Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:57:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stephen Graham on " The One Show" This Past Monday

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, September 08, 2021, 08:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

https://youtu.be/yqHoAPb_XVY

Here is actual footage of what is sure to go down in " The One Show" lore as the most impressive appearance by a Scouse actor, with this one. You can just imagine the young Him Who Played Combo having posters for " Taxi Driver" and " The Godfather" vying for space with the Kenny Dalglish and Sonia posters on his teenaged bedroom wall, can't you? Have to say, I admired the humility, articulacy and really nice pair of trainers of yer man in this video. Must admit, I agree with most of the comments under that video, too.

Icehaven

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 09, 2021, 04:08:00 AMhe ought to have had a huge Hollywood career by now - More akin to Tom Hardy's.

This will sound brutally shallow but that's not a great comparison as Tom Hardy is/can be a traditionally extremely handsome, buff, leading man type (despite the teeth...) and Stephen Graham can't. Graham's probably the better actor but he's not going to get a lot of the kind of parts Hollywood chucks at people like Tom Hardy because they want someone conventionally very attractive whether the part calls for it or not (and in some of the higher profile stuff Hardy's done like superhero franchises and romcoms it usually does anyway.)

studpuppet

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 09, 2021, 04:08:00 AM
Sure, he's done a bunch of prestige TV shows but he should have had an Oscar nom or two by now.

I think it's because his head and shoulder shape is too reminiscent of a Weeble to be truly Hollywood A-list.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

^ well, he certainly wouldn't get the lead role in a remake of top Michael Douglas film " Falling Down"  !!! 😂😹☻

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

He's also got that Neil Innes facial thing of always looking quite sad, so no comedy roles for him.

jobotic

When my son was little Stephen Graham appeared on CBeebies reading the bedtime story. I'd been watching him as Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire that week. Very hard not to feel an air of menace behind the story.

buzby

Technically, he's from Kirkby and his accent is an example of the concentrated 'Super Scouse' that developed when families from areas surrounding the city centre were shipped out to the semi-rural new estates in Kirkby, Huyton, Cantril Farm and Halewood in the post-war slum clearances.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Girls who fancy Stephen Graham! Now that you're aware of his provenance, should you see Stephen Graham out and about in public, don't, whatever you do, in a bid to try and impress him by demonstrating that you know where he's from,  approach him and say " I don't half fancy you, Stephen Graham, give us a a Kirkby Kiss!". It means " Headbutt." ( I doubt very much The Actor Stephen Graham would actually headbutt you, a lovely lady, but best to err on the side of caution ,all the same).

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 08, 2021, 02:49:40 PM
Seen a fair few people calling him out recently due to his repeated dealings with The Sun. Shame as he's undoubtedly a great actor, but pretty appalling for a Liverpool fan and a Scouser to have anything to do with those cunts.

I looked into this a couple of weeks ago when I saw a tweet about it. It seems that he accepted an award from The Sun's Bizarre column in 2007 for best actor for This Is England.

You could maybe forgive that if he issued a grovelling apology for making a stupid mistake early in his career, but it's easy find plenty of mentions of him on The Sun website when he's "exclusively revealed" stuff to them in recent years.

Fuck him.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: phantom_power on September 08, 2021, 09:41:31 AM
He is terrifying in This is England

Is that the performance that made loads of people pay more attention to him?

Icehaven

The Sun stuff genuinely surprises me. I mean I don't know much about him but surely anyone famous from within a hundred miles of Liverpool having anything to do with them ever is the professional equivalent of taking an Uzi to their big toe, particularly if it could be construed that The Sun's interest is partly/mostly motivated by trying to win back some favour in that part of the world.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: icehaven on September 09, 2021, 08:09:16 AM
This will sound brutally shallow but that's not a great comparison as Tom Hardy is/can be a traditionally extremely handsome, buff, leading man type (despite the teeth...) and Stephen Graham can't. Graham's probably the better actor but he's not going to get a lot of the kind of parts Hollywood chucks at people like Tom Hardy because they want someone conventionally very attractive whether the part calls for it or not (and in some of the higher profile stuff Hardy's done like superhero franchises and romcoms it usually does anyway.)

This is totally true. So maybe not the same roles as Tom Hardy, but he should at least be in gigantic blockbusters playing villains. Just saw that he got third billing in a Tom Hanks film from last year called Greyhound, so I guess he is kind of doing it do a degree.

