Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:16:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who's Been Jabbed With The Vax?

Started by Dr Rock, January 09, 2021, 06:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flotemysost

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 24, 2021, 02:53:36 PM
I tested positive yesterday and have been feeling rough, rough, rough ever since. Don't want to think what it would've been like if I hadn't been double vaccinated.

I'm sorry to hear that. I have a few mates who've tested positive since being double jabbed, including a couple who are clinically vulnerable - they've pulled through but had a ropey week or two in the meantime. Hope you (and anyone else currently living la 'vid-a loca) are doing alright.

As it happens, a while after my second jab, I spent an evening basically being as far as you can get from socially distant with someone[nb]I cooked and ate him, in case you were thinking that was some sort of sexy humblebrag[/nb] who unfortunately tested positive a couple of days later (also double jabbed and asymptomatic, but found out via a PCR taken for work) - I was convinced there was no way I couldn't have caught it too, but nada. Which probably mainly just means I lucked out, but also gives me additional hope that these things really do work and people need to get it in them, stat.

The stuff about waning efficiency does frighten me, but as others on here are saying, I'm trying to not panic and still rejoice in the fact that we have a vaccine which demonstrably massively reduces severe illness. It sounds silly but I get a bit surprised clicking on this thread of late and seeing people are still getting jabbed - it does make me realise how lucky I've been but also hammers home that this thing ain't over yet.

Ferris

Re: waning efficiency - we'll just get annual boosters for a few years like flu jabs. Not my idea of a good time but it is doable. A year ago we were fucked, no vaccine just lock down and hope for the best. A year later many (most?) of us on here are fully vaccinated.

It's easy to focus on the worst of all this, but the toughest part for me was the first few months. This is (comparatively) far easier.

zomgmouse

Got my first dose a couple of days ago (Pfizer), felt a bit tired (possibly also just from bad sleep) and my arm was sore but that was basically it.

olliebean

Still unclear if boosters are needed. The waning efficacy seems to relate only to protection against infection - protection against severity of illness seems to be holding up - and it strikes me this is pretty much as expected: the antibodies wear off, thus the front-line defences - the pre-emptive ones that protect against infection in the first place - wane, but the immune system retains other defences, along with the ability to make the antibodies quickly when needed, to fight off any future infection when it occurs, before it gets too bad. Or have I misunderstood how it works?

flotemysost

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 25, 2021, 11:05:52 PM
Re: waning efficiency - we'll just get annual boosters for a few years like flu jabs. Not my idea of a good time but it is doable. A year ago we were fucked, no vaccine just lock down and hope for the best. A year later many (most?) of us on here are fully vaccinated.

It's easy to focus on the worst of all this, but the toughest part for me was the first few months. This is (comparatively) far easier.

Yeah, that's how I'm understanding it - likewise I have to keep reminding myself of the position we were in this time last year and try not to slide into either complacency or despair. I spend a significant proportion of my waking hours feeling groggy and lethargic anyway, so one extra day a year's gonna be a slice of piss.

As an aside, every time I read the word "waning" on this forum I instinctively assume it's a typo.

Ferris

Yeah it's shit for all sorts of reasons but it is at least appreciably shit. I understand the shitness of it - some level of (not too imposing) restrictions, vaccines that basically work but might need annual boosters, a disease that largely bumps off the elderly (albeit not without danger for everyone else).

It isn't good (it's far from it, I'm really worried for my relatives over 60) but I understand what the risk is sort of.

March and April 2020 were really scary for me - we were sanitizing our shopping bags and staying inside 24hrs a day (well, one of us taking our son out every other day so I'd see sunlight every 3 days for 30 minutes). Being the owner/operator of a small child made it pretty terrifying. Will we be ok? What about if we both end up in the hospital or the morgue? That was absolutely no fun at all. I went nearly 2 years without seeing my parents (they flew back 2 weeks ago and who knows when I'll see them again? And that's to say nothing of the rest of my family and siblings...)

