Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:51:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Vegan stuff you recently tried

Started by gib, August 27, 2021, 09:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: flotemysost on September 05, 2021, 09:51:45 PM
Tried this the other day:

Not inedible but it doesn't really taste like tuna. And it had little blobs of clear jelly stuff dispersed throughout, like a Melton Mowbray pork pie or tinned cat food, which was a bit offputting. Even swirling a load of Sriracha mayo into it to make spicy vegan tuna mayo didn't really salvage the situation. It's a (tu)nah from me.

There's another brand doing the rounds called Tuno (as detailed in the 'meat substitutes' thread and I thought it was quite poor. M&S and Boots both do vegan tuna sandwiches and they're ok.

TrenterPercenter

I'm not even vegan and I can tell you all that you are doing vegan wrong.

The key to great vegan eating is the same as it always has been;

Step 1. Acquire vegan ingredients
Step 2. Deep fry in vegan batter
Step 3. Add hot sauce

Thanks, you can close the thread now.

bgmnts

boki

Had a seitan burger at a festival a couple of years ago and it was okay, was expecting better tbh.  I'd have rather had a Linda Macca job.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: bgmnts on September 06, 2021, 10:44:29 AM
Does anyone else here like seitan?

Yep it's fine but you need to be mindful you are not eating anything exotic but just flour gluten i.e. if you suffer when eating gluten then absolutely avoid.  Like tofu and tempeh it is really what you do next with it that makes the difference.

Best of all of these things are however are the deep fried tofu puffs.

flotemysost

Quote from: bgmnts on September 06, 2021, 10:44:29 AM
Does anyone else here like seitan?

I've only ever tried it as various approximations of the "greasy 3AM" genus of foodstuffs, and it works pretty well in that context, I think partly because the texture lends itself well to being sawed into ragged slices like doner kebab meat.

Went to the Hope & Ruin pub in Brighton recently and their (entirely vegan) menu has some pretty decent seitan stuff, kebabs and hotdogs and the like.

The Mollusk

Yeah I've had a greasy ass seitan "chicken" burger in a pub once and it was great. I've not tried it in any other context though. Mostly for that texture I'll stick to tofu, although to be honest I don't cook with it all that often. As mentioned above it's what you do with it, and I almost always take the time to coat it in cornflour and shallow fry it to crisp it up when we have stir fry or I'm doing my world class satay sauce with coconut milk.

Tempeh's pretty tasty as an alternative that doesn't need as much prep to liven up a meal but it's like twice as expensive so that nutty little slab of shit can fuck off.

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on September 05, 2021, 03:24:53 PM
I some Higgidy vegan pork pies. Which are quite nice. However, I ate a couple before reading the packaging and it says it contains peppers, which I don't generally like.

And it really repeated on me. I had the other two pies yesterday morning and I had a strange burning feeling in my stomach for the rest of the day. No doubt if I told certain members of my family about this they'd accuse me of imagining it. Because everyone should like every type of food and anyone who says they don't is just being difficult.

Seitan's okay. I wouldn't worship it though.

holyzombiejesus

I've only had seitan once, in a burger in Paris, and it was possibly the nicest burger I've ever had. Magnifique!

The Mollusk

Sorry to hear the Higgidy stuff fucked you up Jockice. I bloody love their stuff, the ultimate supermarket picnic grub I reckon.

Jockice

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 07, 2021, 09:39:58 AM
Sorry to hear the Higgidy stuff fucked you up Jockice. I bloody love their stuff, the ultimate supermarket picnic grub I reckon.

I wouldn't say it exactly fucked me up. It was just a slightly unpleasant feeling. I've tried some of their other stuff (their veggie/vegan pies manly) and they are great. Can only get them in the local Waitrose though, which I don't go to often, so when I saw the fake pork ones in Tesco I thought I'd try them out. It's just that peppers and me don't mix. I can't say I wasn't warned though. It mentions the things on the front of the packet.

