Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:58:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stephen Graham on " The One Show" This Past Monday

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, September 08, 2021, 08:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Did any other of the boys and girls of CaB see this? He was promoting forthcoming Covid/ Care Home one- off Drama " Help", in which he plays a young feller with early onset dementia. I suppose being a scouser, his terrible affliction will involve him claiming several giros[nb]I know they're not a thing nowadays[/nb] cos he forgets every time he claims one, and stealing an entire car, but leaving the hub caps behind.
Anyway, it was quite refreshing to hear Stephen's splendid Scouse accent in full effect, and I look forward to hearing it and witnessing his top acting skills in this interesting sounding drama. I've already got someone standing by for recording action back in Blighty, but I'm sure I'll be able to watch it one way or the other.
I trust all the other interesting television drama fans of CaB will be giving it a watch?

Norton Canes

Who is this Stephen Graham bloke? Has he been in much lately?

phantom_power

He is a pretty phenomenal actor so it doesn't bother me that he seems to be ubiquitous at the moment. He is terrifying in This is England

Blue Jam

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 08, 2021, 08:51:09 AM
I'm sure I'll be able to watch it one way or the other.

I'm sure you will you dirty old bollocks.

I'd be up for a bit of Scouse drama if only it was about anything other than fucking Covid, so I'll be giving this one a miss I'm afraid.

shiftwork2

Love the 'scousers on the dole stealing items' hot take.

ProvanFan

He's playing one of the hijackers in an upcoming 9/11 drama. Accent tbc.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 08, 2021, 10:16:11 AM
I'm sure you will you dirty old bollocks.

I'd be up for a bit of Scouse drama if only it was about anything other than fucking Covid, so I'll be giving this one a miss I'm afraid.

But...but....Stephen Graham giving a convincing, moving  portrayal of some poor bloke suffering from early onset dementia, using his own lovely Scouse accent, none of that Yankee Doodle Dandy stuff he pulled in " The Irishman"! Why, he night even make a couple of faces! Come on, missus, give it a watch!

Icehaven

The trailer for this makes it look like it's just about Covid. I'm not really a drama watcher so probably wouldn't have watched it anyway but I wonder how many people will see the trailer and think the last thing they want to watch on TV is a drama about the pandemic we've just lived through/are still in.

bgmnts

Haha scousers are cheeky dole scroungers arent they lollll

Alberon

He's giving it the full scouse in Code 404 the slightly humorous Sky Comedy show.

Chollis

Quote from: icehaven on September 08, 2021, 11:16:39 AM
The trailer for this makes it look like it's just about Covid. I'm not really a drama watcher so probably wouldn't have watched it anyway but I wonder how many people will see the trailer and think the last thing they want to watch on TV is a drama about the pandemic we've just lived through/are still in.

yeah can't think of anything I'd want to watch less

Butchers Blind

Chollis

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Chollis on September 08, 2021, 11:35:19 AM
yeah can't think of anything I'd want to watch less

Bloody Hell. Well, * I'll* be watching the fucking thing, anyways. Someone's got to support this country's fine dramatic actors. * makes disapproving face, with a hint of " goofy" to it*

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Greetings!
( Said like Joey, the lovable Scouser with his Barry Manilow hair and leather trousers, used to say on hilarious Scouse dolecomedy series " Bread".)

El Unicornio, mang

Are there any other actors in this TV drama that are worth looking out for?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on September 08, 2021, 12:20:15 PM

Ian Hart is in it too.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: phantom_power on September 08, 2021, 09:41:31 AM
He is a pretty phenomenal actor so it doesn't bother me that he seems to be ubiquitous at the moment. He is terrifying in This is England

He is, but I'm half expecting Stephen Graham to be reading the ITV weather next or appearing on Naked Attraction. Take a month off, Steve, and give David Morrissey some work. He's not been on the TV much lately.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 08, 2021, 10:39:47 AM
But...but....Stephen Graham giving a convincing, moving  portrayal of some poor bloke suffering from early onset dementia, using his own lovely Scouse accent, none of that Yankee Doodle Dandy stuff he pulled in " The Irishman"! Why, he night even make a couple of faces! Come on, missus, give it a watch!

Stephen Graham is indeed a good actor but, as the replies to this thread are reminding me, he is in absolutely everything at the moment, so while I could watch him in this, I could just as easily switch to a random channel and find him in absolutely anything else.

(for personal reasons I would also rather avoid anything about dementia right now, sorry)

Blue Jam

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on September 08, 2021, 12:20:15 PM

No, none whatsoever.

JesusAndYourBush

non capisco

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 08, 2021, 01:15:46 PM
(for personal reasons I would also rather avoid anything about dementia right now, sorry)

Yeah, same here. Made the "mistake" of watching The Father and Anthony Hopkins' bang on performance absolutely wrecked me. I was making sobbing noises like Arthur Fowler when he smashed up his front room by the end of that one. So as much as I think Stevie G is incredible (I think his performance in The Virtues is one of the best bits of acting I've seen in anything ever) I'm gonna have to give this one a swerve for a few years, I think.

Hope you're OK, Blue Jam. It's a fucker, innit?

holyzombiejesus

Seen a fair few people calling him out recently due to his repeated dealings with The Sun. Shame as he's undoubtedly a great actor, but pretty appalling for a Liverpool fan and a Scouser to have anything to do with those cunts.

JamesTC

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 08, 2021, 02:49:40 PM
Seen a fair few people calling him out recently due to his repeated dealings with The Sun. Shame as he's undoubtedly a great actor, but pretty appalling for a Liverpool fan and a Scouser to have anything to do with those cunts.

Oh fuck. Hadn't heard of that. Claims to be a Liverpool fan and supports The Sun. In the bin with ya.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: non capisco on September 08, 2021, 02:21:18 PM
Yeah, same here.

Me three. It's amazing how much it seems to be this and only this Issue Which Has Affected Me that makes programmes featuring it nigh impossible to watch - I've recently rewatched The West Wing and there's an episode of that that I had to skip.

QuoteHope you're OK, Blue Jam. It's a fucker, innit?

It's an absolute cunt of the highest order. Love and solidarity to you both.

Blue Jam

Cheers. Being a dementia researcher makes it hard to avoid this stuff anyway, but in any case I don't fancy coming home from werk and spending my free time watching stuff about dementia. I'm sure this is great and powerful stuff but I'll give it a swerve for now.

gilbertharding

There is a new series of the excellent podcast The The One Show Show currently recording, so there's a reasonable chance that they will discuss and dissect this episode soon.

Dusty Substance

He's one of my favourite actors ever but it never quite happened for him, did it? I mean, he's worked with Scorsese and Michael Mann, probably did very nicely financially wise from doing two Pirates Of The Caribbean films, and has had some nice supporting roles in good films over the last decade (Rocketman, Tinker Tailor Solider Spy. The Damned United) but he's been in a whole load of very nothingy kind of films, too.

Given how phenomanally good he is (when I first saw this scene in This Is England, I truly thought we were looking at the British De Niro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crrw2Aqu9to) he ought to have had a huge Hollywood career by now - More akin to Tom Hardy's.

Sure, he's done a bunch of prestige TV shows but he should have had an Oscar nom or two by now.

I see he's due to appear in the new Venom movie later this year and, intriguingly, a new big screen version of Matilda next year - Would be great to see him in more films.