not. I've got all the About Time books, and they don't like Inferno. Same with TARDIS Eruditorum - she doesn't like Inferno either. Odd.

Not when you consider the authors of both are far too clever to like the same stories most other people do.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: pigamus on September 05, 2021, 04:06:25 PMI thought everybody did, but apparently not. I've got all the About Time books, and they don't like Inferno. Same with TARDIS Eruditorum - she doesn't like Inferno either. Odd.

I can see a certain banned member of the forum going on a killing spree here. :-)

FredNurke

Tat Wood (the dominant voice in AT3) doesn't like the Pertwee era, full stop.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 05, 2021, 04:11:45 PM
Not when you consider the authors of both are far too clever to like the same stories most other people do.

Which is why I have no desire to read those books, despite them being right up my street in theory. Page after page of contrary opinions about Doctor Who sounds absolutely exhausting. I'm sure the project isn't entirely based along those lines, but I've read LM's blog, and while he can evidently write, his imperious attitude gets right on my tits.

purlieu

I've no interest in reading anything opinionated by anyone who writes with a sense of authority. That's true of just about everything, but God, those books sound hideous.

daf

I haven't noticed too much contrarian snootiness really - a lot of it is facts and whatnot (what happened in rehearsal, stuff going on at the BBC at the time, anectdotes trotted out at conventions) rather than their personal opinions (the 'Things that don't make sense' column is probably the best bit).

In the later seasons their views tend to diverge a bit more and they introduce a 'Prosecution' and 'Defence' summing up for stories when they don't agree - though neither liked The Two Doctors much, so Rob Shearman contributed a guest 'defence' on that one.

Dex Sawash

Done with the first batch. A young girl, 2 teachers and the doctor go to cavepeople.
The cave people are looking for fire, which was the plot of the episode[nb]4 episodes, just wanted to do the JamesTC tribute[/nb]. Pretty hard to stay engaged and didn't really notice if cave cunts got fire or not.
Too much shrieking 5/10
Daleks up next I think.

Replies From View

Yeah I never bother with the cave man story after the first episode.  It's always bundled together as An Unearthly Child but you could easily skip from that first episode to The Daleks on future viewings.

purlieu

100,000 BC really is a pretty crap story to follow such an incredible opening episode. It's possibly the worst historical (although I'm not fond of The Smugglers at all), and we must be happy that The Daleks followed it and thus allowed the show to keep going. If the second serial was of the same quality as the first it would probably have buried the show forever.
If you're going to be doing a fairly long haul with reviews, do come over to the general Old Doctor Who thread, we could do with some more variation as it's mostly just BluRay speculation and me writing reviews of shit Eighth Doctor novels at the moment.

Norton Canes

Ah no, An Unearthly Child eps 2-4 (Naming controversy? What naming controversy?) are pretty good, as I remember anyway - I've watched them three of four times but not for a few years. It's helpful, at least, that there's a 'vanilla' mini-adventure right at the start so we can familiarise ourselves with the TARDIS crew; it would have been too much to drop these relative strangers straight into a story with the attention-hogging Daleks. And it's actually quite a gritty tale, isn't it? Skulls dashed in by rocks and what have you.

I watch the first episode every November 23rd but usually skip the rest - this time round I'll make sure I refamiliarize myself with the whole thing

Replies From View

I suppose I just wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wants to get a taste of the first Doctor - it's a massively alienating portrayal until the character settles down and stops being such a grumpy, borderline head-stoving wanker.  Fine if people have been prepped to not be blown away by it and lower their expectations a bit.

The format that RTD and Moffat experimented with in different ways is worth considering in this light:  first episode to introduce the characters and mystery, then the second episode throws everyone into the far flung future for immediate alien excitement and scares.  Then a dive into the past for episode three.  That way around still demonstrates the conceptual scope and tonal range of the show but seems more successful than cavemen before Daleks.