TrenterPercenter

Tried some of that vegan bumming the other day, it was great!

Muchos grassi-arse.

bgmnts

Somehow managed to get a job with the council today so if my anxiety doesn't ruin it I'm planning to go to Germany in the next couple of months.

I have read that Berlin is a vegan paradise. Has anyone been there and tried some restaurants?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: bgmnts on September 07, 2021, 08:57:12 PM
Somehow managed to get a job with the council today so if my anxiety doesn't ruin it I'm planning to go to Germany in the next couple of months.

I have read that Berlin is a vegan paradise. Has anyone been there and tried some restaurants?

Congrats bgmnts!

Dex Sawash

Famous vegans neville chamberlain and baby hitler are there

Dex Sawash

gib

Somehow managed to get a job with the council today

That's fucking brilliant mate, we're all proud of you. From what i've heard councils are usually good employers. It'll be a bit stressful at first but it will get easier so stick with it if you can.

imitationleather

Very pleased to hear this. Well done!

flotemysost

Congrats bgmnts! I've only been to Berlin once years ago and I don't think I ate anything that wasn't meat, but I'm sure you're not wrong.

Cold Meat Platter

I thought I'd be a bit self-righteous today. Not for me. Aaaaaaah!

The Dog

Strange people Vegans. I certainly won't be visiting Vega any time soon, that's for sure.

peanutbutter

Had a Beyond Burger a few days ago, was crazy good, I suspect on average depending on the quality of cook that it would be better than  an actual burger. Probs gonna buy a few for my family to try and blow their minds a bit.

bgmnts

For good burgers, you want Moving Mountains or No Bull burgers.

Juicy as fuck. Think they're pea protein mix. Honest to god they are incredible when cooked well.

peanutbutter

Quote from: bgmnts on September 08, 2021, 10:45:55 PM
For good burgers, you want Moving Mountains or No Bull burgers.

Juicy as fuck. Think they're pea protein mix. Honest to god they are incredible when cooked well.
cheers! From a quick google No Bull burgers are a fair bit cheaper? Any idea which shops stock each?

bgmnts

Quote from: peanutbutter on September 08, 2021, 10:54:13 PM
cheers! From a quick google No Bull burgers are a fair bit cheaper? Any idea which shops stock each?

Moving Mountains would be Sainsburys and No Bull is Iceland. At least they're in stock round here.

They're both pretty much as nice as each other but moving mountains just about edges it. But yeah No Bull is cheaper and probably better option for that.

Dex Sawash

Burger King Impossible Whopper is vegan if you skip the mayonnaise[nb]dex fans may recall I do not like mayonnaise anyway [/nb] and it is indistinguishable from a dirty fast food burger. Dunno if they are sold outside of usa though.

Jockice

I had a Moving Mountains burger when I went for a pub lunch yesterday. Fox House at Hathersage. Just thought you'd like to know.

Tom Tortoise

Leon 'Korean-style Chilli mayo' , bought it in Sainsbury's. Excellent stuff!

Pieminister 'Mooless Moo' pie which is like a steak and ale but made with jackfruit. Another excellent one

Co-op's own brand ('Gro') oat milk is only 85p a carton and tastes great.

bgmnts

Quote from: Jockice on September 09, 2021, 06:18:40 AM
I had a Moving Mountains burger when I went for a pub lunch yesterday. Fox House at Hathersage. Just thought you'd like to know.

Thoughts?

canadagoose

Quote from: Dex Sawash on September 08, 2021, 11:40:26 PM
Burger King Impossible Whopper is vegan if you skip the mayonnaise[nb]dex fans may recall I do not like mayonnaise anyway [/nb] and it is indistinguishable from a dirty fast food burger. Dunno if they are sold outside of usa though.
They are very good (and it's vegan mayo they use in it here I think) - it's clearly not meat, but I highly recommend it. It's also gluten-free (without the bun, obviously)!