We aren't out of this, people will die and that is shitty and no fun at all (and that's to say nothing of the poor fuckers in the developing world who are getting nothing which is an absolute moral scandal), but we are measurably further ahead and closer to beating this thing - whether that means fully eradicating it (doubtful) or just making it a quantifiable threat that is always gonna be there for the medium term at least.

I don't know what my point is really, just that it's not as bleak as it was (while acknowledging that yeah it's still fairly shit).

Drygate

Do we know that boosters will continue to bring the levels of protection back to what they were after the second jab?

Is it as simple as each new booster giving another 4 to 6 months protection?

MojoJojo

Quote from: Drygate on August 27, 2021, 09:26:19 AM
Do we know that boosters will continue to bring the levels of protection back to what they were after the second jab?

Is it as simple as each new booster giving another 4 to 6 months protection?

Basically unknowable at this point.

mothman

Took eldest (sixteen and a half) to a walk-in centre this evening to get Pfizered. 👍

Pink Gregory

Had me second Moderna yesterday; they made me have it standing up, for...reasons?  Very efficient.

Arm hurts more than last time, but I'm anticipating further.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Relative refused to get vaccinated ever since his age group came up. No medical exemption and certainly no reason beyond the usual bollocks about not being a sheep. Super relaxed about masks, never bothers etc

He's now 7 days into isolating with covid and has told virtually no one to avoid the inevitable I told you so's.  Nothing really to say here I just need to vent because he's been a total tit and it probably won't change anything.

Drygate

Did he trust the PCR or think it was a false positive?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

One of my flatmates refuses to get jabbed. They are not an antivaxxer in general, but they cite concerns over potential long term side effects - apparently a friend of theirs got chronically ill after the vaccination (no idea of the actual cause) and none of my anecdotal evidence of it being safe is old enough yet to fulfil the 'long term' part.

It's rather worrying, both for them and the rest of us, as they maintain an active social life (pub etc.) which may actually fuel their conviction that the virus is less of a worry than the vaccine, since they've been fine so far.

popcorn

That's very frustrating. The only possible response is to say that we have an enormous amount of data to show the very serious harm from covid and an enormous amount of data to show the very low risk of harm from the vaccine. People get fixated on anecdotal experiences.

Drygate

Have you tried putting their age and health conditions into one of those covid risk calculator things?

Kankurette

I've got a sore throat and I hope it's not COVID. Will test tomorrow.

Fambo Number Mive

Hope your test is negative, and that your throat feels better soon.

Kankurette

Thanks. I told the trial people and I've got to ring them tomorrow if I'm still ill. In the meantime, I'm not allowed to go the Beabadoobee gig tonight, which I'm annoyed about but tbh I feel like shit anyway. What worries me is that 1) I saw my brother after the Everton match and 2) I'm supposed to be going to Hull on Friday with mates to see Space.

Between my throat and Gary being a pain in the arse because he couldn't decide whether he wanted to go in or out, I did not sleep much last night. Happy New Year to me.

ETA: lateral flow test was negative but I still have to do the PCR ones.

JaDanketies

Felt fluey and chills last night, with a temperature, and now ive got a tight chest, which is unusual. Lateral flow was negative but I've never felt ill in this way before.

Fambo Number Mive

How are you feeling now? Did you get a PCR?

Buelligan

Quote from: popcorn on September 06, 2021, 04:44:03 PM
That's very frustrating. The only possible response is to say that we have an enormous amount of data to show the very serious harm from covid and an enormous amount of data to show the very low risk of harm from the vaccine. People get fixated on anecdotal experiences.

Could I just say, I had every intention of getting vaccinated, I don't have transport but asked the old fellow that I share petrol to the shops with if he would take me.  I wanted to arrange it for my day off, just in case I had a bad reaction, I'd have a day to rest.  I explained all of this to him, said I'd call him with a date for the appointment, once I had it.  Anyway, due to other serious urgent life issues, the first week I could have done it, I didn't.  Thought I'd arrange it for the following week.

This old man went absolutely apeshit at me.  Wouldn't listen to me at all.  It was really insane, like he was my dad, I was under ten and he'd caught me burning down the school or something.  I didn't do it the first week I possibly could have, so that was me, permanently othered.