Quote from: studpuppet on September 09, 2021, 09:25:25 AM
I think it's because his head and shoulder shape is too reminiscent of a Weeble to be truly Hollywood A-list.

*trailer voice* "Coming soon..... Christopher Nolan's Weeble Begins...."
Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 09, 2021, 12:26:02 PM
Is that the performance that made loads of people pay more attention to him?

I'd say so. It's still his defining role. Can't say for sure but I'm sure when most people think of Stephen Graham's movie roles they think of Combo.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: icehaven on September 09, 2021, 08:09:16 AM

This is true. Hollywood is very superficial in that way. Hardy is your traditional "leading man" whereas Graham is more your "character actor".

So in Hancock Will Smith is the hero and Stephen Graham is robbing the bank. I struggle to imagine how Graham's career could have gone any better in the actual real world that exists. He was in the Irishman opposite Pacino and De Niro not two years ago.

Dusty Substance

I just Googled "Stephen Graham height" and he's pretty small. At 5ft4 he's not as tall as famously short leading men Tom Cruise and Robert Downey Jr. A big performance and camera trickery can make an actor seem taller (Tom Hardy isn't as tall as people might expect) but, assuming that Google result is correct, this is probably another reason he didn't have the career he deserved.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

5 foot 4?? That's not much taller than Ronnie Corbett!  I am now envisioning yer man , leaning forward in his big leather chair, delivering his humorous monologue ( " So, I was speaking to the editor of " The Sun"....") ( instead of " The Producer").The actress who plays Sarah the Care Worker in the forthcoming drama what he's also in towers over him at a Tall Lady- tastic 5 foot 8.

2:1 he rocks up as a seal in the penultimate episode of Vigil.

ProvanFan

ProvanFan

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Could have easily been in the LOTR/Hobbit films. What was his agent playing at? He'd have been perfect as a halfling.

El Unicornio, mang

He was in Snatch and Gangs of New York around that time mind, not bad for the start of his career.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Safe to say he's been typecast as a gangster then, unless it's a British TV drama he's in.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 09, 2021, 03:51:19 PM
Safe to say he's been typecast as a gangster then, unless it's a British TV drama he's in.
He's playing a detective in that new Venom film.

Custard

He was good in The Irishman. But he shouldn't have been late for the meeting OR arrive wearing shorts, so he let himself down there

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 09, 2021, 12:37:22 PM
maybe not the same roles as Tom Hardy, but he should at least be in gigantic blockbusters playing villains.
Should he?

I expect many actors would sell their souls for his career. He might not be a household name in America but, as noted, he's not exactly hurting for jobs, most of which are very well regarded.

bobloblaw

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 08, 2021, 12:28:45 PM
Ian Hart is in it too.

plus Sue Johnston, Cathy Tyson and Andrew Schofield.

It's one Ricky Tomlinson away from a Scouse bingo full house.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: bobloblaw on September 10, 2021, 03:09:44 PM
plus Sue Johnston, Cathy Tyson and Andrew Schofield.

It's one Ricky Tomlinson away from a Scouse bingo full house.

Nah, needs Victor McGuire for that.

Bronzy

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 09, 2021, 05:44:28 PM
He was good in The Irishman. But he shouldn't have been late for the meeting OR arrive wearing shorts, so he let himself down there

You have to take traffic into account.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 09, 2021, 06:52:24 PM
Should he?

I expect many actors would sell their souls for his career. He might not be a household name in America but, as noted, he's not exactly hurting for jobs, most of which are very well regarded.

Yeah, I have a friend in America who has been trying the acting thing his whole life alongside working in bars, and the main section of his acting reel on imdb is his 5 second appearance as a SHIELD agent in Avengers End Game. From his and his friends/family's perspective it's an amazing achievement, but to actually have proper roles in films alongside De Niro, Pacino, Depp and getting on chat shows regularly is a whole other level. We tend to compare less successful actors to the biggest actors, rather than to the vast majority of actors who never make a living from it at all.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Perhaps your friend is just a bit rubbish at acting?

mothman

I'd normally watch this show, it's so very much my kind of thing, but it has that Jodie Comer in it. I can't stand her. She is unattractive, can't act and has only one facial expression.