Now, I can't speak for everyone but for me, at least, I earn my own living, I chop my own wood and fix my own roof, I nursed myself, alone, through Covid when I had it, I'm an adult.  This religious-style Brexity ranting at people is dangerous stuff.  All this us-and-them-ing.  Certainly, try it with me and you'll never, ever, force me to do whatever bollocks you want from me (even if I was quite happy to do it in the first place). 

So just saying here, sure, it's natural to tribe up but, where public health is concerned, or any serious thing, like Brexit, for instance, this kind of behaviour is extremely counterproductive IMO.  Try not to indulge in it if at all possible.  Sometimes we have to treat people with the respect we want to be treated with, for our own good as well as everyone elses.

Chedney Honks

Fuck off anti-vax idiot. You should be thrown in a dungeon and dissolved.

Fambo Number Mive

I have been wondering how people in rural areas who don't have cars get the vaccine. Some kind of vaccine bus going round small villages twice a day would be a good idea.

mothman

Yes but it wouldn't work in America the police would assume it was people being bussed around to buy Sudafed to make crystal meth.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on October 09, 2021, 04:23:53 PM
How are you feeling now? Did you get a PCR?

No, feeling a little better but still got a tight chest. I read a news article and associated reddit thread about a cold / flu that was going round that had very similar symptoms. We're all isolating anyway, you really feel inclined to do so these days when you're peaky.

Got no energy now though. Showering and dressing was a load of effort, wiped me out

Ferris

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on October 10, 2021, 09:04:29 AM
I have been wondering how people in rural areas who don't have cars get the vaccine. Some kind of vaccine bus going round small villages twice a day would be a good idea.

There is a provincial vaccine car service here - you book a vaccine then tell them you don't have a car or can't get there, and they'll send someone to drive you there. I think it is volunteer run but organized by the province?

There's also a vaccine bus that goes out to the boonies once or twice a month - you can get your first shot, then get your second when they come back round.

The outreach has been good here, but I suppose that's just good planning when you live in a giant forest.

Blue Jam

Scotland deployed mobile vaccination units in the Highlands and islands. And those places reached a high level of vaccine coverage long before we managed it here in the Central Belt:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-57749045

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on October 10, 2021, 09:04:29 AM

The vaccine bus is comin' and everybody's coughin'
Penzance through Fort William
A countrywide free vacc-o,
The needles of steel are jabbin', but idiots are resistin'
So if you like to survive,
Get on and jab your arm

JaDanketies

Eight days from me having my initial symptoms and I finally feel capable of eating a full meal. I actually got a little teary-eyed making it. Initially I told anyone who listened that I had fibromyalgia, and now I've been saying it's long COVID, except for apparently long COVID lasts for several weeks and not a mere eight days.  Still not recovered though, if I focus for half an hour I get tired. I keep needing to sit down and take a rest whenever I do anything physically-exerting at all, such as shower.

It was essentially disabling. If you can't do my fuckin job then you can't do any job. Might've just been the bad cold going round, except for I didn't have any cold symptoms. It really just feels like something's done a number on my my nervous system. Maybe the poor focus is a side-effect of the inability to eat anything, although I've been trying to keep my vitamins up and get whatever energy I can into me.

Hope I manage to keep all this weight off though. NHS website says the doctors aren't even interested in hearing me moan at them until I've had these symptoms for a month.

Yesterday when I woke up I was so sick and tired I thought about self harm - not like I'm gonna -  but my brain lovingly flashes self-mutilation imagery to my mind's eye when I'm particularly depressed. When I saw this familiar mental montage I thought, "wow, I can't believe I'm thinking like this just because I'm a bit poorly." I absolutely could not cope with long COVID. Months and months of this, no end in sight, and with medical experts not really having a clue what the long-term prognosis is? I dread to think mate

TIL if you write m-8 on CaB it autocorrects it to mate

Dex Sawash

r n 8  scrunched together used to work but barry got wise